PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

BigB08822
01-06-2012, 09:05 PM
New Orleans, please. :) Not necessarily 2014 but just whenever!

TanithandBenFan
01-06-2012, 09:19 PM
New Orleans, please. :) Not necessarily 2014 but just whenever!

In our dreams. ;)

Rochelle
01-06-2012, 10:13 PM
According to www.worldarena.com/ (http://www.worldarena.com/):
Built in 1998, the Arena is a multipurpose facility with 7343 fixed seats.

I don't know where you got your information, but the World Arena is huge ... even bigger than DU's Magness Arena.

:rofl: My bad! I was looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmoor_World_Arena and I didn't realize the wiki page was for the FORMER World Arena page. Whoops. I've skated there twice, and it sure felt bigger than 3,000 seats... but when I've been an audience member in in primarily 15,000-20,000+ seat arenas and sat/skated in 1,000 seat at most ice rinks... it's hard for me to gauge well enough that it didn't throw me for a red flag. Thanks for the correction!

Rochelle
01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
People here at FSU have made comments about how at the SLC Oly's, the Energy Solutions Arena venue was less than desireable.:( The Maverick Center might work...

Ah, I had forgotten about the audience reports of the nightmare views in the former-Delta center, now Energy Solutions Arena. :shuffle: I see the Maverick Center has 10,000 seats for hockey events, and minor league hockey is currently there. I wonder if anyone has viewed hockey or ice shows there at the Maverick Center to see how the venue is there? Is it located in an ideal area of the city, as well?

Salt Lake City sure is doing a lot of work hosting events for US Figure Skating... I imagine they have the desire/motivation to hold something bigger than ANs / Junior Nationals / Sectionals sometime in the near future. Though, they can keep doing a :kickass: job at hosting competitions at the tier of Regionals, Sectionals, Adult Nationals, etc. if that's their cup of tea. :)

And Jayar -- sk8er1964 is right. There are ways to find :rockstar: in SLC, if you want. It just requires a little extra effort/planning. Hotel bars and most restaurants have it. Not sure about the arenas such as Maverick Center, etc. would have the alcohol in house. Hmmm. I didn't even think about arena alcohol during 2012 Nationals... ;)

Debbie S
01-06-2012, 10:26 PM
New Orleans, please. :) Not necessarily 2014 but just whenever!Hey, I'd go for that. :)

nubka
01-06-2012, 11:07 PM
From a recent participant's perspective (at Adult Nationals), Salt Lake City was an awesome place to have a competition. The LOC for AN did a terrific job, the city was clean and friendly, and there was plenty of sightseeing if one wanted to get away from the skating.

Which venue was it held at?

Rochelle
01-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Which venue was it held at?

Salt Lake City Sports Complex, where they've hosted Sectionals and Junior Nationals as well. It's a beautiful two-rink facility up the hill from downtown, on the Univ. of Utah campus. I'd imagine it'd be used for the practice ice facility. (There are a couple other rinks out in suburbia-ish area that could be as well). There's seating for 250 in one rink, and 2,500 in the other rink. It doesn't have the seating for something as large as Junior or Senior Championship events.

Anyway, I was just throwing details out there, since nubka mentioned it. ;) If SLC were seriously considering bidding for 2014 Nationals this year, I'd assume rumors about it would have come out of Pacific Sectionals in November.

Since the deadline to bid is in less than one month (Feb. 3, 2012), I would assume we'll hear some rumors on here soon -- or at U.S. Nationals -- about who all is turning in bid packets. :)

Garden Kitty
01-07-2012, 12:51 AM
I didn't like the fact that there were no hotels very close to the arena in Greensboro, but all things considered, I'd be happy to go back there again. The volunteers were fantastic and they had an efficient shuttle system. Naturally there was some delay right after an event, but they kept things moving in an organized system and everyone was so helpful.

Plus it was great to have the practice rink in the same building as the main event.

MissIzzy
01-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Nats in DC would be beyond awesome. And there's plenty to do in the area on NYE. ;) But yeah, I don't think DC is bidding. I think the arena is probably too large for current standards.

Not only that, but it's looking like DC might get the NHL Winter Classic in 2014. Would Nationals really want to come in on the heels of that? :cold: Okay, they appeal to pretty different audiences, but still.
It's a pity. I'd love to see Nationals in the Phone Booth.

sk8er1964
01-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Salt Lake City Sports Complex, where they've hosted Sectionals and Junior Nationals as well. It's a beautiful two-rink facility up the hill from downtown, on the Univ. of Utah campus. I'd imagine it'd be used for the practice ice facility. (There are a couple other rinks out in suburbia-ish area that could be as well). There's seating for 250 in one rink, and 2,500 in the other rink. It doesn't have the seating for something as large as Junior or Senior Championship events.

It was practice ice for the Olympics - at least that's what it said in the middle of the ice. :lol:

numbers123
01-07-2012, 05:12 AM
In our dreams. ;)

Well - my dream of Nationals in Omaha came true. Maybe yours will too. ;)

Smiley0884
01-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I would LOVE for nationals to be in Boston!!! That would seriously be amazing!!! And NYE in Boston is fun, lots to do during the day and night. It's about time some major skating events came to New England!

Rob
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Oh I would definitely go for New Orleans sometime!

Frau Muller
01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I thought that it had been discussed a while ago on FSU that large cities in the NE corridor of the US -- NYC, DC, Philly, Boston and the like -- no longer stand a chance of hosting Nationals or any ISU event, due to prohibitive cost of renting venues AND hotel rooms. Greensboro, NC, was a very rare, less-expensive alternative for the East (more Appalachian foothills area).

sk9tingfan
01-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I thought that it had been discussed a while ago on FSU that large cities in the NE corridor of the US -- NYC, DC, Philly, Boston and the like -- no longer stand a chance of hosting Nationals or any ISU event, due to prohibitive cost of renting venues AND hotel rooms. Greensboro, NC, was a very rare, less-expensive alternative for the East (more Appalachian foothills area).

Based on the prices both in San Jose and Omaha, I've been disabused of that theory. It used to be true, but $150/night hotel rooms and $100 shuttles with >$900 all event ticket prices no longer fall under the rubric of reasonable.