PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22

sk9tingfan
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Not that it will really make a difference, but it's a beautiful day here in the Twin Cities - sunny and cool (mid 60s) with low humidity.

Now if we could only flip seasons for Nationals.......:)

kirkbiggestfan
05-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Not that it will really make a difference, but it's a beautiful day here in the Twin Cities - sunny and cool (mid 60s) with low humidity.

It is 77 and sunny in Boston today. Hopefully, the officials have connecting flights via Boston. :lol:

Simone411
05-31-2012, 06:57 PM
EYS, the location for the upcoming 2011 Skate America wasn't announced until March 2011.

On a related note, for all those interested in how event bidding and selection works, here's the USFS page for bid packages (including the PDF for 2012 Skate America):
http://www.usfsa.org/Events.asp?id=324

Finally getting around to reading this thread. Thanks for sharing the link!

kwanfan1818
05-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Wasn't there a fire alarm in the middle of the night at 2003 Worlds in Washington, DC? I seem to remember that...
There was. Plushenko and Mishin first started with issues at US customs and immigration, who gave them a hard time, and then he was awakened by the fire drill. It wasn't an easy competition for him logistically.

I think Michael Weiss mentioned the fire alarm as well.

lexeoe
05-31-2012, 08:26 PM
i wonder if they (USFSA) already visited Boston? hmmm.....

Sylvia
06-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Greensboro News-Record Sports Extra 5/31 blog article: Greensboro makes strong case for 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships (http://www.news-record.com/blog/56101/entry/144978)

It’s been a whirlwind week for them: Boston on Tuesday; Greensboro on Wednesday; St. Paul today [Thursday]. If all goes according to plan, some time next week one of those three cities will be named the host site for the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

It’s a big deal under any circumstances.

It’s a really big deal because 2014 is an Olympic year, and USFS’s nationals serve as a de facto Olympic Trials.

“It’s our most important nationals, the culmination of a four-year cycle, so we look for cities who have done well in the past,” said Kriwanek, a member of the USFS events advisory board. “Greensboro certainly did well (in 2011). The buzz was surprisingly strong. We love the way they presented the competition – the signage, the participation of local sponsors, the attendance, the city’s cooperation with transportation – it was all well done.”

The skaters, coaches and hard-core fans raved about the event’s set-up. Competition was held in the Greensboro Coliseum’s main arena. The practice rink and FanFest were housed in the special events center. It’s the first time all three parts of the nine-day show were under one roof.

And there is Greensboro’s first big advantage in the bid process.

Neither Boston nor St. Paul can put the entire event at the same site. That’s inconvenient. And convenience could be critical in 2014.

TanithandBenFan
06-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I haven't seen the actual dates of the event mentioned in the articles. Do we know when they changed it to?

Sit_spin
06-01-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm biased, since I'm from NC, but I really hope Greensboro gets it!

Also, I wasn't able to go to Nationals in 2011 (we bought tickets, but I had a massive scheduling conflict come up). We were going to make it a family affair, and we can't afford to do that if it's out of state.

Jenna
06-01-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm saying my prayers for Boston! Which venue would host the event there?

DarrellH
06-01-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm biased, since I'm from NC, but I really hope Greensboro gets it!

Also, I wasn't able to go to Nationals in 2011 (we bought tickets, but I had a massive scheduling conflict come up). We were going to make it a family affair, and we can't afford to do that if it's out of state.

Charlotte resident here. Would love to be able to make that short drive to watch!

literaryfreak
06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm saying my prayers for Boston! Which venue would host the event there?

I am pulling for Boston too! But yeah, has it been officially written anywhere which arena would hold it? I thought I had read mentions of Agganis Arena but I can't remember if it was just rumors.

lexeoe
06-02-2012, 03:20 AM
The main event will most likely be at TD Garden if Boston gets the nod.

CoyoteChris
06-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Having spent the better part of 2 days a couple months ago sitting in the "new seats" in the Aquatic Center watching a swim meet, let me tell you that they are NOT comfortable. Think aluminum bleachers. The seat depth was too short also. About the only improvement over ice rink bleachers was it was warm and humid inside the pool area.

Now the airport, I can understand the comments about the airport. If I go back to Greensboro for any reason, I think I would rather fly into RDU and rent a car than fly in/out of Greensboro airport, unless it undergoes significant renovation.

Sorry for the confusion. The money for the new seats for the arena was spent instead to help pay for the whole waterpark.

CoyoteChris
06-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Don't know about fire drills at Nationals, but there was one in the official hotel at SA in Hartford.

Hmmmm....Atlanta, Greensboro, and SA Hartford???? Me thinks I see a pattern here. I know the particulars about Greensboro but am sworn to secrecy so dont ask...I wonder if the security cameras caught the naughty kids at the other two hotels?

I am trying to think if I have ever heard a fire alarm at a motel/hotel in 40 years....?

From a california newspaper...
The biggest reason to not pull an alarm is not because of a $500 fine or 6 months in jail, it's because setting off alarms endangers lives. The second leading cause of on-duty firefighter deaths in the US in 2009 was responding to or returning from a call. 24% of firefighter deaths were attributed to that cause in 2009.

Another thing that happens when the dispatch goes out, is that firefighters get an adrenalin rush. They are trained to treat every alarm like it's a working fire, even if they are almost completely sure it's not. Sometimes this adrenalin rush can cause heart attacks (another leading cause of firefighter death), in firefighters, and worst of all if the firefighter has a heart attack while driving it can lead to injuries and death of other firefighters and whoever they may crash into.

However, you do not only endanger the firefighter, you endanger those they serve as well. Just think about it, say the firefighters are responding to the alarm you pulled and then a real emergency happens, it will take longer to get emergency services to that scene in time, critical minutes for someone having a heart attack (most people in cardiac arrest will die if they do not have help within 4-5 minutes), or for a fire which spreads faster than ever as more and more flammable plastics get added to our houses and furniture.

The average total response time for Berkeley Fire is around 5-8 minutes, however if an engine company (pumps water) and truck company (ladder) are busy (protocol for BFD is to send one of each to all alarm calls) with a malicious alarm pull that response time could increase dramatically. Say if the response time were 10-12 minutes (completely plausible) then an entire house could be in flames and possibly setting neighboring buildings on fire.

TanithandBenFan
06-02-2012, 07:29 AM
In Hartford, the fire alarm was apparently set off due to a problem in the laundry room. There was another one the morning after, but it was after I was already at practice.