PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lewis out as MDA chairman and off telethon

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Aceon6
08-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Part of the reason for the Martin-Lewis breakup was Jerry's temper. He hasn't shown any signs of reform.

FigureSpins
08-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Actually, I think he's showing great restraint.

heckles
08-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Thanks for the link - that whole bit was a little inappropriate (by today's standards) at a variety of points.
I kind of wonder if Martin wasn't really a bit tipsy.

If Martin was awake, he was tipsy. Ironic that both Martin and Lewis were smoking on a telethon for a medical charity.

FigureSpins
08-11-2011, 04:57 PM
If Martin was awake, he was tipsy. Ironic that both Martin and Lewis were smoking on a telethon for a medical charity.

Hindsight is 20/20 - didn't Martin suffer from lung cancer? As I said before, today's PC didn't apply back then ... it was a different time.

overedge
08-11-2011, 05:42 PM
From a collection of quotes from the TV critics' press tour (promoting new shows etc.) that just finished in Los Angeles:

"I feel like I'm working to the Arabs, for Christ's sake." - Jerry Lewis, annoyed that he's not getting the laughs he expects

FigureSpins
08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Yeah - not politically correct, but for an 80-year old jewish guy still doing his Catskills Schtick, probably a line he's used over and over. I'm sure that you can easily find things he's said that offend any number of groups. He's from a different era and frankly, age should get some respect along with a nodding sense of "can't change a zebra's stripes"

No one's asking people to track his every comment and movement. We'd need a database to keep track of his errors.

How come no one's looking for the good things he's done? I know people who've met Lewis through MDA and said that he's funny and genuinely kind. He told one kid how handsome he was in his suit. The kid beamed because he had had several surgeries for a birth defect. Make sure that well-timed remark is in the database.

He's raised millions of dollars for this charity, reached out to many in need, and contributed his own money and time to the effort. You're kind of kicking the guy while he's down by listing his every mistake, don't you think?

skatesindreams
08-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Hindsight is 20/20 ... As I said before, today's PC didn't apply back then ... it was a different time.

This is what we should remember whenever we discuss past events.

Karina1974
08-11-2011, 07:07 PM

You are aware that that reunion clip is from 1976, aren't you?

overedge
08-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah - not politically correct, but for an 80-year old jewish guy still doing his Catskills Schtick, probably a line he's used over and over. I'm sure that you can easily find things he's said that offend any number of groups. How come no one's looking for the good things he's done? You're kind of kicking the guy while he's down, don't you think?

No. I don't deny that he has raised a lot of money for charities and other good causes, but saying something alienating because people aren't laughing enough for your tastes is not a good idea, no matter what age you are or what background you come from.

FigureSpins
08-11-2011, 07:51 PM
No. I don't deny that he has raised a lot of money for charities and other good causes, but saying something alienating because people aren't laughing enough for your tastes is not a good idea, no matter what age you are or what background you come from.
I don't think he was disparaging anyone or any group with that remark. He makes jokes about himself, and his being jewish, all the time.

It was a "hostile audience" comment: jewish comedy vs. arabian audience. He wasn't saying that "Arabs" have no sense of humor, just that they wouldn't relate to his schtick.
I suspect it's a line from many years ago, that he's used over and over.

He was saying that he was dying onstage because the audience didn't get his jokes.

overedge
08-11-2011, 08:39 PM
He was saying that he was dying onstage because the audience didn't get his jokes.

I get that. But he dealt with it by blaming it on the audience, which is not a good strategy.

milanessa
08-12-2011, 03:15 AM
I always thought he was in his old age humorous effort is embarrassing not funny. Yes, I know he did a lot of MD and marathon, but producers need fresh format.spam link deleted..

What is it with the silly site you've linked to in both your posts?

heckles
08-12-2011, 03:40 AM
You are aware that that reunion clip is from 1976, aren't you?

You don't say? And here I was wondering why the video's title is "Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis Reunion - 1976 - MDA Telethon". Does this mean I can't see the Rat Pack in Vegas anymore?

numbers123
08-12-2011, 03:43 AM
I don't think he was disparaging anyone or any group with that remark. He makes jokes about himself, and his being jewish, all the time.

It was a "hostile audience" comment: jewish comedy vs. arabian audience. He wasn't saying that "Arabs" have no sense of humor, just that they wouldn't relate to his schtick.
I suspect it's a line from many years ago, that he's used over and over.

The thing is - if you are being a spokesperson for an organization AND you are the star on the telethon, you MUST change your ways/jokes/prejudices. If you are not, then okkkkeydokey. but you must change if you are in the limelight.

Karina1974
08-12-2011, 05:29 AM
You don't say? And here I was wondering why the video's title is "Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis Reunion - 1976 - MDA Telethon". Does this mean I can't see the Rat Pack in Vegas anymore?

Don't be a smartass. You said that it was ironic that they were smoking on a show that is supposed to be raising $$ for a medical charity. No one in the general populace gave a shit about the dangers of smoking back then, and if you did, you were considered to be a wack-job.