View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 6 August 3/4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

rjblue
08-04-2011, 03:03 AM
I liked everything except the Paso tonight. My favourites were:

1.Sasha and Kent- by quite a lot
2.Caitlyn and Marko
3.Caitlyn and Pasha

The rest of the numbers were good, I enjoyed watching them, but none of them were ones I'd hope to see on tour.

Ricky had the best solo for the guys, and Melanie for the girls.

I couldn't say who is safe after tonight. I could make a case for any of them to stay or go. My personal favourite is Sasha for the win.

uyeahu
08-04-2011, 03:06 AM
I think among the girls Caitlynn had the best night of the three but I don't envision a final with her in it. There's just no way it won't be Sasha and Melanie. Among the guys I'm less certain. Marko deserves to be in the final and I don't expect him to be in the bottom 2 tomorrow. Who the judges will send home given a choice between Tadd and Ricky though, I don't know. Could go either way. Ricky had a better night tonight but I think he's been in the bottom more often.

Holley Calmes
08-04-2011, 03:15 AM
wow melanie being compared to shirley temple is gonna have holley in a fetal position somewhere

Haha! Richard and I actually watched it live tonight. Again, I wasn't swept away by anyone. I agree Caitlyn will be a goner, and it's up for grabs with the boys. I actually enjoyed the chandelier dance because it was different for heaven's sake. Richard and I have a system of checking off the 5 or 6 basic moves they seem to do in almost every dance, especially the solos. It goes something like develope into tilt, some form of bent leap, roll on the floor, sling head, 2 seconds of trying to be sexy, repeat. The choreography this year has NOT been up to snuff, in my opinion.

But oh yeah, Melanie being compared to ST did make me gag a bit, though I refrained from curling up in a little ball on the couch. Maybe that's why I just can't get into Melanie though I acknowledge her abilities within what she does well. That unceasing twinkly-nosed cutsie bit COULD be compared to ST's prissy little preciousness that had me wanting to slap her as a 7 year old. Barf.

I'm voting for Marko and Caitlin just for fun, and I really think Sasha deserves the win. Her number with Twitch is the only dance this season I'd like to see again. We need better choreographers and more variety in the types of dancers they choose, and older dancers would also be better. These kids are nice but so immature.

uyeahu
08-04-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm voting for Caitlynn and Marko too. I love the commitment the both of them have shown all season.

flyingsit
08-04-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm with those who just don't get Sasha. Not sure why, but I don't buy into the character or the emotion at all when she dances.

rjblue
08-04-2011, 03:37 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Caitlyn beats out either Melanie or Sasha tomorrow night, because she had a better night and might get more casual votes, whereas Melanie and Sasha's fans might take it for granted they are safe. (There! I just made sure that Caitlyn will be voted off. My predictions are usually wrong.)

uyeahu
08-04-2011, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't be shocked if Caitlyn beats out either Melanie or Sasha tomorrow night, because she had a better night and might get more casual votes, whereas Melanie and Sasha's fans might take it for granted they are safe. (There! I just made sure that Caitlyn will be voted off. My predictions are usually wrong.)

Pretty sure the judges decide who goes home tomorrow. Caitlyn would have to beat both Melanie and Sasha in the votes to not be in the bottom 2 and up for elimination (which is very unlikely) and I can't imagine the judges choosing to keep her over Sasha or Melanie, just as I can't imagine Melanie not winning the season.

Satellitegirl
08-04-2011, 05:08 AM
I liked Sasha a lot more tonight. She has grown as far as her vulnerability while dancing.

I may or may not be in the minority with this one, but I loved Melanie and Twitch's hip hop routine. Great stuff.

kwanfan1818
08-04-2011, 06:51 AM
I agree. I thought Tadd's solo was awful. His dancing seemed very heavy in the solo and he didn't dance enough in the piece Sonya did.

For some reason, I'm never that thrilled with Sasha's solos
Sasha is my least favorite dancer of the final six, but her's was the only solo that kept my interest. I understand why Ricky's and Melanie's were good, but they felt like re-hashes. I didn't think Tadd's was that much worse. I wish they had asked the dancers to pick another genre for their solos, although I understand that they had too much to do this week, or to drop the solo altogether.

I don't get the tears either, but I haven't gotten the tears for any of the emo dances so far on this or SYTYCDC.

Caitlynn held nothing back and that really worked. She looked great with Pasha.
I thought she looked great with both partners: I watched her more than Marko in her last piece.

Melanie just kicked everyone's ass on the solos!
I do not get this. It was beautifully danced, but as a composition?

I liked how physically well matched Ricky and Sasha are. When their unison was on it worked quite well. Sasha was able to handle the movement better than Ricky, but I expected that.
I think Ricky looks really good with partners. I think he has a generous presence and makes them look good.

In the Paso Doble, Marko looked like he was going for the poses, and didn't make enough of the dance in between to make the stops/silences mean anything.

I really like the piece with the chandelier -- at least it kept me awake, and, oddly, the most gimmicky premise didn't seem like a gimmick -- and really appreciated whichever judge talked about how risky it was, and how easily it could have gone wrong. However, Tadd was so unconvincing as a guy into his partner that I was gobsmacked at how into Melanie he seemed. Maybe he needs a more concrete story, or a choreographer who doesn't tell him he wants to kiss his partner's toes.

