PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22

star_gazer11
05-19-2012, 01:07 AM
I think US Nationals should be held in Vancouver, BC.

Hear, hear!

But would you have shuttle?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Someone please rep AJ for that.

CoralReef
05-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Is Denver a consideration? The last time they hosted a nationals was 1988.I think they were initially bidding but are not part of the final selection.

Two things that could have possibly thrown a wrench into any LOC's bid, were the change of date (which came after the bid deadline if I remember right), and the ability to host juvenile and intermediate events (which weren't even mentioned in the bid proposal I saw online).

CoyoteChris
05-20-2012, 04:23 AM
I think they were initially bidding but are not part of the final selection.

Two things that could have possibly thrown a wrench into any LOC's bid, were the change of date (which came after the bid deadline if I remember right), and the ability to host juvenile and intermediate events (which weren't even mentioned in the bid proposal I saw online).
Good point. Obviously, a date change is a huge monkey wrench as many arenas have things going on all the time, but 2013 Omaha was set up for the Jr. Nats from the get go, was it not???? I heard that from Omaha on the two nats would be combined.

CoralReef
05-20-2012, 04:54 AM
but 2013 Omaha was set up for the Jr. Nats from the get go, was it not????The dropping of the Jr. National event was voted on at last years Governing Council. The change in the event structure wouldn't have taken place until after the bid deadline and (I can't remember the timing), was Omaha already announced by GC last year?

The bid request for 2014 was interesting, it states only 12 national champions will be crowned and the tentative schedule doesn't give any indication of when or where juvenile and intermediate events/practices would be held. Strange.

maureenfarone
05-20-2012, 12:24 PM
The dropping of the Jr. National event was voted on at last years Governing Council. The change in the event structure wouldn't have taken place until after the bid deadline and (I can't remember the timing), was Omaha already announced by GC last year?

The bid request for 2014 was interesting, it states only 12 national champions will be crowned and the tentative schedule doesn't give any indication of when or where juvenile and intermediate events/practices would be held. Strange.

According to google 2011 Governing Council opened on 4/27/2011. Selection of Omaha as the host for 2013 Nationals was made on 4/28/2011. In the announcement there was no mention of Jr. Nationals, just the usual 12 champions will be crowned. I didn't look very thoroughly at the Omaha website, but did not see any mention of Jr. Nationals. I do remember reading about the combining of the events here on FSU.

Sylvia
05-20-2012, 06:41 PM
According to google 2011 Governing Council opened on 4/27/2011. Selection of Omaha as the host for 2013 Nationals was made on 4/28/2011. In the announcement there was no mention of Jr. Nationals, just the usual 12 champions will be crowned. I didn't look very thoroughly at the Omaha website, but did not see any mention of Jr. Nationals. I do remember reading about the combining of the events here on FSU.
Yes, see this post in the 2013 Nationals in Omaha thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3454293&postcount=108

julianaqtpi
05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes, see this post in the 2013 Nationals in Omaha thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3454293&postcount=108

Let me just defend my post in that other thread: That was what they had heard as of then. As of 2013 Nationals meeting a few weeks ago that my mom attended (as you may know, she was president of the largest skating club in Omaha for 2 years (up until last week, when they had club board elections, and she decided not to run for president this year) and she's on the Omaha committee for helping plan Nationals), they have absolutely no clue what they're doing with Jr. Nationals. USFSA seems totally unorganized and unsure what they're doing with it, as it's a year after the announcement and there are no definite plans for where it'll be. I've heard rumors of Jr Nationals being at the Civic Auditorium, which is like 10 min walking distance from the Century Link, but I've heard rumors that the Civic is being torn down in October. I've heard rumors that Jr Nationals are going to be at the Century Link as well as regular Nationals. I've heard the rumor that they'll be at the new ice rink 15-20 min from downtown that's scheduled to open in October with seating for 5000. I've heard that they're going to be at the rink with two surfaces that's 30 min away from the Century Link, but that rumor was proved false quickly. I've also heard most often that USFSA is going to wing it and make plans for it the night before the events start. :lol: So basically, as of now, no one knows what they're going to do with Jr Nationals.

