PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 6 August 3/4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

kwanatic
08-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I said the top 4 would be Melanie, Sasha, Tadd and Marko...yay for me and my psychic powers!

I really love Rickey but I was sure he wasn't going to make it to the final. However, I'm very happy he's made it that far. As for Caitlyn, she had a great night on Wednesday and has been consistent throughout the competition. Unfortunately, Melanie and Sasha are the "beasts" of this season and next to them, she just doesn't stand out enough. But I totally agree with he making it this far.

I still say Melanie's got this one in the bag...but I think it'd be a photo-finish b/w her and Sasha...

Aceon6
08-05-2011, 01:28 PM
NY Pro Dancers talk about SYTYCD. My favorite quote: "But following the contestant Marko Germar’s impassioned contemporary number, the group was surprised to see both him and Lady Gaga in tears.

“This is totally for ratings,” Mr. Rue said as Mr. Germar’s eyes watered.

“Who wants to hire somebody like that — that’s going to cry every time they have to do an emotional piece?” Ms. Peck asked."

Dunno about that. Marko's new at this. Does anyone here remember the first time they did something REALLY HARD and succeeded? It's such an emotional release when you're done. Some people giggle, some people break down, but there's usually a reaction. If Marko gets more work, I'd expect his reaction to be a bit more subdued.

pixie cut
08-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Dunno about that. Marko's new at this. Does anyone here remember the first time they did something REALLY HARD and succeeded? It's such an emotional release when you're done. Some people giggle, some people break down, but there's usually a reaction. If Marko gets more work, I'd expect his reaction to be a bit more subdued.

I found the article to be very catty and I would venture to guess there's some jealousy that these relatively inexperienced dancers get to perform on TV before such a huge audience. I'm not saying every dancer's goal is a highly produced TV competition, but performers are performers and they like being seen.

reckless
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm surprised that they did not mention Jess in that article, since he has already been in two Broadway shows.

skatingfan5
08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I found the article to be very catty and I would venture to guess there's some jealousy that these relatively inexperienced dancers get to perform on TV before such a huge audience.

“This is totally for ratings,” Mr. Rue said as Mr. Germar’s eyes watered.
“Who wants to hire somebody like that — that’s going to cry every time they have to do an emotional piece?” Ms. Peck asked."Totally catty and totally overlooks the fact that Marko was performing this piece with his mother in the studio audience for the first time. I daresay that might have contributed just a bit to his tearful reaction.

Whatever. I said a couple of weeks ago (when I expected Ricky to be eliminated), that I would be happy with a final four of Melanie, Marko, Sasha, and Tadd -- and I am. I am a bit sadder to see Caitlynn go than I thought I would be at the time, because, for me at least, she has really come on strong in her dances the past 2 weeks. And, yes, I thought it was completely graceless for Nigel to diss Caitlynn with his "dancing from your head/overthinking your dancing" comments. He knew she was going to be eliminated, so he could have found something more positive to say. He probably was so entralled with his "head/heart/soul" trilogy that he didn't use any of his own. :lynch:

Katie Holmes next week. Oh dear. Well I guess I should be thankful that at least it isn't Tom. :slinkaway

pixie cut
08-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Katie Holmes next week. Oh dear. Well I guess I should be thankful that at least it isn't Tom. :slinkaway

He might be more animated and he did do a mean underwear dance in Risky Business. ;) Doesn't that qualify as dance experience?

skatingfan5
08-05-2011, 04:10 PM
He might be more animated and he did do a mean underwear dance in Risky Business. ;) Now I have visions of Tom jumping up and down on the judges' desk (Oprah couch scene revisited) in his tighty-whiteys! :yikes: :scream:

OnyxRose81
08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Nigel is such an ass. I almost don't care who wins this season. It's been an over-manipulated mess from the beginning.

And besides, winning this show is overrated. Losing seems to be more profitable.

I didn't care who won when no one was sent home the first week. I knew that the judges were going to save their favorites and someone deserving would get sent home (Iveta/Nick). This show was such a mess. You could telegraph who would be in the final the very first week the live shows started.

Rob
08-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Right before the big reveal, Cat asked Nigel for final thoughts. He says Caitlyn dances with her head, but Melanie dances with her heart and Sasha dances with her soul. Now really, Caitlyn is about to be eliminated; he couldn't let her go out on a better note?

That was really uncalled for.

No surprises.

Liked the Bay Boys of Dance.

Woo hoo Joshua and Mark! I was really hoping to see Joshua again. So predictions anyone? Will these all be "in style?"

Joshua Tadd
Mark Sasha
Robert Melanie
Lauren Marko

Or you could switch Mark and Robert.

