PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Top 6 August 3/4

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

kwanfan1818
08-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Yeah-it is a point, but there is a world of difference between the Bad Boys of Dance - or what I have seen of them before - and a group dance featuring the guys on this show. You can still execute technically difficult choreography and maintain a high level of expression, artistry, and interpretation which one does NOT see from SYTYCD on the level of the typical BBD. I know you know what I'm saying.

BBD bore me, though. I don't care how bright and shiny they are. I'd much rather watch the SYTYCD group boy numbers they slap together in a few hours, because of the contrast in styles among them and the choices they make, and the choreography certainly isn't any worse.

Rob
08-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Ricky could be a truly, truly, truly great dancer if he had some more technical classes. I love watching him.

He says in his bio interview that he is in the process of focusing more on ballet and wants to join a ballet company. Right now the feet aren't there, but I give him props for being one of the only non-ballet people on this show to close fifth (well, sometimes) in his solos and not just slosh through to the next step.

Holley Calmes
08-05-2011, 08:55 PM
BBD bore me, though. I don't care how bright and shiny they are. I'd much rather watch the SYTYCD group boy numbers they slap together in a few hours, because of the contrast in styles among them and the choices they make, and the choreography certainly isn't any worse.

Each to their own.

kwanfan1818
08-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I think Alvin Ailey company should hire him (Ricky).

Holley Calmes
08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Ricky does have an Ailey look, but he needs a lot more training before he'd be company worthy. He'd probably get a school scholarship though-maybe Fordham. Or maybe an apprenticeship. I agree he'd eventually be a great Ailey type.

kwanfan1818
08-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I was thinking of the second company (Ailey II), but maybe if he studied in the Ailey school, it might be a road to the company.

What I love most about him is that he makes his partners look good, and I think he'd be great in a company setting.

Holley Calmes
08-05-2011, 09:08 PM
He is a love. Such a sweet personality and bright spirit to him. He just needs some good, intense training, and I think he'd be sensational. They are ballet based. My daughter went there for a long summer, and the day starts with ballet, but it also includes a long list of other modern styles. My daughter said the modern was much harder for her than the ballet. My young friend who's at Fordham right now has already been asked to consider joining the Martha Graham company on graduation. She was ticking off the different methods they study, and it's amazing.

Rob
08-05-2011, 09:28 PM
I've seen Rasta Thomas dance Apollo with Dance Theater of Harlem -- it was the opposite of the Peter-Martins-As-Greek-God interpretation, more like Undisciplined-Puppy-Turns-Into-Young-Man-With-A-Purpose (in the original, full-length version with the childbirth scene), quite fascinating -- and he also guested with Pacific Northwest Ballet in one of Peter Boal's first seasons. He can do better, but chooses not to.

He's not very tall, and the men in his company must be quite small. There aren't that many opportunities for smaller men in the ballet world.

i saw him do Albrecht in Giselle with the Washington Ballet. Here is a review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55898-2004Oct22.html
It is pretty spot on as far as I remember.

kwanfan1818
08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a miss for him, but I wish I had seen Jimenez' Giselle.

genevieve
08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
belated!

Christina Applegate may be my favorite guest just this season. She was fantastic, and knew her shit (and was honest about when she didn't know her shit but still made intelligent comments)!!

Mel/Twitch - CrappyTabs: same as I've commented on others this season - she danced well, but looked like a contemporary dancer doing hip hop. bottom half of her body was too stiff, and the torso was too loose. she looked smokin though.

Sasha/Kent - Tyce Jazz: Tyce makes me nuts, cause he gives us piles of crap and then pulls something like this out of the air. Best piece of the night. Disagree with those who say Kent still looks too young.

Marko/Janette - Dmitry Paso: Janette!!!! :swoon: so happy they got real paso music instead of a distracting rock song. Marko is STILL having problems planting his feet. It's his one flaw, but I swear it happens every week. Cape lift was cool but looked a leetle bit labored.

Rickey solo - lovely but not his best

Tadd/Ellenore - Sonya: Ellenore!!!! :rollin: whee, using the music of Beirut! Love the costumes, and the concept of the dance, but the rigging became the focus and overshadowed the dance. Would love to see this as a longer piece.

Caitlynn solo - typical girl solo

Rickey/Jaime - Dee Caspary: I missed what the point of the sticks was but they felt gratuitous. Lovely connection between the two of them :)

Tadd solo - okay

Sasha solo - good

Caitlynn/Pasha - Dmitry Samba: felt like her feet were a little too far apart in a lot of the steps - but I'm in no teknik for samba so who knows. knees up looked great.

Marko solo - loved it!

Melanie solo - that was impressive. She made that up backstage? Damn. Did not look improvised.

Sasha/Rickey - "whacking": er....lady whackadoodle was fun to watch because she was so damned fast and precise. this looked like remedial vogue-ing. I thought they both did a good job and this was just a bad idea from TPTB.

Mel/Tadd - Spencer Liffs piece: I liked this piece but not quite as much as the judges did. Liked it more the second time.

Caitlynn/Marko - Sonya: gorgeous piece - lost steam a little bit by the end. excellent dancing by both. wish Caitlynn had gotten a better edit all season, because she really is outstanding.

Results show
The right people went home, although they are both fantastic dancers.

sasha's solo was amazing, everyone else was just good
melanie had a great costume, though - it IS possible to give her flattering outfits!!

Great to see Lauren F and Kent again, but I don't remember that piece. very generic. Did Cat say it's up for an Emmy?? :scream:

the Bad Boys of Dance sucked. all tricks, no content. it's like celine dion - it doesn't matter how great technically you are if all you're doing is schlock.

on to the finale!!

pixie cut
08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Great to see Lauren F and Kent again, but I don't remember that piece. very generic. Did Cat say it's up for an Emmy?? :scream:

on to the finale!!

The piece specifically isn't up for an Emmy. It's part of that choreographer's body of work. I don't remember who the choreographer is.

Allen
08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
The piece specifically isn't up for an Emmy. It's part of that choreographer's body of work. I don't remember who the choreographer is.

Travis Wall.

Aceon6
08-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Thinking ahead to the finale, Caitlynn may be this year's Sara. She'll probably have quite a few dances. We'll probably get to see the Sasha/Twitch again, which I will enjoy. What else? The Sasha/Mel?

Holley Calmes
08-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Please forgive if this is old news, but I just saw this link on my Facebook page and read it. At the bottom, Mary Murphy says the all-stars are not going on tour this year. I wasn't aware of that....maybe you all were, but it was a shock. If anyone wrote about it upthread, I missed it.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/08/05/mary-murphy-so-you-think-you-can-dance-waacking/

Interesting she was giving kudos to Sonya for the chandelier choreo. One can only wonder what goes on behind the scene that inspires the various publicity that goes out. I promise it's all crafted for very specific reasons. Interesting! I loved that piece myself.

uyeahu
08-06-2011, 11:18 PM
I wish they would go back to the original premise of the series and allow the dancers to look bad sometimes. The whole point was not to have emmy worthy dancing every week but to put great dancers into situations where they had to adapt their skill set and see who was the most adaptable. Now many of the choreographers are creating their pieces around the abilities of the dancers instead of having the dancers adapt to the style as needed. We learn less about the contestants, see less rehearsal footage and get "blah, blah, blah, Amazepants" from the judges. Nigel is slowly chipping away at what was once a solidly entertaining show.