Satellitegirl
08-04-2011, 12:38 PM
S

Yes. People were buzzing about it on the net.

kwanatic
08-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Melanie: It was nice to see her outside of her comfort zone and I thought she pulled off the hip hop really well. Her Broadway routine felt more like a jazz routine more than anything...I mean, when I compare that routine to any of the other Broadway routines, I don't see any similarities. Still, it was a great piece and her solo was awesome! Best all season, next to Rickey's "Body Language". She's definitely into the final...

Caitlyn: I thought she stepped it up tonight and proved why she's made it this far. I don't see her beating out Sasha or Melanie, but stranger things have happened...

Sasha: Incredible performance from her. I think Tyce did an amazing job and how about Kent! He was fabulous! I agree with what Christina said about Sasha; there's just something about her. She's not a remarkable technician or anything, but she has that intangible something that is unable to be taught in class. I enjoyed her solo (I love that song by Gaga). I did not care for that whacking routine and I'm mad they chose that style to give to Sasha and Rickey at such a critical point in the show. They did what they could with it, but I think they got jipped last night with that one.

Rickey: I enjoyed Rickey's performances last night. I do hate he had to do that whacking routine, but he and Sasha pulled it off about as good as it could be done. I don't think he'll beat Tadd or Marko but I'm really happy he's made it this far...

Tadd and Marko: I'm putting them together b/c I often mix them up! :lol: So I'll just comment on the dancing.

I wasn't completely with the chandelier routine, though I did think it was pretty cool. I've never seen anyone use a prop like that. I agreed with Nigel though--I expected a bit more dancing. The second Sonja routine was much better though...I don't know about Tadd's solo (I remember that). It was okay, but nothing to write home about. I thought Marko's solo was very nice. I think both of them will make it to the final...

I see Sasha, Melanie, Tadd and Marko in the final...and I really think it'll come down to Melanie and Sasha. I'm like Nigel when it comes to who my favorite is; I flip-flop between the two. However, I do think Melanie will come out as the winner. I don't think she's had a bad performance all season long. She has been lucky on the draw, not being pushed too far out of her element, but she's done everything they've asked of her and done it very well. Just one more week to go! :rollin:

Allen
08-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Isn't the fact that it was beautifully danced the point? As a composition, who knows, but I thought it was by far the best danced solo of the night. This is a dancing competition, not a choreography competition. Which is something Sonya should have remembered with the chandelier routine.

pixie cut
08-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Isn't the fact that it was beautifully danced the point? As a composition, who knows, but I thought it was by far the best danced solo of the night. This is a dancing competition, not a choreography competition. Which is something Sonya should have remembered with the chandelier routine.

I thought Melanie's solo was nice, but not earth shattering. I thought she looked ridiculous and totally out of her element in the hip hop routine. I felt Twitch dummied his dancing down as much as possible so as not to overwhelm her, but her discomfort still showed through.

Kent surprised me in his routine with Sasha. He did okay and allowed her to shine.

Caitlynn did well, but honestly anyone with a modicum of dancing skill would look good with Pasha. This man is a supreme partner.

If Tadd had been dancing that routine with anyone other than Ellinore it would have been garbage. Ellinore saved his ass and made it decent. He was fine, but it wasn't Sonia's finest work. She was trying too hard and lost sight of the dancing.

Marko wasn't at his best in the paso, but it had nice moments. Janette was a salsa dancer, but I'm sure she's picked up a lot of Latin and ballroom after touring with Burn the Floor.

Ricky did the best he could with the dumb wacking routine.

kwanfan1818
08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't question her dancing: she's danced almost everything she's done beautifully. To me the solo looked like some of her other solos that didn't get such raves. I don't understand why this one got all of the raves.

It might be a dancing competition, but the show and the choreographer are looking for rewards, and they're also looking for interesting routines for the tour. I think that one qualifies.

One of the contemporary dancers on SYTYCDC, Joey, also does aerial ribbons. I wonder what he'd have looked like in the chandelier routine.

Holley Calmes
08-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Maybe it's a decision for the viewer on whether anything with aerials is under the venue of "dance". If you want to get picky, I think about 1/4 to 1/3 of what these kids do isn't dance but gymnastics. So why shouldn't aerial movement be included if you're also accepting gymnastic moves? How about "dance" when the dancers are in wheelchairs? Are we going to deny them being dancers because they aren't moving around the floor like the others?

I find aerials very graceful, and I know they are technically difficult, so they have my respect. They please my eye and meet my definition of dance as human bodies moving through space interpreting music, ideas, life in general, and that's all I care about, frankly.

I personally liked the piece and found it a blessed relief from all of the hystrionics and BS of most of the other pieces. All that contemporary/jazz flinging about gets really old. Loved the ballroom, though. Pasha and Dimitry in the same room! Heavens, I thought my heart would melt.

I also notice that there are so few FSU'ers commenting on the show this year. Only 4 pages for the next to final week? I have been greatly let down by the show this time around, and I guess I'm not the only one. I'm sad about it and will definitely give it another shot, but I think the bloom is off the rose. I'm definitely not going to the tour unless someone gives me a ticket!