PDA

View Full Version : Miki Ando's future as a pro skater: can she make it?

Pages : [1] 2

krenseby
07-18-2011, 05:08 AM
While Miki Ando has been a successful amateur skater, many posters on this board think that her skating has no inherent appealing qualities that would attract an audience. However, the power to draw in the audience is what makes or breaks a pro skater. Once Miki ends her amateur career, presumably after the Sochi Olympics, will she be able to transition to a skating style that will be nuanced, sophisticated, lively, and perhaps even entertaining? What kind of choreography would bring out her personal style and help her skate with more confidence and pizzazz?

As a side question, what skaters who weren't all that interesting to watch as amateurs managed to become compelling and attractive as professionals?

olifaunt
07-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Miki brought me to tears with her Requiem exhibition at worlds. I'm sure she'll be fine.

ryanbfan
07-18-2011, 06:09 AM
I think Miki Ando is so pretty. OT I know. I loved her with the short bob in Vancouver.

I really want to like Miki's skating. But I find it so hard because it's so bland.

The Fly On The Wall
07-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Just as long as she doesn't go the Lu Chen "Peel Me A Grape" route...:scream::dog:

krenseby
07-18-2011, 06:24 AM
Just as long as she doesn't go the Lu Chen "Peel Me A Grape" route...:scream::dog:

I haven't seen this but you've got me interested. Thank you ;-)

JerseySlore
07-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Is that the horrendous hip hop routine of hers by any chance?

floskate
07-18-2011, 09:42 AM
As long as the Japanese enthusiasm stays strong for figure skating and she keeps her skills up why on earth not? Her exhibitions have always been better than her competitive programs anyway!

Jenny81
07-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Her exhibitions have always been better than her competitive programs anyway!

Nikolai : "Usually her exhibition I make in one or two weeks and her free program I make in two or three days." :lol::lol::lol:

IceIceBaby
07-18-2011, 11:17 AM
I think most of the spectators in the shows have no idea who the skaters are. If someone is a world champion that's enough for them.

Marco
07-18-2011, 11:43 AM
I think most of the spectators in the shows have no idea who the skaters are. If someone is a world champion that's enough for them.

She is a 2 time World Champion and the first lady to do something (land a quad), so she should have :respec:

Marco
07-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Her exhibitions have always been better than her competitive programs anyway!

True, plus she is usually more engaging in galas and shows (probably because she is less focused on the tricks?).

judgejudy27
07-18-2011, 11:58 AM
If she is wise she will turn pro now and not go to Sochi, which is possible since she isnt even doing the GP this season. Her marketability as a pro skater is alot higher as the reigning world Champion then it would be after finishing 7th or lower in Sochi.

nylynnr
07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Nikolai : "Usually her exhibition I make in one or two weeks and her free program I make in two or three days."

I think maybe this quote is a bit (not entirely) out of context. Mr. Morozov was speaking of how easy it was to choreograph to classical music and how he didn't want to take any chances with Miki by giving her contemporary music. Obviously this thinking has worked as Miki has won two world titles. Just to add context, here is where the quote came from:

You're choreographing for so many different skaters, in all of the disciplines.

I really study the [International Judging System] rules. I just adjust everything for the rules. I look at a skater, think about what he can do well, what kind of good things he has, and start from there.

I also really want the audience to have fun, because it's hard to listen to the same music every year. I want to go a new way, because in the audience we don't see so many young people. We need new music, new styles; honestly, to make a program with any classical piece of music is so easy. You can do it in five minutes, especially if you have a good skater.

Miki won worlds using classical music.

I'm pushing her more in her exhibition [programs]. I don't want to try anything new with Miki because there is no point; if she does her jumps, she will win anyway. Usually her exhibition I make in one or two weeks and her free program I make in two or three days.

Of course his turn of phrase was a bit colorful, therefore, it has understandably taken on a (minor) life of its own. Back on topic, I do think the above thoughts from Mr. Morozov augur well for Miki's pro career.

kwanatic
07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Miki has been a mainstay and a reliable anchor in Japanese figure skating for the past several years. With two world titles and a decent placement at the Olympics, I'm pretty sure she's built up enough status to strike out on the show circuit and do well. Especially with Japan being as into skating as they are right now, if she wanted to give up her amateur status today, I think she'd be fine. Miki is very popular in Japan, so from her country alone she'd do fine. Figure skating isn't a big deal in the US right now, but her country loves her and so do the Russians...

I'm sure once she gives up competing she'll head that route. Has she ever expressed interest in school or other professions?

TheIronLady
07-18-2011, 06:14 PM
She will do very well as an exhibition skater. All the money to be made in skating is in Japan, so why shouldn't she be popular? The Japanese skating public has enthusiastically embraced CoP skating. In contrast, North American ticket buyers have dropped like flies. Is the question: "Will she be satisfying to watch?"

This question is a subjective one, and it doesn't matter because people in Asia and elsewhere will clamour for her skating regardless. She is Japanese and very pretty.