PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

Carolla5501
06-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Actually I have never been that sure that USFS is that worried about the "consideration for the athletes and thier coaches" Otherwise why would they have done some of the things they have done or allowed some of the changes (Atlanta's "opps we moved practice out of the city" comes to mind...)

Lutzcy
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
"If" Indianapolis could get their act together and bid on Nationals and "If" World Arena ice stil exists, then it would be an easy 3 block walk between arena and 2 more sheets of ice. :shuffle: :lol:
Hey, I can still hope, can't I? :rolleyes:

peibeck
06-04-2012, 11:18 PM
"If" Indianapolis could get their act together and bid on Nationals and "If" World Arena ice stil exists, then it would be an easy 3 block walk between arena and 2 more sheets of ice. :shuffle: :lol:

I will hope with you! I'm still wuzrobbing Kansas City for losing bids two years in a row. :lol:

madm
06-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Where are the rinks you are talking about? The Pan Am Plaza rinks are OK for practices. The Bankers Life Fieldhouse (where the Pacers play) is where the Indiana Ice minor league hockey team is supposed to play next year. It would be awesome!

B.Cooper
06-05-2012, 02:34 AM
The best secondary rink arrangements I remember in the past 8 years were in Portland, Spokane, and Greensboro. In Portland at the Rose Quarter, the Novice events and practices were held across a plaza at the convention center where tank ice was set up. It was a 1 minute walk between the convention center and the arena. In Spokane in 2007, the secondary rink was set up in a convention center adjacent to the host hotel and connected by a hotel walkway. That rink was only a one mile walk from the big arena, and the shuttle busses were city busses that ran every 10 minutes, so they were super convenient. My favorite host city was Portland because of the convenient two rink arrangement and the superb transportation options (there were USFS shuttle busses plus free light rail that you could pick up one block from the hotel and ride about 10 minutes to the Rose Quarter).

Honestly, the convenience for fans to watch practices takes a back seat to the considerations for the athletes and their coaches. When practices are separated by great distances, it creates a scheduling nightmare for coaches who have multiple skaters in multiple disciplines and levels. Most skaters have to bring two coaches to Nationals now in order to handle the scheduling conflicts.

Another great facility would be Columbus, OH Nationwide Arena. Second sheet of ice for practice under the same roof!
http://www.nationwidearena.com/arena/

Rochelle
06-05-2012, 04:30 AM

The ifs are the issue. :) But it's great that Indianapolis is a desired city to bid/host it!

Where are the rinks you are talking about? The Pan Am Plaza rinks are OK for practices. The Bankers Life Fieldhouse (where the Pacers play) is where the Indiana Ice minor league hockey team is supposed to play next year. It would be awesome!

The Pan Am Plaza rinks (actually called the Indiana/World Skating Academy... not the World Arena), is still the home to Indy Challenge. The logistics are fabulous in Indianapolis for such sporting events. The I/WSA 2-rink facility (not the nicest, but hey, it gets the job done for Indy Challenge and ice is FAR FAR FAR better in January) is only two blocks from The Bankers Life Fieldhouse. There are plenty of hotels within a 5 block walk of both facilities. The mall is directly between the two, there are dozens of places to eat within 5 blocks, plenty of parking, and those flying in don't even need to rent a car due to the $7 round-trip express shuttle to/from the nice new airport.

Unfortunately, a Nationals in Indianapolis just isn't on the radar anytime soon. The amount of skaters in our metro area is perhaps 1/3 of what it was just 20 years ago. The sizes of the clubs now makes it difficult to pull off their own local competitions easily, and as a result no one seems to have the energy to do pursue something so large at this time. Our non-skating city volunteers are great about getting behind huge events like the Super Bowl, NCAA, and various motor sports... but our skating community would have to be 100% behind it, and I'm certain we'll all stretched too thin at the moment for something so big.

Check back in another decade or so. ;) And of course, by then, the I/WSA rink may have found a new home in a far less convenient location. The owners of the building the rink is in (I/WSA simply rents, and does not own) have been trying unsuccessfully to sell the place for many years (7-10+ years, I think)... but the parking garage attached to the building is in such disrepair, that the structure can't really support a mega- or even modest hotel/commercial/residential building... so no one is really interested in the high-priced downtown property in this economy, and I'll be shocked at this rate if it ever sells.

flying~camel
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
USFS just announced that SC of Boston will host 2014 Nationals.

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48163&type=media

genevieve
06-05-2012, 06:02 PM
closing this thread as there is a new one for the official location