PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Davison's plans

Pages : 1 [2]

Sylvia
08-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Cambridge Times article (August 4, 2011): Davison not quite ready to retire (http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports/article/1052445--davison-not-quite-ready-to-retire)

While Davison hasn’t set a firm deadline about how long he can stay out of competitive skating before he has to hand up his blades, he has a rough idea.

“I imagine if I don’t (compete) next year I’ll probably never really go,” he said.
“I’ve already kind of moved on with starting to coach and figuring out where I want to be. I have a pretty fun gig going on right now in Hamilton.”

Besides continuing the online courses at Athabasca University in Alberta, Davison earned his level I coaching certificate and has been working with young skaters in Hamilton for a month. He’s in the process of moving to Hamilton from his parents’ home in Huntsville, where he recovered from surgery.
“If something comes along in the winter and spring next year. We’ll see.”

AragornElessar
08-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the link Sylvia and the quote from it. :)

Just from watching Bryce interact w/the little ones at SC a couple of years ago, I had a feeling he'd be a great coach some day. I really hope this new direction in his skating life is a very successful one. :)

Japanfan
08-05-2011, 03:11 AM
To be honest, personally I think Jessica was the person to drag them down, although she was also the person who shone.

To me it was Bryce who shone. They both have greater posture, but IMO Bryce's stands among garden variety male pairs skaters in terms of both posture and grace.

blue_idealist
08-05-2011, 03:08 PM
To me it was Bryce who shone. They both have greater posture, but IMO Bryce's stands among garden variety male pairs skaters in terms of both posture and grace.

Yeah, to me there was nothing that thrilling about Jessica Dube.

halffull
08-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Yeah, to me there was nothing that thrilling about Jessica Dube.

ITA with both of you :) I will miss Bryce's skating but wish him all the best as a coach. Lucky little skaters in Hamilton :rollin:

shutterbug
08-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Cambridge Times article (August 4, 2011): Davison not quite ready to retire (http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/sports/article/1052445--davison-not-quite-ready-to-retire)

“I talked to a few people in the skating world that had ideas for partners and a couple of them could have been pretty good, but things just never came together. The opportunities weren’t really there for me at the point where I was in my healing.”

Hmm. So some feelers were put out. I’d be curious to know who he was interested in. South of the border perhaps? Sylvia (or anyone else who might know), is there some sort of competition registration deadline in the US system? Sept. 1st?

Here is the CHCH news video interview with Bryce and some footage of him working with the kids both on and off the ice: http://www.youtube.com/user/HamiltonSkatingClub#p/u/0/6-zR1M6-QVk. Be forewarned, it’s a bit of an OTT lurve-fest. :lol: He does utter the “r” word” however. Understandable that he might still be a little ambivalent about his plans. I usually tell my clients to hold off making any major life decisions until they’re fully recovered because they may feel quite differently once they’re able to return their normal activities. It can be hard to stay motivated and positive during a long rehab program, especially when there here isn’t a specific goal to work toward or an activity the person is anxious to get back to.

Sylvia
08-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Sylvia (or anyone else who might know), is there some sort of competition registration deadline in the US system? Sept. 1st?
Yes, any new US pair or dance team that hopes to qualify for 2012 US Nationals via one of the 3 Sectional Championships in November 2011 must register online with USFS by September 1, 2011.

shutterbug
08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes, any new US pair or dance team that hopes to qualify for 2012 US Nationals via one of the 3 Sectional Championships in November 2011 must register online with USFS by September 1, 2011.

Thanks Sylvia! That would have put the kibosh on competing for the US this season. Unfortunate. :(

stjeaskategym
08-08-2011, 12:51 AM
A September 1st deadline seems so early. A team that forms in September or October could possibly throw something together in time for November's Sectionals and be plenty competent for January's Nationals, but instead has to sit out for the whole season. Oh well. I understand that registrations cannot be made at the last minute, but Sept 1 is early. On the bright side, it encourages new teams to not rush things, I suppose.

jessiesk8r
08-08-2011, 02:31 PM
The deadline is September 1st because most entrants start their qualifying season at Regionals (in early October). For a Senior pair, they get a bye through Regionals since there are not as many competitors and begin their qualifying at Sectionals, but need to register early to "qualify" for their bye.