numbers123
05-23-2012, 08:21 PM
The Civic Center still has events on it's November 29, 2012 calendar. I know that the Creighton Women's Basketball games are now in the D.J. Sokol center (they previously played at the Civic Center, is that the new arena on Creighton campus?) And I suspect the ice arena that you are talking about that would be 20 minutes away will be the new home of the Lancers hockey team, since it is or was rumored that the Lancers would be moving from Council Bluffs MAC to Ralston/Papillion? And possible Mavericks hockey? Or is that the one that the rumors proved untrue.

It would make sense to me that the Century Link Arena would have both the senior competition and the practice ice, since they are currently building the Olympic Trials Competition and Practice Pools for that arena, which indicates to me that there is enough space that they could feasibly do both. But of course that is my speculation.

ETA: I apologize to those who thought an announcement was pending. :(

shan
05-23-2012, 09:00 PM
The Civic Center still has events on it's November 29, 2012 calendar. I know that the Creighton Women's Basketball games are now in the D.J. Sokol center (they previously played at the Civic Center, is that the new arena on Creighton campus?) And I suspect the ice arena that you are talking about that would be 20 minutes away will be the new home of the Lancers hockey team, since it is or was rumored that the Lancers would be moving from Council Bluffs MAC to Ralston/Papillion? And possible Mavericks hockey?

It would make sense to me that the Century Link Arena would have both the senior competition and the practice ice, since they are currently building the Olympic Trials Competition and Practice Pools for that arena, which indicates to me that there is enough space that they could feasibly do both. But of course that is my speculation.

ETA: I apologize to those who thought an announcement was pending. :(

Me too! :P :P

But wait, your post pertains to 2013 Nationals, right?

Sylvia
05-25-2012, 12:28 AM
But wait, your post pertains to 2013 Nationals, right?
Yes. I've reposted the relevant info above in the 2013 US Nationals in Omaha:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3576722#post3576722

This Greensboro article today confirms that Greensboro, NC, Boston and St. Paul are the 3 finalists to host 2014 Nationals: http://www.news-record.com/content/2012/05/24/article/greensboro_contending_to_host_2014_us_figure_skati ng_championships

“My understanding is it’s down to three sites: Boston, St. Paul (Minn.) and us,” said Kim Strable, president of the Greensboro Sports Commission. “Getting this far and being on the short list is good.”

There’s no guarantee. Officials from U.S. Figure Skating are making their final visits in the coming weeks and a decision likely be made some time in June, Carrow said.

carriemarie
05-25-2012, 09:53 PM
I will be miserable if Nationals is in Greensboro again. I thought no experience could be worse than Dallas Nationals, but I hated Greensboro. I feel like there was nothing near by and outside my host hotel window was about five bail bonds places and a possible strip club. Minnesota was an okay experience, but I vote for Boston.

madm
05-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I will be miserable if Nationals is in Greensboro again. I thought no experience could be worse than Dallas Nationals, but I hated Greensboro. I feel like there was nothing near by and outside my host hotel window was about five bail bonds places and a possible strip club. Minnesota was an okay experience, but I vote for Boston.

I have to agree. While the people were really nice, Greensboro offered nothing for us to do and the only place close by that we could get food was a mall food court. St. Paul and Boston would both be great -they are easy to fly into (unlike Greensboro) and they have a vibrant night life and restaurants galore.

kwanette
05-26-2012, 10:23 PM
I loved Greensboro.

shan
05-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I loved Greensboro.

ditto.

(I'm sure living an hour away has nothing to do with it. ;) )

DORISPULASKI
05-26-2012, 10:49 PM
I liked Greensboro too.

There was an awesome Vietnamese restaurant, and a really good Mexican restaurant, and a really good breakfast spot. And our hotel was reasonably priced, something you won't be getting in Boston. And the ice quality was amazingly good, considering.

And the people were really nice.

I think you need a car; that makes all the difference.