PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Parents Do It?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

milanessa
08-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Shackles worked for me. ;)

FigureSpins
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
This is just a "hats off" to you parents! I just spent less than 2 days with my niece (7 years old) and nephew (4 1/2 years old), and I am exhausted!!!!!! I get 2 days off and then they will be back, this time with my other niece (9) and nephew (12). They are totally sweet, spirited but not overly rambunctious or misbehaving (well, boy gets cranky, but he's 4), only loud sometimes (not all the time), not grabby at all, and they don't argue about going to bed. And they like to read!!! So these ones are pretty darn easy, and I am still exhausted!!!!! Just a shout out to those of you who do this full time!!!!!
Just remember that you're making memories during the times that you spend together. My kind brother took my twins for a weekend. They went to the beach, the boardwalk, a zoo two states away. They loved it and the photos he took were beautiful and sweet. Kudos to you for giving it your best shot. Don't be afraid to call for a "Family Nap Time" so you can recharge your own batteries.

Andrushka
08-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I think parenting twins was easier than handling siblings that are close in age, but at different development stages. Get organized.

That's really how parents do it, for the most part: they're organized and they plan. Exersaucers for bathroom runs, play dates at the park to wear them down, showers during naptime.

There are some parents who are overwhelmed on a regular basis and I have sympathy for them, especially single parents who don't have a good support network.

I have been a single mom since my boys were 18 mons and 2.5.It's crazy busy. It's like having twins,especially when they around this age.They wear the same size clothing(they are tall boys),I have to get 2 of everything.When we leave the house "Ok...hats?2 hats,2 pairs of sunglasses,2 drinks,600 snacks(they are very hungry boys)2 books,2 trucks... 2 boys,2 boys buckled.....". They fight over shorts "But I want to wear those shorts today!"..."You wore them last time it's your brothers turn."....The only things they don't share at this point,different grade in school(but one is only a year ahead) and right now the eldest is in a sz 13 shoe and the youngest is in a 12.But I never know when he'll hit a growth spurt and catch up with his brother.And one likes gorillas and the other likes pandas.One likes strawberries,the other blueberries. If they have their backs to me,I will confess I sometimes am not sure which it is from afar.(they have the same color hair and almost the same height) I tried the organized route and do everything for one in blue and the other in green.But they both have green as their favorite color now.:) So much for that!:lol: I still only get showers when they are asleep..and now I am working on actually getting to go pee by myself. "Get out,I can pee by myself thankyou"..."Sit outside the door please." They are best friends but they also fight constantly too.

skateycat
08-04-2011, 07:44 PM
This is just a "hats off" to you parents! I just spent less than 2 days with my niece (7 years old) and nephew (4 1/2 years old), and I am exhausted!!!!!!

<snip />

Just a shout out to those of you who do this full time!!!!!

Thank you. And I have just the one, adorable little skateycat who is headed to kindergarten at the end of this month.

Have you heard the analogy of if you toss a frog into a pot of boiling water he hops out, but if you put him in a pot of room temperature water and slowly bring up the heat, he'll stay in even when it's boiling? I've never tested it with a real frog, but the analogy explains how we get through the days and years.

Poor frogs... :)

FigureSpins
08-04-2011, 08:07 PM
It's like having twins,especially when they around this age.
Same size is not the same as twins. Twins are usually at the same level of development, learning to crawl or walk at the same time. (God willing) When you have an 18 mo and a 2.5 yo, you're dealing with language skills, exploration, climbing at two different levels. I give you a lot of credit - that's a tough age gap.

I tried the organized route and do everything for one in blue and the other in green.But they both have green as their favorite color now.:) So much for that!:lol:

Not everything has to be in their favorite colors - you are the parent, you choose the colors for some of the things, let them choose for others. For bottles and sippy cups, don't let them pick - your choice of colors. For sneakers and folders, let them get the same color - just use a laundry marker to put their initials or name inside.

Whenever we went to a crowded event, all three girls were all in identical outfits. It was much easier to keep an eye on all three at the same time when you just had to count heads. Once or twice, someone else's kid would have the same swimsuit at the water park and I'd have to do a double-count to make sure my ducklings were all together.

Other than that, just let them pick their own clothes.

I still only get showers when they are asleep..and now I am working on actually getting to go pee by myself. "Get out,I can pee by myself thankyou"..."Sit outside the door please."
For showers, I prefer nights anyway, so it wasn't an issue. I just said "I need my privacy, please. Can you sing for me?" and they knew to wait outside and sing any song they wanted. That way I knew where they were and still had some privacy. Kids have to learn to give people some space and 18 mo isn't too young for that. When we went to a public restroom, I'd have them stand right in front of the door so I could see their feet. Heaven help the one who tried to check out the sink. Voices really echo and carry! In other places, I'd have them "Hold up the wall. Don't let it fall!" so they were occupied while I looked at something.

Rob
08-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Don't be afraid to call for a "Family Nap Time" so you can recharge your own batteries.

Well that is a good idea. The 4 year old isn't the best napper, but if I did it too, maybe he wouldn't think he is missing anything.

Bev Johnston
08-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Gosh, reading all of this is making me tired.

It all does change, though, and it never gets easier, just different. While I think younger kids are physically challenging, older kids are more of a mental challenge to me. I don't have to worry about my 16 year old eating glue or wandering into the street, but I worry like crazy when he is out, driving around town with friends. And at some point it becomes just as dangerous to leave a teenager alone as it does a two year old. Sigh...

skatemommy
08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
^ Bev brings up a good point. My middle schooler is dependent on me for money (from doing chores) and getting places (mall, friend's house). I'm going to miss that when the time comes...

FigureSpins
08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Well that is a good idea. The 4 year old isn't the best napper, but if I did it too, maybe he wouldn't think he is missing anything.
Little Bear (TV Show) knocks me out in a heartbeat. Whenever it came on, the girls would say "It's Mommy's nap time" and get their little pillows and blankets.

Rob
08-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Well, happy to report that no-one got injured. The 12- and 9-year olds were downright delightful kids. The boy was a terror at 3 so it was great to see. They'll eat anything and they looked after the younger kids and played with them for hours. The 2 girls (9 and 7) were instant best buds, but the 9 year old was very mothering to the 7 and 4 year olds. She basically taught the 7 year old how to swim and not be afraid of the water (she's on a swim team, as is the 12 year old boy). The 12 year old ran the 4 year old on their scooters to tire him out. It would have been far more exhausting for me without those 2 extra kids there.

FigureSpins
08-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Bravo - just count heads every few minutes to make sure you have all of them, lol.

Rob
08-22-2011, 10:55 PM
They've all gone home now -- all accounted for. Of course, I have found a gazillion toy parts in the couch, chairs, under the rug, in the refrigerator, etc.