PDA

View Full Version : JK Rowling's Pottermore

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Hannahclear
08-08-2011, 01:45 AM
I don't really have time to look around for an early spot, but I'm looking forward to joining this October when it opens to all. I didn't realize you needed a username. I'm going to have to think up something cool.

ChelleC
08-08-2011, 02:15 AM
I don't really have time to look around for an early spot, but I'm looking forward to joining this October when it opens to all. I didn't realize you needed a username. I'm going to have to think up something cool.

Don't worry about thinking up a cool name, the system gives it to you.

Theatregirl1122
08-14-2011, 11:14 PM
This is kind of off topic, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask.

Has anyone seen the Harry Potter exhibition in NYC and, if so, how long did it take you to see it?

FigureSpins
08-15-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't know, but I hope they take the show on the road. Our local IMAX/Children's Museum went all out, decorating their lobby for HP. Even the restrooms received new signage. I'd love to see them bring the exhibit here.

The girls and I received our "please stand by" messages from Pottermore. They're opening the doors for the beta testers in batches between mid-August and the end of September. Twitter users are counting down the hours, assuming they're in the first batch, because the 15th=mid-august.

star_gazer11
08-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Has anyone seen the Harry Potter exhibition in NYC and, if so, how long did it take you to see it?

Yes. They recommend you allow two hours. Since I got there about two hours before closing, I'd say that was fairly accurate, including gift shop time. The souvenir photos are :bribe::eek: but since I won't be getting to Florida anytime soon, I got one. You can choose between you photoshopped into the Great Hall or with Hogwarts grounds behind you; or both for double the price.

Marge_Simpson
08-15-2011, 04:44 AM

Eys! I saw it a few months ago and it is fantastic. I was in there for about an hour and a half.
I was lucky, I went on a Friday afternoon and there was no line. I was at the Discovery Center earlier today, however, because I wanted to see the Pompeii exhibit. The line was out the door and the staff said there was about an hour wait to get in. I don't know if that was because everyone wanted to do something indoors today because it was pouring out, or because the show is closing soon. I would buy tickets online so you can walk right in.
I should not admit this but I will anyway: I was one of the few people that were on line for the Pompeii thing, and I was miffed that they didn't have separate lines. I went downstairs where the cafe and gift shops are located, and walked into the Pompeii exhibit through the shop. Without paying. There's no staff over on the Pompeii side of the shop. That won't work for the HP exhibit, though, there's a whole slew of staff on that side.

skatemomaz
08-15-2011, 07:52 AM

My daughter and I saw it about two weeks ago, I would say we spent about an hour in the actual exhibit and maybe 20 minutes in line. It was expensive but well worth it.

We have both received our standby messages for early entry. I am HawthorneMoonstone129

FigureSpins
08-15-2011, 03:59 PM
The Pottermore Insider blog has been updated with beta test and October Registration information:

http://insider.pottermore.com/2011/08/beta-testing-and-registering-for.html

kwanatic
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the update!

victoriaheidi
09-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Anyone feel like sharing Pottermore usernames? We could all friend each other!

Marge_Simpson
09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I would if I had managed to find the quill. :mad:

CynicElle
09-07-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm VineNox187, but I have yet to be granted my "early" access, so I'm not in there yet.

FigureSpins
09-07-2011, 02:52 PM
We haven't gotten the early access yet, either. I'm ScarletFlight22. I set up my oldest DD's account on the last day of the challenge, but she later got a "oops something went wrong" email from Pottermore, so her ID wasn't created. (Their "forgot my ID/password" features don't work, although it recognizes her ID.)

The teasers on their twitter and blog are really ticking me off. They regularly say "We're sending out more invitations." but they don't say what their sampling is based on and I don't know anyone in real life who has gotten access.

It seems to be random since people from all 7 days of challenges say they're still waiting, but given the screwup with the Yahoo! congrats emails, I have to wonder if most of the "still waiting" crew have Yahoo! IDs. Perhaps whatever that problem was is still ongoing and they're not bothering to check on it?

I can't really tell who's legit and who's a poser on the various chat boards, but it sounds there have been a number of bugs in Pottermore.com. The Potions Brewing runs slow and stalls. They took down wizard dueling temporarily - sounded like it was too popular for its own good and kept crashing. There have been a few reports of site lockups and server crashes. Various browsers encounter different issues in terms of response time and accuracy. (Could be based on other factors, too, like traffic, ISP, workstation.)

Allegedly, they accepted 1m early access registrants but less than 300k have been granted access. I can only assume that their beta servers are straining or they're trying to fix the problems before admitting more people, so they can get fresh samplings of the beta results from different populations.

I really haven't been impressed with the technical workings of Pottermore.com - it seems like they're always scrambling to fix something and the system is always overwhelmed. It's been that way since the first hints came out. They underestimate the traffic and under-support the backbone. I guess it saves money.

Oh, and the electronic books use Sony's eReader. Haven't heard yet whether other readers are supported.

victoriaheidi
09-07-2011, 05:57 PM
We haven't gotten the early access yet, either. I'm ScarletFlight22. I set up my oldest DD's account on the last day of the challenge, but she later got a "oops something went wrong" email from Pottermore, so her ID wasn't created. (Their "forgot my ID/password" features don't work, although it recognizes her ID.)

The teasers on their twitter and blog are really ticking me off. They regularly say "We're sending out more invitations." but they don't say what their sampling is based on and I don't know anyone in real life who has gotten access.

It seems to be random since people from all 7 days of challenges say they're still waiting, but given the screwup with the Yahoo! congrats emails, I have to wonder if most of the "still waiting" crew have Yahoo! IDs. Perhaps whatever that problem was is still ongoing and they're not bothering to check on it?

I can't really tell who's legit and who's a poser on the various chat boards, but it sounds there have been a number of bugs in Pottermore.com. The Potions Brewing runs slow and stalls. They took down wizard dueling temporarily - sounded like it was too popular for its own good and kept crashing. There have been a few reports of site lockups and server crashes. Various browsers encounter different issues in terms of response time and accuracy. (Could be based on other factors, too, like traffic, ISP, workstation.)

Allegedly, they accepted 1m early access registrants but less than 300k have been granted access. I can only assume that their beta servers are straining or they're trying to fix the problems before admitting more people, so they can get fresh samplings of the beta results from different populations.

I really haven't been impressed with the technical workings of Pottermore.com - it seems like they're always scrambling to fix something and the system is always overwhelmed. It's been that way since the first hints came out. They underestimate the traffic and under-support the backbone. I guess it saves money.

Oh, and the electronic books use Sony's eReader. Haven't heard yet whether other readers are supported.

I just got my invite on Monday night, and my sister got hers on Tuesday morning. We were of the impression that people like Evanna Lynch were the only ones on...until we got our invites, that is. :p

I stink at potions and spells. I'm now wondering if it's not my problem, but the system's.

FigureSpins
09-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I stink at potions and spells. I'm now wondering if it's not my problem, but the system's.
I've read a few reviews that said it was easier on Google Chrome than Firefox, etc. so it's possible.