I too am "meh" over the lack of diversity of the dances. Remember when Nigel said week 1 that maybe the hat would have "samba or tap" and if Nick and a girl who could tap picked it, they would get a tap number. Then he promptly dumped Nick. But couldn't Jess tap too? I think Jordan and Miranda could tap, don't know who else, but Nigel said there were 4 girls who could tap. There were a couple of Bollywoods, a Whack, an Afro Jazz, a Salsa, a couple of Tango/Arg. Tango, but no Disco (not that I love Doriana), nothing like Mambo or West Coast Swing, no Krump (not that anyone in this group would be good at it). Heck, they even did Tahitian last year.

I do like the Top 4, but I think I would have had more fun if Nick and Iveta had stuck around longer. There was some diversity in the guys ranks, but not the girls.
Did Melanie ever get Latin?

Holley Calmes
08-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I found the article to be very catty and I would venture to guess there's some jealousy that these relatively inexperienced dancers get to perform on TV before such a huge audience. I'm not saying every dancer's goal is a highly produced TV competition, but performers are performers and they like being seen.

You are probably right, with some of them and to an extent.

However, I know a lot of professional dancers who roll their eyes at this show, not because they are mocking the inexperienced kids who are truly doing their best, but because all this air time and promotion is so wasted!

Dancers care about their craft, and let's be frank-what you see on this show is not the greatest dancing there is. It's entertaining, sure. But it's a popularity contest voted on by an enormous audience of largely uninformed people, most of them young.

Now, wouldn't it be terrific if there was a prime time show that focused on the young dancers of some great schools or companies, who were really, really talented? Not just ballet or contemporary-but from all disciplines including hip hop, ballroom, traditional Spanish and Flamenco, and all the traditional folk dancing academies. (We must have 5 or 6 major schools of Chinese and Indian dance just in Atlanta!) This would introduce all those young viewers to dance that was on a bit higher level but still thoroughly entertaining and engrossing.

Perhaps there's a bit of jealousy at these kids getting all the attention, but at the same time, and especially this year, I think a lot of eye rolling is indicative of jealousy of the opportunity to show what's truly art, what dance at its best can be. And the over-the-top gushing from the "judges" just reinforces that what viewers are seeing is seemingly as good as it gets, which is a far cry from the truth.

And the one minute segments of people from major companies don't count! They don't even get enough air time to provide a true experience. Just "takeoffs and landings" which is what SYTYCD is about. Just tricks for the most part.

I had a dance professional friend on Facebook state this morning that as much as she hated to say it, the Bad Boys of Dance are getting to be "just like the SYTYCD people - nothing but tricks." That's not me saying it, but there you go.

Just my opinion!

Rob
08-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I had a dance professional friend on Facebook state this morning that as much as she hated to say it, the Bad Boys of Dance are getting to be "just like the SYTYCD people - nothing but tricks." That's not me saying it, but there you go.

I hadn't seen them before, but I thought that was the whole point of them anyway. Danny and Jakob have been in the cast, and I thought Jaimie was one of the token girls for a tour or two. Did I see Adrian Lee (Season 7 cut at the home visits) in the group?

kwanfan1818
08-05-2011, 07:33 PM

I hadn't seen them before, but I thought that was the whole point of them anyway.
Bad Boys of Dance are a bunch of tricks. It is their point, to strip away refinement and go straight for the testosterone.

I've seen Rasta Thomas dance Apollo with Dance Theater of Harlem -- it was the opposite of the Peter-Martins-As-Greek-God interpretation, more like Undisciplined-Puppy-Turns-Into-Young-Man-With-A-Purpose (in the original, full-length version with the childbirth scene), quite fascinating -- and he also guested with Pacific Northwest Ballet in one of Peter Boal's first seasons. He can do better, but chooses not to.

He's not very tall, and the men in his company must be quite small. There aren't that many opportunities for smaller men in the ballet world.

Holley Calmes
08-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah-it is a point, but there is a world of difference between the Bad Boys of Dance - or what I have seen of them before - and a group dance featuring the guys on this show. You can still execute technically difficult choreography and maintain a high level of expression, artistry, and interpretation which one does NOT see from SYTYCD on the level of the typical BBD. I know you know what I'm saying.

Holley Calmes
08-05-2011, 07:46 PM
I hadn't seen them before, but I thought that was the whole point of them anyway. Danny and Jakob have been in the cast, and I thought Jaimie was one of the token girls for a tour or two. Did I see Adrian Lee (Season 7 cut at the home visits) in the group?

Speaking of Season 7 cuts, Anthony Burrell was just here in Atlanta and wanted Richard to take pictures, but they couldn't work out the times. Too bad! I can't remember Adrian Lee. I'll go look him up.

Matryeshka
08-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Just finished watching both. My long, rambling thoughts as I watched:

Mary looks bad. Celebrity judges on SYTYCD rule.

Melanie/Twitch—Oh Melanie. What a big misstep that was. Her expressions were fierce and she was trying. I give her credit for not phoning it in and dance her little heart out, but there’s a reason the producers did not give her a hard-hitting hip hop till now. Finally, a decent NappyTabs routine with good music and we get…Melanie. Sasha could have done that really well. :P Umm…Nigel…just because you say it doesn’t make it true.

