PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

zaphyre14
05-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, if changing the dates means that NBC will be able to focus on skating a little more and give more time coverage, then it might not be such a bad thing.

Carolla5501
05-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Those original dates SUCKED much worse then NBC. Sorry but I really thought "New Years" was just a bad idea.

But... they just now realized that they have this issue. Once again my "faith" in the system has been rewarded LOL!

Rochelle
05-03-2012, 04:24 AM
I'm sure the athletes, coaches, and their families wouldn't mind Nationals taking place one week later in January. This way, they may be able to travel home or elsewhere briefly for Christmas / other winter holidays, and maybe even enjoy their New Years Eve / Day a little.

While it's one thing to do what's best for the potential-US Olympic team members, we also have to consider what's best for the other 200+ athletes involved. If Nationals is moved later by one week, there still is at least one full month to prepare for the Olympics -- potentially 6 weeks if they keep senior events over Jan. 10-13, and the skaters are in a discipline that falls towards the end of the Olympics schedule.

lexeoe
05-03-2012, 09:23 AM
super bowl 2014 will be televised by Fox. so what football conflict (if true) is NBC talking about?

maureenfarone
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
super bowl 2014 will be televised by Fox. so what football conflict (if true) is NBC talking about?

I was wondering about this also. Just went back to the 2112 January schedule and NBC did show the Wild Card games on Saturday 1/7 and then the Sunday 1/8/2112 games were split between CBS and Fox. Could the playoff games be the issue?

What about the various Bowl games, who televises those?

SkateFan66
05-03-2012, 11:35 AM
The college BCS bowl games are scheduled to be aired the first week in January. ESPN has the current BCS contract.

SpeedySucks
05-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I was wondering about this also. Just went back to the 2112 January schedule and NBC did show the Wild Card games on Saturday 1/7 and then the Sunday 1/8/2112 games were split between CBS and Fox. Could the playoff games be the issue?

Yes, the NFL Wild Card weekend in 2014 is January 4-5, which is the same weekend that USFSA wanted to hold Nationals. NBC will televise both Wild Card games on Saturday, January 4th, which means that they wouldn't have any time on their schedule that day for Nationals (including the traditional primetime broadcast of the ladies' free skate).

Frau Muller
05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Given that 2014 is the Olympic Season, I'm sure that NBC is most concerned about finding the right 'window' of time in which to air Nationals, so as to maximize advertisement profits. In addition to football playoffs, NBC might be trying to 'bundle' the skating Nationals with other winter-sports events leading up to Sochi, e.g., skiing (their darling Vonn) or snowboarding...pre-Sochi "marketing blast" attempts...to keep the winter-sports audience tuned in all weekend.

maureenfarone
05-03-2012, 02:52 PM
IF the Wild Card games are the issue maybe the senior events would start on 1/9 with the load in on 1/7 and official practices starting on 1/8. Are there any other NFL games the weekend of 1/10 & 1/11?

I was really concerned about trying to fly and find lodging on that very busy holiday weekend over New Years Eve/New Years, so for me a week later would be ok.

skatesindreams
05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
IF the Wild Card games are the issue maybe the senior events would start on 1/9 with the load in on 1/7 and official practices starting on 1/8. Are there any other NFL games the weekend of 1/10 & 1/11?

I was really concerned about trying to fly and find lodging on that very busy holiday weekend over New Years Eve/New Years, so for me a week later would be ok.

My thoughts, as well.

skipaway
05-03-2012, 05:17 PM
So, does it seem as if Boston the presumptive winner in the hosting sweeps?

Rob
05-03-2012, 07:41 PM

I don't know which games are on NBC, but Wild Card weekend is followed by Divisional Playoffs the next weekend (Sat and Sunday games - 2 games each day). The weekend after that, the Conference Championships are on Sunday (2 games total). There is a break for a week before the Superbowl, but they have the ProBowl that weekend (not as popular as the playoffs and just one game).

Last year, NBC aired the Saturday wildcard games, but not the divisional games. I read that NBC has a new contract where they swap a wild card game for a divisional game, but I don't know when that starts.

SkateFan66
05-03-2012, 08:06 PM
The NFL playoff schedule is one consideration. Another consideration is the College Bowl schedule. This year the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) games were held the first week of January, with the championship game being held on 1/9. These games attract huge TV ratings and attract a lot of advertising dollars. Nationals in an Olympic year usually generates more viewership, thus the network can ask advertisers to pay a higher rate. However, NBC will not be able to request as much from advertisers if National is aired at a time that it competes directly with college bowl games (and possible college playoff)

FGRSK8
05-03-2012, 08:20 PM

What about the various Bowl games, who televises those?

2112?. Holy crap, I will be 166 and will probably will have hung up my figure skates by then...:rofl:

sk9tingfan
05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
2112?. Holy crap, I will be 166 and will probably will have hung up my figure skates by then...:rofl:

Figure skating fans spring eternal! :P