PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 6 August 3/4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

Aceon6
08-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Just stumbled upon Season 6 on Ovations. I came into the Boston auditions mid show with Channing Cooke (the ice cream girl). Happy find.

AYS
08-07-2011, 01:08 AM
The piece specifically isn't up for an Emmy. It's part of that choreographer's body of work. I don't remember who the choreographer is.
I think the Emmy nominations for choreographers were always for a specific piece by that choreographer, not a body of work.

ETA: I guess it is body of work in a way but they list out the specific pieces:
List from buddytv.com (http://www.buddytv.com/articles/so-you-think-you-can-dance/so-you-think-you-can-dance-pic-41009.aspx)

The full list of Emmy nominations for So You Think You Can Dance are:

•Outstanding Choreography: Mia Michaels for Alice in Mia-Land "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" (group dance), "When We Dance" (group dance), "This Bitter Earth -- On the Nature of Daylight" (danced by Billy Bell, Ade Obayami and Alex Wong)
•Outstanding Choreography: Stacey Tookey for "Mad World" (danced by Billy Bell and Ade Obayomi), "Sundrenched World" (danced by Kent Boyd and Allison Holker), "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" (danced by Kathryn McCormick and Robert Roldan)
•Outstanding Choreography: Travis Wall for "Collide" (danced by Lauren Froderman and Kent Boyd), "How It Ends" (danced by Kent Boyd and Neil Haskell), "Fix You" (danced by Allison Holker and Robert Roldan)
•Outstanding Choreography: Tabitha and Napoleon D'umo for "Scars" (danced by Robert Roldan and Dominic Sandoval), "Fallin" (danced by Comfort Fedoke and AdeChike Torbert), "Outta Your Mind" (danced by Alex Wong and Twitch Boss)
•Outstanding Choreography: Mandy Jo Moore for "Oh Yeah" (danced by Lauren Froderman and Ade Obayomi), "Boogie Shoes" (danced by Billy Bell and Lauren Froderman), "I Surrender" (danced by Charlie Bruce and Neil Haskell)

tarotx
08-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Collide wouldn't be up for an Emmy and shouldn't even be Travis's 3rd dance. His Paris is burning showcase dance should be imo. He's really up for either Fix you:the Mother Cancer dance or How it ends:the "bestfriend" betrayal dance. The Choreographer submited a tape of 3 of his dances. Last season was the first year it went like this before it was individual dance.

Kent has matured but the movement and music for his piece with Sasha seemed to call for a movement chemistry that Sasha has only found with Twitch and Melanie to a degree. I think Kent was all wrong for the piece. Just imagine two older dancers or dancers that truly know how to show grown up physicality in the piece and you know it was wrong. Imagine s4 Will or Anthony Burrell or All Star Neil in the piece. Imo.

The Bad boys of dance routine was weird because it featured dancers who came from 3 different locations on Tuesday. Adrian Lee is a former member and not a current one. It obviously wasn't a well rehearsed pieced. It was like a good sytycd top guy routine.

I don't think it was Caitlynn's edit. She wasn't shown badly or anything. Nigel even at one time said she was his top girl. Until Wednesday night I think she just couldn't make her dances memorable and her solos sucked. And even then her Samba wasn't really memorable-just the best Latin of the season. Her Sonya Jazz was really good. Her two flowy contemporaries were good but not as memorable as Melanie's, Marco's&Sasha and even Ricky's.

Allen
08-07-2011, 04:03 AM
They are still showing the season 6 auditions on Ovation right now. Billy Bell is getting ready to dance now.

genevieve
08-07-2011, 06:23 AM
I don't like that the Emmy is now for a body of work. :drama:

kwanfan1818
08-07-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't like that the Emmy is now for a body of work. :drama:

That's the way daytime Emmy's work, which makes much more sense of why it took Susan Lucci two decades to get one. Her genius was not a handful of scenes, but how she kept people loving/hating/being exasperated with/wanting to slap silly/rooting for her umpteenth wedding day in and day out over the course of forty years.

What does it mean to get a better edit?

