PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Rochelle
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I heard that Greensboro will submit a bid for 2014. I doubt they'll get the event as it is right before the Olympics and I'd assume Nationals would want a bigger venue.

If the get it.....:cheer2: I'll be there again!

I think US Figure Skating is learning that bigger venues are not always better.

St. Louis 2006 -- 19,150 seats (I was there... an arena half the size would suffice).
Spokane 2010 -- 10,759 seats (raved about attendance sales)

In comparison, Greensboro is 23,500 seats.

And in other comparison, the Broadmoor World Arena -- hosting 4 CC -- has only 7000+ seats. (*Corrected. My 3000 seats was from the former Broadmoor World Arena).

I can't imagine they'll need a venue any larger than Greensboro for 2014. :)

Having watched Japanese and Russian nationals through YouTube the past few years and having seen how small of venues they use, I'm pretty surprised that the USFS has any interest in venues beyond about 12,000 seats. But there's a lot more that goes into the expense of hosting nationals than just venue size. Proximity of practice facilities, hotel availablility - cost - and proximity, expense to fly in officials, cost of ice at practice facility, cost of arena rental, features of arena rental, geographic location, etc.

shan
01-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I heard that Greensboro will submit a bid for 2014. I doubt they'll get the event as it is right before the Olympics and I'd assume Nationals would want a bigger venue.

If the get it.....:cheer2: I'll be there again!

I would love this!!! :cheer2:

I'm hoping that they will bid for Skate America at some point! Given enough time, I think they could draw a decent crowd.

It makes me happy that Greensboro is interested in hosting again!

Rochelle
01-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Still waiting for Salt Lake City. I know it won't ever happen, but I can hope...:shuffle:

Check in with the local Salt Lake figure skating organization (or multi-club council).

The Salt Lake City area has had clubs hosting several qualifying events lately -- including Junior Nationals, Adult Nationals, and Pacific Coast Sectionals in the past 13 months, alone. The complex used for these three events, that would also be used presumably for practice and perhaps the Juvenile and Intermediate events, is beautiful, nice, and warm! Perhaps they're doing so in an effort to gain a bigger competition assignment from US Figure Skating?

The Delta (now Energy Solutions Arena) holds 14,000. The city should be able to meet the rest of the logistical needs.

TanithandBenFan
01-06-2012, 05:05 PM

If they get it.....:cheer2: I'll be there again!

New Year's Eve in Greensboro wouldn't be as exciting as NYE in Boston, but Greensboro did a great job last year. :)

Debbie S
01-06-2012, 05:24 PM
How about 2014 Nationals in DC and 2015 Worlds in Boston (since DC hosted Worlds in '03 and Boston Nationals in '01)? :)Nats in DC would be beyond awesome. And there's plenty to do in the area on NYE. ;) But yeah, I don't think DC is bidding. I think the arena is probably too large for current standards.

Greensboro blocked off the entire upper deck, so it looked more filled on TV. Cleveland did the same thing 3 years ago, I believe.

genevieve
01-06-2012, 05:46 PM
How about 2014 Nationals in DC and 2015 Worlds in Boston (since DC hosted Worlds in '03 and Boston Nationals in '01)? :)

I would love a Nats in DC, since I have friends that I could impose myself on :D

madm
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM
And in other comparison, the Broadmoor World Arena -- hosting 4 CC -- has only 3,000 seats.

According to www.worldarena.com/ (http://www.worldarena.com/):
Built in 1998, the Arena is a multipurpose facility with 7343 fixed seats.

I don't know where you got your information, but the World Arena is huge ... even bigger than DU's Magness Arena.

nubka
01-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Check in with the local Salt Lake figure skating organization (or multi-club council).

The Salt Lake City area has had clubs hosting several qualifying events lately -- including Junior Nationals, Adult Nationals, and Pacific Coast Sectionals in the past 13 months, alone. The complex used for these three events, that would also be used presumably for practice and perhaps the Juvenile and Intermediate events, is beautiful, nice, and warm! Perhaps they're doing so in an effort to gain a bigger competition assignment from US Figure Skating?

The Delta (now Energy Solutions Arena) holds 14,000. The city should be able to meet the rest of the logistical needs.

People here at FSU have made comments about how at the SLC Oly's, the Energy Solutions Arena venue was less than desireable.:( The Maverick Center might work...

Carolla5501
01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I think the dates are so bad that this one could have issues no matter WHO hosts it.

purple skates
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM
People here at FSU have made comments about how at the SLC Oly's, the Energy Solutions Arena venue was less than desireable.:( The Maverick Center might work...

From a recent participant's perspective (at Adult Nationals), Salt Lake City was an awesome place to have a competition. The LOC for AN did a terrific job, the city was clean and friendly, and there was plenty of sightseeing if one wanted to get away from the skating.

Rob
01-06-2012, 06:36 PM
I'd put in a plug for Atlanta since I just spent NYE there with friends and we want to make it a tradition. Would work great staying for the weekend.

acraven
01-06-2012, 06:39 PM

Aah, my favorite hobby horse: the abomination that is the former Delta Center! That venue is nat acceptable for figure skating events, and I would be shocked if USFS gave it the slightest consideration. Sight lines are so bad that when they had 1999 Nationals there, all-event ticket holders were offered the chance to cancel their orders shortly before the event when USFS (belatedly) realized how poor the views were. I think nearly every seat was obstructed-view to some degree; you had to switch from looking at the ice to looking up at the Jumbotron, then back to the ice. Really dreadful.

I'd be happy to return to Salt Lake City (great restaurants downtown), but not to that venue.

Jayar
01-06-2012, 08:10 PM
From a recent participant's perspective (at Adult Nationals), Salt Lake City was an awesome place to have a competition. The LOC for AN did a terrific job, the city was clean and friendly, and there was plenty of sightseeing if one wanted to get away from the skating.

But no :rockstar::rockstar::rockstar::rockstar::rockstar: because of the silly laws.

purple skates
01-06-2012, 08:15 PM
No! They allow :nopryde: now. I was even able to buy beer at a gas station on our way to Bryce Canyon National Park.

maureenfarone
01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I thought Atlanta's Phillips Arena was great! Being connected to the CNN center was very nice and there was a fairly good food court. BUT, and it is a big BUT, the secondary arena was in Gwinnet County and about 30 miles away. I only went once because coming back into Atlanta in traffic took more than an hour on the shuttle bus :eek:. I missed a large part of the championship pairs competition even though I thought I allowed plenty of time to get back into the city.