PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the ladies Grand Prix Final?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Frau Muller
07-28-2011, 04:36 PM
My heart goes with Leonova but my brain voted Sotnikova.

I prefer Leonova's (& Tuktamysheva's) emotion and musicality but, as others have pointed out, Sotnikova is on a roll & judges love her. I don't know if others have noticed that Sotnikova 'pushes' through her programs like a zombie, much as her coach, Elena Vodorezova, used to do in her competitive days. I was just watching my DVDs of the '76 Olys and '82 and '83 Worlds last night and it struck me just how much Vodorezova has transfered her 'style' to Sotnikova...stroke-stroke-stroke and jump-jump-jump through the music with glazed eyes. (This was very much the style of Vodo's coach, Stanislav Zhuk, by the way - also for his pairs...push through and 'get the job done'.) The sad thing is that both Vodorezova & Sotnikova have/had gorgeous ballerina-like physiques, which could have lent themselves to better choreography and musicality.

Macassar88
07-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Sotnikova's Saint Saens program seems so slow and boring. I know she can do the triple lutz triple loop, but she needs to do more than that. However, I really like her Y spiral-double axel in her short program.

briancoogaert
07-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Who will be qualifyed ??? lol

krenseby
07-30-2011, 03:02 AM
t struck me just how much Vodorezova has transfered her 'style' to Sotnikova...stroke-stroke-stroke and jump-jump-jump through the music with glazed eyes.

Do you think Sotnikova would benefit from a coaching change?

Jaana
07-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I just want someone, anyone, to step it up and revive womens skating. Last year was the worst year for womens skating since 1982. Someone needs to step up and take control again, and set the bar for others.

I think the watching of skating is more exciting if there is no certain skater who is taking control.

Jammers
07-30-2011, 04:50 PM
I disagree. When you have a skater come along that rejuvenate's the sport it's usually for the best. The competition has no choice but to get better or get left behind. Mediocrity isn't good for any sport.

Jenna
07-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I think the watching of skating is more exciting if there is no certain skater who is taking control.

I agree...it sort of got boring when Kim lead the short by 13 points, faltered in the free, but still won via the SP.

judgejudy27
07-30-2011, 08:33 PM
Well if someone came up to Kim's 08-2010 level that would have been alot better than Kim, Asada, and the other leaders coming way down to Miki Ando's level or lower. Even competition is good but only if it is skating that isnt 55% the standard of a year ago, and the standard of medal winning free skating of the early 80s.

rfisher
07-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I voted for Michelle. :)

Proustable
07-30-2011, 09:22 PM
I agree...it sort of got boring when Kim lead the short by 13 points, faltered in the free, but still won via the SP.

Which happened three times in her senior career (victory via the SP).

Simone411
07-30-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm afraid for now that I agree with kwanatic:

I agree with icellist. It's always pointless to start predicting the GPF winner when the series hasn't even started yet. Skating is so unpredictable and people change from season to season. At this point, all we have to go off of is what happened last season. For that reason, I'll just give my hopes for next season's GP.

I missed Worlds and have some catching up to do. It's always been apparent, however, that predicting isn't as easy as it seems because someone that we least suspect ends up winning the GPF. At least that's the way it is for me.

With that in mind, I wish all the skaters the best. I may vote in this thread a little later since things seem so unpredictable for now. :)

modern_muslimah
07-31-2011, 02:33 AM

And I voted for Purple. :D

Ziggy
08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Do you think Sotnikova would benefit from a coaching change?

Somebody else than Tarasova doing her choreo. Luv you Tats but 'tis time to retire. :P

I disagree. When you have a skater come along that rejuvenate's the sport it's usually for the best. The competition has no choice but to get better or get left behind. Mediocrity isn't good for any sport.

We're going to have two extremely talented young skaters on the GP that the seniors are going to have to start catching up to jump-wise.

How is that mediocrity?

And there's more of them coming up in the upcoming seasons.

kwanatic
08-03-2011, 06:22 PM

:lol: Damn! Can I change my vote? :lol:

I agree that Liza T has better musicality than Adelina, but the judges are going to be looking for a skater that doesn't look like a junior and, unfortunately for Liza T, she looks like a junior. As I said, hopefully she hit a growth spurt and will make a transformation a la Polina Shelepen, who went from small and gangly to somewhat statuesque-looking in one summer. It would help her presence on the ice and her speed, height, etc. Liza T isn't as polished as Adelina appears to be...but that may (well, should) change with time.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of either of their programs yet and I have yet to see the artistry/expression glimmer for either of them. I will say that Liza T is good for playing out to the audience when she skates, but I have yet to see artistry from her...Adelina is very controlled and elegant in her movements which really made her stand out among the far less controlled and awkward juniors last season. To me, that's what really set her apart...oh, and those freakin' huge jumps!

I think Adelina is coming in as the favorite newbie, so her scores will probably be higher than the average incoming senior. Still, she does need work on her technique, spins, and overall packaging (ie. music, choreography, costume, etc.). But I have to say I prefer Adelina's style to Liza T's style...for now anyway.

pinky166
08-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Umm, maybe Christina will win the GPF? You never know, and her icenetwork bio was updated recently and though she had a big growthspurt last season, she is only now listed as 5'4" so I really don't think her height will be an issue at all. Also her FS is to "Libertango" which I'm not thrilled about cause it's overused, but I do think that music suits her so we shall see. I'd love to at least see her IN the final and think there is a definite possibly of that (the winning part I know is far fetched but her 3f-3t is her friend and could potentially get her pretty far).