LadyGray
08-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I wish they would go back to the original premise of the series and allow the dancers to look bad sometimes. The whole point was not to have emmy worthy dancing every week but to put great dancers into situations where they had to adapt their skill set and see who was the most adaptable. Now many of the choreographers are creating their pieces around the abilities of the dancers instead of having the dancers adapt to the style as needed. We learn less about the contestants, see less rehearsal footage and get "blah, blah, blah, Amazepants" from the judges. Nigel is slowly chipping away at what was once a solidly entertaining show.

I completely agree. This was before they decided to change the goal from finding America's BEST dancer to America's FAVORITE dancer, though, right?

LadyGray
08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
What does it mean to get a better edit?

Many people (those who participate in them and those who watch them) accuse the reality shows of editing the backstage/behind-the-scenes bits to make some contestants look better/worse than others in an attempt by TPTB to get the outcome TPTB want. I have thought this, on occasion.

Aceon6
08-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I completely agree. This was before they decided to change the goal from finding America's BEST dancer to America's FAVORITE dancer, though, right?

Actually, they switched in Season 2 when it became obvious that Benji was getting lots of votes. As Benji originally didn't even make the Top 20, Nigel would have had too much 'splaining to do.

Cheylana
08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
I wish they would go back to the original premise of the series and allow the dancers to look bad sometimes. The whole point was not to have emmy worthy dancing every week but to put great dancers into situations where they had to adapt their skill set and see who was the most adaptable. Now many of the choreographers are creating their pieces around the abilities of the dancers instead of having the dancers adapt to the style as needed. We learn less about the contestants, see less rehearsal footage and get "blah, blah, blah, Amazepants" from the judges. Nigel is slowly chipping away at what was once a solidly entertaining show.
You've really hit on something for me. Maybe ballroom and certain other styles have been jettisoned in favor of Emmy nominations. :blah:

Jimena
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I finally watched the show. I think Melanie's running away with this, with Sasha second and Marko third. I wish that it were Marko, Sasha and Melanie in that order but I'm not adamant about it. Of those three, I think Marko's been the most challenged (and has shown the most versatility), followed by Sasha. Melanie still hasn't even had a Latin dance.

In terms of routines, I'd rank them:

Sasha and Kent (!!!)
Marko and Caitlynn
Caitlynn and Pasha
Ricky and Jaimie
Marko and Janette
Tadd and Melanie
Tadd and Ellenore
Melanie and Twitch
Ricky and Sasha- talk about throwing Ricky to the wolves. Reminded me of the Russian FolK Dance during Season 5, when they really wanted to get rid of Phillip.

I think Caitlynn had a great night, and I say this even though I think better dancers left before her.

I'd put the solos in this order: Melanie, Marko, Sasha, Ricky, Caitlynn and Tadd. I guess I could never really get into Tadd. I don't think he's the best b-boy on the show and I don't think he's had one dance that I loved- other than the Meet the Top 20 hip hop piece. He sure is pretty, though.

I loved Sasha's solo in the results show. Loved it. I hope she didn't leave it all there and actually has an even better solo this week.

BlueAranjuez
08-08-2011, 06:17 AM
I'd really like to see Melanie do the Samba or one of the latin dances...I feel we've been lacking in them this season...

uyeahu
08-08-2011, 06:00 PM
After the "luck" Melanie's had this season with the hat, karma dictates she get a crump and a quickstep for the finale. :lol:

Allen
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
After the "luck" Melanie's had this season with the hat, karma dictates she get a crump and a quickstep for the finale. :lol:

That's what happened to Sabra in season three. Although, Sabra had a lot less Contemporary/Jazz than Melanie. I thought there was no way she'd win because of the dances she had in the final, but of course I ended up being wrong.

Jimena
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
That's what happened to Sabra in season three. Although, Sabra had a lot less Contemporary/Jazz than Melanie. I thought there was no way she'd win because of the dances she had in the final, but of course I ended up being wrong.

I thought she had a hip hop, jazz and cha cha. It was pretty even that season, I thought. Lacey had v. Waltz, lindy hop and jazz; Danny had V. Waltz, cha cha and contemporary; and Neil had hip hop, lindy hop and contemporary.