PDA

View Full Version : 2014 US Nationals

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

A.H.Black
02-18-2012, 01:25 AM
It is too bad Phoenix is not in the mix: it would be great weather for Nationals.

The coldest I have ever been at a nationals was in Phoenix in 1993 at the Ocean Side (?) skating rink. Warm cities often have the coldest rinks. This year in San Jose the practice rink was freezing.

I wouldn't mind Denver. The last time they hosted a Nationals was 1988. The problem that year was they ran way behind schedule (Brian Boitano didn't skate his short program till after midnight). I don't think that would be a problem now.

shan
02-18-2012, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't mind Denver. The last time they hosted a Nationals was 1988. The problem that year was they ran way behind schedule (Brian Boitano didn't skate his short program till after midnight). I don't think that would be a problem now.

:wideeyes:

Debbie S
02-18-2012, 01:51 AM
This year in San Jose the practice rink was freezing. That's because it was a regular rink. I'm sure it wasn't any colder than normal at Nats. FWIW, I didn't think it was that cold as far as rinks go, but maybe that's b/c the rink where I primarily skate is practically a meat locker. Some years, the practice rink has been at an arena a bit further out of the metro area, or the LOC has set up a temporary ice surface at a convention-type facility, and those set-ups tend to be warmer for spectators.

BittyBug
02-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't mind Denver. The skaters might, given the altitude. Not sure it would make for the best competition for the athletes.

Iluvid
02-19-2012, 04:19 AM
This year I noticed sitting in the HP was cold! The North rink where practice was held, is normally cold also. They used to put the heaters on for the ppl sitting in the bleachers. The Center rink is much warmer.

julianaqtpi
02-19-2012, 08:03 PM
The site for the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which will serve as the trials for the Sochi Olympics, will be announced by May 1....

Maybe the decision will be made sooner?

Omaha was announced for 2013 Nationals in late April, so 2014 will probably be announced around the same time.

Rob
02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
My office is shut that week! If its Boston, I have a standing invitation for New Year's Eve in PTown with friends whenever I happen to be in the area so that would be super easy to do. If its Greensboro, I have the same standing New Year's Eve invitation in Atlanta so I could plan flights with an extended stop on the way back. And if it is Denver, one of my best friends is in Broomfield, so this could work out really well.

Aaron W
02-21-2012, 07:49 PM
My office is shut that week! If its Boston, I have a standing invitation for New Year's Eve in PTown with friends whenever I happen to be in the area so that would be super easy to do. If its Greensboro, I have the same standing New Year's Eve invitation in Atlanta so I could plan flights with an extended stop on the way back. And if it is Denver, one of my best friends is in Broomfield, so this could work out really well.

This means it'll end up in St. Paul. ;)

Rob
02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Absolutely! But I have a case going on there and with my luck the case will get scheduled for Jan 2 and I will be there, but I will be stuck working 24/7.

chipso1
02-21-2012, 10:34 PM
This means it'll end up in St. Paul. ;)

:cheer2:

UMBS Go Blue
02-21-2012, 10:37 PM
:cold: :cold: :cold:

But, on second thought, I wouldn't mind St. Paul because I have plenty of friends in the MSP area, and for those of you with a rental car, the polka bar is a national treasure (http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ1006BESTBARS_147) that must be experienced and appreciated while it's still around. Especially Ruth and the polka band on Saturday nights. :inavoid:

Impromptu
02-21-2012, 11:05 PM
:cold: :cold: :cold:

But, on second thought, I wouldn't mind St. Paul because I have plenty of friends in the MSP area, and for those of you with a rental car, the polka bar is a national treasure (http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ1006BESTBARS_147) that must be experienced and appreciated while it's still around. Especially Ruth and the polka band on Saturday nights. :inavoid:

Or, if you don't happen to have a rental car, maybe you know a fellow FSUer who just happens to live less than 2 miles from that very location... ;)

Rob
02-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Oh I would be so up for that.

lexeoe
04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
its already april and we'll probably know the venue no later than may 1st. USFSA seems to be announcing venues later than normal.

shan
04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
its already april and we'll probably know the venue no later than may 1st. USFSA seems to be announcing venues later than normal.

:cheer:

I wonder if we'll know 2014 Nats before 2013 Skate America. :lol: