PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Cheylana
05-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I honestly could live with any of those three. I thought Greensboro did a great job last year, and it's within driving distance for me (barely). Boston is definitely within driving distance and it's an interesting city. And St. Paul I've never visited, so I wouldn't mind exploring the Twin Cities a bit. :)

A.H.Black
05-14-2012, 01:04 AM
Any of the cities would be fine with me. I guess I'm unlike other Nationals goers. I don't care if there is anything to do in the city itself. I'm there to watch skating. I watch skating all day, every day. I'm not quite as committed as I was 20 years ago in Orlando when we went from 6:00 AM to 1:00 AM on one day (Of course, there aren't that many practice sessions anymore), but it's all skating for me.

I suppose I would vote first for Denver as that city hasn't had Nationals for a long time and they deserve a chance to organize a great nationals. As for altitude - Altitude can be compensated for with the proper training and time.

kwanette
05-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Any of the cities would be fine with me. I guess I'm unlike other Nationals goers. I don't care if there is anything to do in the city itself. I'm there to watch skating. I watch skating all day, every day. I'm not quite as committed as I was 20 years ago in Orlando when we went from 6:00 AM to 1:00 AM on one day (Of course, there aren't that many practice sessions anymore), but it's all skating for me.

I suppose I would vote first for Denver as that city hasn't had Nationals for a long time and they deserve a chance to organize a great nationals. As for altitude - Altitude can be compensated for with the proper training and time.

I don't care if there is anything to do in the city itself. I'm there to watch skating. I watch skating all day, every day.

That's essentially how I feel. Of all of the cities that I have been to, I've only gone sight-seeing in Lake Placid and Kingston, Ontario.

My other concern is food. Give me a diner or a convenience store and I am fine.

paskatefan
05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't care if there is anything to do in the city itself. I'm there to watch skating. I watch skating all day, every day.

That's essentially how I feel.

My other concern is food. Give me a diner or a convenience store and I am fine.

... or a nearby supermarket That said, I'm hoping for Nationals to come back to the East Coast in 2014.

Emmett
05-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Is Denver a consideration? The last time they hosted a nationals was 1988.

I had heard that the three cities were Boston, Greensboro, and St. Paul. I understand that US Figure Skating needed to wait for the NFL to confirm is playoff schedule to NBC so that NBC could confirm which weekend the Championship events could be aired. I also understand that that has been done and the site visits are being done now.

I was able to attend Greensboro and St. Paul, but not Boston so my comparison of the Cities ability to host would not be incomplete. Of the two that I attended I felt St. Paul did a better job, but did like the setup in Greensboro for the practice facility better than St. Paul's.

Rob
05-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Any of the cities would be fine with me. I guess I'm unlike other Nationals goers. I don't care if there is anything to do in the city itself. I'm there to watch skating. I watch skating all day, every day.

Same here - I use my down time for hitting the gym, sleeping, eating, and catching up on a little work or reading. That said, we went to a craft gallery in Greensboro and over to Winston Salem for the same and found some nice stuff.

Greensboro is an easy flight for me so we drove -- then we did'n't need the shuttle. If we'd planned it out, I had a list of nice restaurants, but we were chillin' so we stuck to the hotel restaurant and Thai place on the way to the arena.

If I went somewhere like Tokyo for skating, I'd spend my whole time seeing Toyko and none in the skating arena.

essence_of_soy
05-14-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm not quite as committed as I was 20 years ago in Orlando when we went from 6:00 AM to 1:00 AM on one day (Of course, there aren't that many practice sessions anymore), but it's all skating for me.

I remember doing that as well. I can't believe it was 20 years ago.

Orlando was my first US Nationals, and no, I didn't go to any of the theme parks.

I was backpacking and doing a skating competition crawl across the North America at the time, having seen Junior Worlds in Hull, Quebec, then the World Pro in Landover, and finally Orlando.

It was my first time overseas from Australia as well.

Pikachuusb
05-15-2012, 03:53 AM
I'm all for Orlando...since I live there now :shuffle:

Although to be honest I'm all about the skating all day. I could care less what the city has to offer. My boyfriend on the other hand would prefer to venture out of the rink. Especially during ice dance :lol:

Jayar
05-15-2012, 07:26 AM
I think Nationals should be in Salinas, CA. I live there, and I would get to sleep in my own bed. Plus, if it were to be announced tomorrow, I could start asking for time off of work, looking at the bus schedule, and book my rental car.

kwanfan1818
05-15-2012, 08:50 AM
I think US Nationals should be held in Vancouver, BC.

Rochelle
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
I think Nationals should be in Salinas, CA. I live there, and I would get to sleep in my own bed. Plus, if it were to be announced tomorrow, I could start asking for time off of work, looking at the bus schedule, and book my rental car.

:rofl: Of course, if Salinas even had an ice rink... I would have stayed in Monterey, CA. Thanks for the laugh! ;)

Jayar
05-15-2012, 05:32 PM
:rofl: Of course, if Salinas even had an ice rink... I would have stayed in Monterey, CA. Thanks for the laugh! ;)

Marina used to-- it's where Bryan Wells started his career.

AJ Skatefan
05-15-2012, 11:29 PM

But would you have shuttle?

Carolla5501
05-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I think they are aiming for the first "stealth" Nationals...

Just think, no fans to put up with, no fans to complain "skater x wuz robbed", no need to deal with shuttles, etc....

They will of course expect you to pony up BIG bucks for tickets to "stealth" then you guess where they are and head there. If you pick right it's an exclusive event. If you pick wrong your ticket is a great collectible

LOL!

UMBS Go Blue
05-18-2012, 09:12 PM
:blah: