PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Parents Do It?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Holley Calmes
08-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Holley - my grandchildren are both under 2 and I watch them every week (various days). What I did that makes it more manageable is to have one or two rooms that I have them in. Of course it means that I am also restricted to those rooms, but it makes life simpler. I know that they can only go so far, all the toys are in those 2 rooms. I have a designated floor pad to change diapers, as lifting is too much for me. I try to make their meals ahead of the day - that way they are ready to go when they become hungry and there is little to no waiting time for them to cook.
Dole and Walmart have individual squeezable applesauce packages (http://www.easylunchboxes.com/blog/gogo-squeez-squeezable-no-sugar-applesauce-healthy-snack/) - fun snack and not so messy. I plan some outdoor time, but at times need both grandparents to manage that - particularly if they want to play in the front yard. (I do have a double stroller, but when it is hot out, that is too hot to ride in.) The indoor malls generally have a play yard, but again might take 2 grandparents to manage.
I have a few more ideas if you need them.

I'm sure I will! In fact, I might keep you on emergency email during Granny Camp. Those were GREAT suggestions, and I really appreciate them. Thanks so much!

victoriajh
08-04-2011, 12:12 AM
In my experience, 9- and 12-year-olds are more apt to tease 7- and 4.5-year-olds than they are to play with them.

yup at least here in my pad that is the case!!

Hee!! I'm in awe of anyone who has more than 1 kid--that one nearly killed both me and dh!! Lot of adjustment. And I have friends with 4 and 5 kids who just take everything in stride and it just amazes me. Along with the "broken in gradually" theory already posited, I think there are some people who just have a knack for living with the craziness. Not so much here! We love our one dearly but alas, she'll be an only child.

yes you do get it gradually BUT it changes all the time!! my three (especially im summer-) keep me hopping-no rest for the wicked!!!

euterpe
08-04-2011, 12:50 AM
In my experience, 9- and 12-year-olds are more apt to tease 7- and 4.5-year-olds than they are to play with them.

skategal
08-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Three months ago today we adopted our son (9 months old at the time) from Thailand. The last three months have been a whirlwind....I'm not sure we got eased in gradually as he was on the move from day one. But he is a darling...we love him to death. :)

And yes, I have NO IDEA how parents do it who have more than one child.

Kudos to parents!! :cheer2:

skatemommy
08-04-2011, 01:31 AM
^ skategal, congrats! If he is not walking yet, you need a Johnny Jumper and a Exersaucer! Only way I could take a shower (save the travelyard) by myself. (Hubby is a pilot...)

Really
08-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Congratulations, skategal!

Yes, little ones can be a handful. That's why I won't take both granddaughters at the same time -- yet. One is just potty training, and the other hasn't started yet. I don't mind having them both here if one of the parents is also here, but not on my own! Already been there, done that! ;)

Andrushka
08-04-2011, 03:06 AM
Thanks...I have a 5&4 yr old.They are my weightloss plan LOL ;) Keeps me going 24/7.

mag
08-04-2011, 05:17 AM
Congrats skategal! When they are little it is difficult, but when they get older they have company with a sibling. I realize that doesn't always work out, especially if they are too close or too far apart in age, but mine get along well (at least until they don't :) ) Seriously, my experience, and what I have read, is if you can space them three school years apart you have a fighting chance that they will end up good buddies.

Badams
08-04-2011, 05:33 AM
I have 3 kids; 9, 5,and 2. This mom is stressed to the max and is in serious need of a vacation. Which I will never get.:lol: But just a few hours of no fighting, arguing, messes, illness, drama, exhaustion, crying...that would be nice too. I think I need to ask for a raise.;)

myhoneyhoney
08-04-2011, 05:57 AM
as a mom to kids ages 6,8,11,12 I say... THANK YOU, ROB!!! Props to YOU for watching your nieces and nephew!

BTW, I agree that sometimes it's easier to have more than one because that way, they can play together and entertain each other at least long enough so one is able to run and pee. :eek::slinkaway

Civic
08-04-2011, 07:06 AM
I admire parents too. Time with kids can be wonderful, but it also can be intense.

As one of my aunts would say, "Those little people can work you."

Sunshine Lizzie
08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
I have a 1 year old and expecting my second, they will be exactly 1,5 years apart... the fun starts in November ;-)

skategal
08-04-2011, 02:21 PM
^ skategal, congrats! If he is not walking yet, you need a Johnny Jumper and a Exersaucer! Only way I could take a shower (save the travelyard) by myself. (Hubby is a pilot...)

Thanks everyone...

Yes, we have the exersaucer. It's the only way I get to use the bathroom when he is not sleeping... :lol: I try to save the showers for when he is napping. Thank goodness for naptime. :D

quartz
08-04-2011, 03:51 PM
LOL!!! I thought this thread was going to be about asking parents how we "do IT", as in, how we find time to be, you know, like intimate......

FigureSpins
08-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I have a 1 year old and expecting my second, they will be exactly 1,5 years apart... the fun starts in November ;-)
I think parenting twins was easier than handling siblings that are close in age, but at different development stages. Get organized.

That's really how parents do it, for the most part: they're organized and they plan. Exersaucers for bathroom runs, play dates at the park to wear them down, showers during naptime.

There are some parents who are overwhelmed on a regular basis and I have sympathy for them, especially single parents who don't have a good support network.