View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

missing
05-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Magical thinking :rolleyes:

Heavy on the magical, light on the thinking.:lol:

missing
05-12-2012, 01:54 AM
I understand that the USFSA won't get this, but no organization that has gay athletes and a signficant gay fanbase should have its national championship in North Carolina.

I thought momentarily about going if it is in NC, and then I realize I don't want that state to make a single penny off of me.

FSfan107
05-12-2012, 02:05 AM
I understand that the USFSA won't get this, but no organization that has gay athletes and a signficant gay fanbase should have its national championship in North Carolina.

I thought momentarily about going if it is in NC, and then I realize I don't want that state to make a single penny off of me.

So any state with such an amendment can't hold Nationals? That's a lot of states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_constitutional_amendments_banni ng_same-sex_unions_by_type

The whole state should not be punished because of this vote. For the record, I voted against the amendment. People are acting like North Carolina is the first state to pass such a amendment when in fact many others have already done so.

skipaway
05-12-2012, 02:40 AM
I also voted against Amendment 1. Why should I be punished?

CoyoteChris
05-12-2012, 03:29 AM
It will be Boston or Greensboro. If its Boston and you want to go, better start saving money now.....I am hoping for Greensboro. Inexpensive hotels, practice venue in the same building. A shuttle system that really worked well (after the first day). My only compaint was they spent the money for the new seats that actually fit 21st century humans on a water park next door....
I am hoping for Greensboro. If it is Boston, and we are looking at a $4,000 experience, I may sit this one out.....

Tammi
05-12-2012, 03:39 AM
I hope it's either Boston or Greensboro, although St. Paul would not be bad either -- they had it in 2008, altho' I didn't attend so I don't know how well they hosted.St. Paul did a really good job. I especially liked the open concept design of their arena. Whenever we ducked up to the concourse for warm mini donuts :swoon:, we could stand anywhere around the railings and still watch the skating. The so called "human habitrail" connecting the arena to the hotel was especially nice during a very frigid cold spell. Number one treat, the hot turkey sandwich at McCormicks, yum. Late night dining/socializing was a little rough though. Maybe they didn't anticipate that people would want to hang out after the events ended for the evening, but the lounge at the hotel we stayed in had minimal staff and no food options. Luckily, we figured out that if we ordered room service from the lobby phone, they would happily deliver to the lounge ;).

dancefan17
05-12-2012, 05:56 PM
It was just SOOOO COLD in St. Paul.....I would take Greensboro again anytime?

sk9tingfan
05-12-2012, 06:04 PM
St Paul was very special in many ways. Despite extremely cold temperatures, the availability of shuttles on a timely basis, the connecting tunnels that one could use to get to the venue without going outside and the arena were great. Also at that point, I was not sure if it was going to be my last Nationals. For that reason, I could live with St. Paul and not Boston.

TanithandBenFan
05-12-2012, 06:57 PM
It was just SOOOO COLD in St. Paul.....I would take Greensboro again anytime?

I literally went outside once the entire five days I was there. :lol: I loved St. Paul for the "habitrail" as Tammi mentioned and the spacious and comfortable arena (with the awesome BBQ stand!). I also loved Boston and Greensboro and would happily return to any of these three cities.

chipso1
05-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Although St. Paul was cold that year, not every January is like that. :lol: This year we had 40s and sunshine and no snow. Even if it is cold, the skyways (are those what some of you are referring to as habitrails? :lol:) take you almost everywhere you need to go.

Public transportation is excellent in the city, and there's much to do when there's a break in the skating. Behind NYC, Minnesota has the most theatres per capita, and there's also museums, art centers, Mall of America and lots of good restaurants to check out.

I was behind the scenes in 2008 and thought the event as a whole was really well organized. Events were on time and the Xcel Center is a fabulous venue for skating; there's not a bad seat in the arena!

jkl
05-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Not to mention that Minnesota has no sales tax on clothes or shoes;)

madm
05-13-2012, 12:49 AM
I'd be happy with Greensboro. Lots of reasonable hotel choices and the volunteers couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

As someone who went to Greensboro with an athlete, I can tell you the place was difficult to fly into, had very few food options within walking distance of the hotels, and required a shuttle to get to the arena. The LOC hospitality was great, but the travel was not easy and required an extra day just to get to and from Greensboro. Personally I would opt for a city that is a large airline hub so that flights are cheaper and more frequent, allowing for late/early arrivals and departures as needed to fit an athlete's schedule. Most airline hub cities also have very convenient transportation options, many restaurants with late night dining, and a wide range of hotel prices and more rooms available. Of course, all of the cities mentioned could be subject to weather problems in January so there isn't a clear "winner" in that department.

Debbie S
05-13-2012, 02:40 AM
As someone who went to Greensboro with an athlete, I can tell you the place was difficult to fly into, had very few food options within walking distance of the hotels, and required a shuttle to get to the arena. The LOC hospitality was great, but the travel was not easy and required an extra day just to get to and from Greensboro. Personally I would opt for a city that is a large airline hub so that flights are cheaper and more frequent, allowing for late/early arrivals and departures as needed to fit an athlete's schedule. Like any other city, it depends where you are flying from. I'm several states away and had multiple options on USAir (connecting through Charlotte), but I know not everyone had that. The shuttle ride was quick, although if a shuttle for spectators at Nats really is a thing of the past, then a car rental would be necessary, which would suck. And Greensboro was kind of boring - nothing to do except Nats, which wasn't a problem later in the week, but early in the week when there were some gaps during the day, it would have been nice to do some sightseeing. I like to see at least one attraction unique to the area (ex: St. Louis arch, Rock and Roll HoF) when I go to Nats. But the setup, with the practice and comp rinks in the same facility, was the best of any Nats I've been to.

Tammi
05-13-2012, 03:15 AM
I'd have to rank the ones I want to have for 2014 by my own personal opinion as Boston #1 (in 2001, child tried out for sweeper & attended men's /women's final + all novice events), St. Paul #2 (Xcel Center was awesome, Mall of America, McCormicks hot turkey sandwich), Greensboro #3 (no issues flying in with a competitor, but nothing to do in the area, convenient having the practice arena attached). I'm kind of hoping no for Denver, as altitude is not necessarily a friend to competitors.

Carolla5501
05-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Boston or St Paul would be my choices. While I live closer to Greensboro, I just found it boring.