Sasha/Kent---WTH? Kent is still a baby. A very talented baby, but Sasha looks like a coked-out dancing cougar next to him. This was a very well-danced piece and I thought the choreo was good, but I can’t get over the mismatch of partners. I don’t buy corn-fed Kent as an angsty male lead. Tyce should only be allowed to choreograph this style. Christina was one adjective away from saying “organic.”

Marko/Jeanette—The one time I agreed with Nigel and his pets was when he said he wanted Jeanette to win her season. I was :wuzrobbed when she was voted off. Ballroom not Marko’s strength—the wobbled on his back heel a few times, but recovered nicely. Got stronger as it went. It would have been good had it been the first week of the top ten, but not the second to last week.

Ricky—great solo! :swoon:

Tadd/Ellenore—I’ve been reading a lot of trashy historicals, and clearly Sonya has too. LURVE it. Love the macabre circus elements, almost an S&M vibe. :grope: Truly, truly, truly creative. It was more of a performance art pieced, but I love the mood it set. One of the few dances that was just way too short.

Caitlynn—Hairography :blah:

Ricky/Jaimie—This was a pairing that needed to happen. I don’t think the sticks needed to happen, but I loved seeing them have fun with them. Jaimie never got enough credit as a dancer; I’m still :confused: as to how Lauren outlasted her on her season. Loved this routine. Ricky might have just danced himself into the top four with that. He sort of looks like Harry Bellafonte sometimes.

Tadd—I thought it was a great solo, it just wasn’t anything we haven’t seen already from him. My dad came in and saw breaking for the first time. He was very impressed; watching through my dad’s eyes was great.

Sasha—Great song for her. I liked that better than y’all did. Loved the sharp clean movements with ballet moves.

Caitlynn/Pasha—Let’s just take out Caitlynn and have Pasha/Dmitri dance together. Caitlynn should consider moving to ballroom. Her ballroom routines have been her best, and she doesn’t look like a competition cheerleader.

Marko—good solo. Not great, but good.

Melanie—She’s so freaking good. That was sassy. It’s a shame she and Sasha had to be on the same season. Solo waaay too short. I’d give a slight edge to Sasha, but it’s a stylistic preference only. Love watching both of them.

Sasha/Ricky—They look like manic Vogue cheerleaders. (Which really, if they were going to introduce whacking, it really should have been Vogue.) Not sure whacking works for this show. It was better than the two-step or Russian folk dancing. I was comparing her to Princess Whackadoo like Mary. It’s not good when you come up lacking to Princess Whackadoo. They’re trying to throw Ricky under the bus. Since I watched PR before this, I kept thinking about the Cone of Shame when I saw her dress.

Melanie/Tadd—Dumb, overly convoluted concept. If it takes multiple sentences, simplify. Melanie needs some tanning on her legs—I think that’s where the jiggly thigh thing comes in—they’re just too white and out there. Tadd’s lucky Melanie’s so fabulous and could make that work. Spencer is too. :P Some damning with faint praise with Tadd. You were good…as a prop. For Melanie. Who we want to win now, cause Sasha didn’t whack hard enough. I’m thinking they’re going to let the audience decide between Tadd and Ricky.

Caitlynn/Marko—I like that in general, the dancers seem more professional this season. There’s not been any talk of made-up crushes, weird shenanigans, weird things said about their partners. Caitlynn GREAT in this. Marko great too, but I expect that of Marko. This is the first week I’ve thought it would be a shame to lose any of the girls, but I could lose both Tadd and Ricky. I feel like Caitlynn could have been a better dancer had she gotten a better edit. These last couple of weeks, I’ve really come to see why she made it this far. Caitlynn had a GREAT night.

Elimination night:
Holy Butter Dish Batman! That outfit is all kinds of horrible on Cat. Nigel must have gotten some feedback on judges picking who goes home, or the audience vote came out how they wanted. :lol:

Really enjoyed Lauren and Kent’s routine. Even better this time around. Lauren’s toe point has improved a lot.

Looking back at Caitlynn, she’s the unsung dancer. She had a lot of amazing routines. Ricky could be a truly, truly, truly great dancer if he had some more technical classes. I love watching him. Both I think maybe would have been more memorable had they waited a couple of years.

In general, as manipulated as this season was, I think the final four are right, with maybe Tadd being traded out for Nick, Jesse, or Ricky. I think Nick was probably very versatile and suffered from we must kick couples off not individuals. I believe Iveta should have made it further, but I doubt she would have made the top four.

:konspiracy: I do wonder though this season if some more charismatic, talented boys were left off because Dirty Old Man Nigel wants to see girls win. Not that Sasha and Melanie wouldn't be deserving in any season, but it was so clear from the beginning that those two were a cut above everyone else. I can't imagine in all the guys that auditioned, they couldn't find male dancers that had sound technique.