PDA

View Full Version : Can't Sleep! Am I Having An Anxiety Attack?

walei
08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
It's 2 am and I can't sleep. I dont know what is wrong I feel anxious with a "knot" in my stomach, and I feel my feet are uncomfortably warm even though the aircon is on and I'm sure physically my feet is fine. Restless feet syndrome?

I am not stressed and nothing going on in my life that I can think of shoukd make me anxious with... but can't say subconciously... It is irritating and uncomfortable... slightly hard to breath and long deep breaths aren't helping...

I am rambling but this is really irritating! I have experience things like this before but right now it is so uncomfortable that I can't fall asleep...

Anyone know what is wrong with me?

Holley Calmes
08-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I do this all the time! Yes, it sounds a lot like anxiety. It's very irritating. I have never been a good sleeper. As soon as I get in bed my brain starts racing-all kinds of thoughts about the day, about my job. They just won't quit. And I have a knot in my tummy, and I flip and flop and sometimes sweat. Definitely get too hot. My heart beats faster and I do breath very shallowly.

Anxiety is definitely a culprit. However, it could also be a reaction to how much caffeine you had during the day or after about mid afternoon. Or a reaction to something you ate that you have a mild allergy to. It can even be from exercising too late in the day. That sounds weird, but for some people, exercising at night wakes them up big time.

My solution is several large glasses of wine before I go to bed, but I realize that's probably not the best thing to do! :lol: I figure it's that or get myself addicted to a different type of drug.....

I am sure our FSU friends can offer all kinds of advice. But mine is to not worry too much about it. Or, talk to your doctor. There's lots of anti anxiety meds out there. I don't take them because I'd rather just go with the wine.

walei
08-05-2011, 07:47 PM
LOL booze. Too bad I only have cold beer and I am just coming off of a cold...

I am usually quick to fall asleep but I am never well rested because I feel I dream all the time and they are just mundane dreams that I would remember when I wake up.

Not sure what stress I have though I am actually not thinking of anything except this feeling sucks and I want it to go away cuz I want to sleep !!

GarrAarghHrumph
08-05-2011, 08:33 PM
If you can't sleep, go do something else for a while. Something that's not watching tv or being on the computer. Maybe read, but not in bed. Then when you start feeling tired again, go to bed and give it another try.

Rob
08-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I
My solution is several large glasses of wine before I go to bed, but I realize that's probably not the best thing to do! :lol: I figure it's that or get myself addicted to a different type of drug.....

That is my medication of choice when I am stressed about work. Sleeping pills make me sick, Advil PM will keep me up all night, and I hate groggy feelings. A couple of nice glasses of red wine and I stop worrying about the deadlines. Of course, if you have depression, not so good - but I know I don't. I just have too many long days with too much to do.

MacMadame
08-05-2011, 08:48 PM
It's 2 am and I can't sleep. I dont know what is wrong I feel anxious with a "knot" in my stomach, and I feel my feet are uncomfortably warm even though the aircon is on and I'm sure physically my feet is fine. Restless feet syndrome?

Generally a panic attack feels more like a heart attack. But stress can feel like a knot in the stomach.

For the feet, they may really just be hot. When my feet feel like that, I get them out from under the covers. You have to be comfortable to fall asleep.

Aussie Willy
08-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Can I throw in a clanger on this? But if it is a constant problem it would be worth checking out.

My dad's wife had similar symptoms. She had really serious panic attacks but she wasn't stressed. After collapsing it was discovered she had a tumour on her adrenal gland. And a guy at work who was short of breath found he has the same thing but not the same extent. He discovered it when getting an xray to check his lungs as he had previously worked with asbestos. He thought the breathing problems might have been related to that. It is now just going to be monitored and unless it gets serious then they will have to do something about it.

kwanfan1818
08-06-2011, 01:21 AM
I would suggest a Feldenkrais technique: lie on your bed or on the floor with your knees bent. Rest your arms loosely at your sides. Without trying to stretch your fingers, slowly expand them out and then let them retract, so that all of your fingers are curved and the tip of each pointer and/or third finger touches the tip of your thumb, but without ever clenching. Breathe slowly, trying to match your inhales in one direction to exhales in the other. (Your fingers will tend to extend farther as you repeat.)

If your mind races away, start over.

walei
08-06-2011, 02:26 AM
So I finally fell asleep. I decided to sit on the toilet a read a little and finally was somewhat relaxed enough for me to sleep. I did wake up several times but now it is 9am so I guess I did get a few hours in. Good thing today is the weekend.

I still have a knot and my feet still feel weird. Gonna get some wine today and try out KwanFan's advice, I did feel a bit easier to breath when I stretch me feet in bed last night. Company physical is coming up in a few weeks I will definitely bring this up to the doctors too.

I don't know if my issue is physical or mental though... My feet, I can't really keep them still for too long during the day I have a constant need to move them. Also they feel warmer but it is not so when I ask others to feel my feet. Sucks when I am at the movies...

Holley Calmes
08-06-2011, 04:13 AM
I just think you have a lot of energy and that's a blessing. What do you do for exercise? If you don't do much in that line, consider what might be fun for you. It's easier to fall asleep when you're physically worn out. Plus, it's good for you-like wine! :lol:

Seriously, you sound like a cool person with a high energy level. Maybe you need to push yourself more with hobbies or things to expend your energy on. I mean that as a compliment!

walei
08-06-2011, 06:16 AM
:lol: Maybe that's it! I use to exercise (not hard core) every day but I've been sick this week so didn't do anything to wear myself out.

I don't think it's an anxiety attack, but more of an antsy feeling for no apparent reason.