PDA

View Full Version : Miki Ando's future as a pro skater: can she make it?

Pages : 1 [2]

orbitz
07-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't most Japanese skating stars sign on with the Ice Prince show over in Japan ? Miki might not get an SOI gig, but I'm sure she'll have no problem skating several years for the Ice Prince people if that's what she wants.

skatesindreams
07-18-2011, 10:52 PM
As long as the Japanese enthusiasm stays strong for figure skating and she keeps her skills up why on earth not? Her exhibitions have always been better than her competitive programs anyway!

^^^
This!
I doubt that she'll ever lack for professional opportunities.

viennese
07-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Just as long as she doesn't go the Lu Chen "Peel Me A Grape" route...:scream::dog:

Um. Yeah. That's a bit difficult for anyone to carry off.

Susan M
07-19-2011, 06:23 AM
She will make it in Japan because their audiences seem ready to embrace any Japanese skating champion (as well as the more appealing non-Japanese skaters).

IMG/SOI will perhaps continue to try to ram her down our collective throat for a while, but she will never be popular in the US because she is, let's be honest, and thoroughly pedestrian and dull skater with zero performance qualities.

ponta1
07-19-2011, 07:26 AM
She will make it in Japan because their audiences seem ready to embrace any Japanese skating champion (as well as the more appealing non-Japanese skaters).

IMG/SOI will perhaps continue to try to ram her down our collective throat for a while, but she will never be popular in the US because she is, let's be honest, and thoroughly pedestrian and dull skater with zero performance qualities.

What a mean and rude thing to say! She may be a "thoroughly pedestrian and dull skater with zero performance qualities" to you, but SHE IS a two-time world champion.

TheIronLady
07-19-2011, 07:29 AM
What a mean and rude thing to say! She may be a "thoroughly pedestrian and dull skater with zero performance qualities" to you, but SHE IS a two-time world champion.

Outside of the ISU there is freedom of speech. That poster was just giving her opinion.

I think she is pretty and an excellent jumper, but her retirement to Japanese ice shows would be good for the sport. She does not advance the sport stylistically or otherwise. She was a great athlete who made an important mark from 2003-2007. Now would be the time to go out on top. It is important to leave when someone still wants you there.

RumbleFish
07-19-2011, 07:38 AM

She might make a decent living off of it in Japan, but I doubt she will be a huge success there either.

For last several years, figure skating in Japan has been all about Mao Asada for whatever the reason. Even when Arakawa won OGM, she was overshadowed by Asada and IMO, Ando isn't going to fare much better.
Chances are, Ando will likely have a less of a pro career than Arakawa, who has an OGM as well as a world title.

judgejudy27
07-19-2011, 01:51 PM

So are Trixi Schuba and Annett Poetzsch, and they are Olympic Champions too. Ando as a skater fits into their category, except they were amazing at figures.

MikiAndoFan#1
07-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Ando as a skater fits into their category, except they were amazing at figures.

I bet they couldn't do this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRyrbl9awqI&feature=player_detailpage#t=2s). :P

aliceanne
07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Miki Ando's future as a pro skater: can she make it?

I think she already has.

a56
07-19-2011, 09:56 PM
She might make a decent living off of it in Japan, but I doubt she will be a huge success there either.
I think she'll be popular in her home country, but I don't think she'll be enormously popular overseas in the U.S., Canada, or Europe.