PDA

View Full Version : Dube and Wolfe?? Comments??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

pair mom
09-30-2011, 03:51 AM
Actually Bryce had good lift technique by the time he paired up with Dube. He learned it from his former coach Kevin Wheeler (also Ian Beharry's former coach). Kevin Wheeler himself was coached by Kerry Leitch who was a great lifting coach.

Davison also had supplementary coaching by David Pelletier. I'd credit Wheeler and Pelletier with Bryce's lift technique - not Barabe.

Completely agree with this ^. And Seb Wolfe is easily 6 ft. tall, and Bryce is not. Please give him/them a chance people...great pairs can take years to develop...and he is still very young...but he has amazing singles skills and that's a great place to start building a terrific pair guy!

4rkidz
09-30-2011, 03:56 AM
Completely agree with this ^. And Seb Wolfe is easily 6 ft. tall, and Bryce is not. Please give him/them a chance people...great pairs can take years to develop...and he is still very young...but he has amazing singles skills and that's a great place to start building a terrific pair guy!

very true and let's not forget when Bryce started the former relationship with Jessica he wasn't at her level, his lifts although improved he was still unsteady over the ice in the beginning and his spins :yikes: and spirals:yikes: but quite quickly he became excellent on the pair lifts - infact within a fairly short amount of time became the superior pair.. I really hope the same happens with Wolfe as he has all the tools..

ltnskater
09-30-2011, 04:06 AM
When Dube and Davison were still partners, I always felt that Bryce was the star in the couple. He hold wonderful lines, edges, posture, and ease into most elements except for the twist and lifts. Dube didn't really have his musicality either, she was just a very technically sound partner in my opinion.

All this talk makes me hope that Bryce skate in pairs again with Caitlin Yankowskas. They'll represent whichever organization would fund them more :D

Yes, she was very good at all the pair elements, yet she could never land a triple sal :( :P

Anyways, seriously speaking, I think the pair has potential, lifts are a work in progress, but I have heard that many of the other teams are also having trouble with the lifts this season, because they changed some of the rules? (Not too clear on the rule changes though).

Also think it's a good starting point for their 1st season so far, they finally have gotten the sbs triple flip (strangely enough it has been Sebastien who has been missing it by doubling in past competitions), but it seems to be a smarter choice than the triple sal which Jess frequently has problems with.

barbk
09-30-2011, 04:26 AM
Pairs women are either incredibly courageous or terribly foolhardy. I'm glad I'm not Dube's mom.

I don't buy the "lifts are more difficult this year" argument for this failure. First, the fail was not on a new aspect of a lift. Second, if the pair is having trouble with basic lifts, I would hope a coach would nix any attempt to put a more complex version into a competition routine until they're rock solid and steady on the simpler versions. Getting higher levels isn't supposed to be an invitation to risk your neck, or at least it is an invitation you're supposed to decline.

shutterbug
09-30-2011, 05:12 AM
Wolfe is 6’1” according to the media guide from last season’s Canadians.

Some thoughts from David Pelletier on learning to lift a new partner: Bonhomme, Pelletier ready for 'Battle' (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110928&content_id=25336426&vkey=ice_news&tcid=fb_share)

At 5'7", Bonhomme is six inches taller than Salé, but Pelletier says that doesn't pose a problem for him.

"As far as the lifting goes, I've lifted a lot of people. I've lifted guys. I remember doing something with Alexei Yagudin (a castmate on Smucker's Stars on Ice for four years) a couple of times." Pelletier said. "It's really not about the weight. Most of it is technique. I've got the technique down. I just have to teach her that.

"It's very scary to be up there," he continued. "I give her credit for that.... Because she's such a great athlete, she's got this body awareness that only athletes have. If I tell her to fix something with her leg, she knows what I'm talking about. She's got this muscle awareness."

Actually Bryce had good lift technique by the time he paired up with Dube. He learned it from his former coach Kevin Wheeler (also Ian Beharry's former coach). Kevin Wheeler himself was coached by Kerry Leitch who was a great lifting coach.

Davison also had supplementary coaching by David Pelletier. I'd credit Wheeler and Pelletier with Bryce's lift technique - not Barabe.

Kevin Wheeler does wonderful work. Ian’s partnering style reminds me so much of Bryce’s – steady feet and soft, confident hands. Les Wirtz are lucky to have him. He and Katie already have very secure lifts and a gorgeous 3twist. Good technique pays off every time.

very true and let's not forget when Bryce started the former relationship with Jessica he wasn't at her level, his lifts although improved he was still unsteady over the ice in the beginning and his spins :yikes: and spirals:yikes: but quite quickly he became excellent on the pair lifts - infact within a fairly short amount of time became the superior pair.. I really hope the same happens with Wolfe as he has all the tools..

While ITA that many of Bryce’s skills improved while skating with Jessica, he was always solid in the lifts, except for the one season when they were adjusting to her new size after she hit puberty. And an interesting season THAT was. :lol: But I don’t think you can compare the development of a team that started skating together at 15 & 17 to a team that started skating together as adults. Apples and oranges really.

mapleleaf
09-30-2011, 05:39 AM
There is NO way Sebastien is taller than Bryce judging from the video. People do lie about their height from time to time.:confused:

Pratfall
09-30-2011, 06:34 AM
I'm just sending thought waves..( go to Gauthier..go to Gauthier..):P

Sylvia
09-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Dube/Wolfe's Nebelhorn FS (7th place, 6th overall): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNuc5xQY9A

Rafter
09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
very true and let's not forget when Bryce started the former relationship with Jessica he wasn't at her level, his lifts although improved he was still unsteady over the ice in the beginning and his spins :yikes: and spirals:yikes: but quite quickly he became excellent on the pair lifts

Well I disagree. Bryce was always very solid on the lifts and a very solid partner overall. Here's a vid of them from about 10 months after they started skating together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHj8KGI59lQ

Lifting has never been a problem for him.

Rafter
09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
There is NO way Sebastien is taller than Bryce judging from the video. People do lie about their height from time to time.:confused:

Here is their LP. He looks a good 2-3 inches taller than Davison to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNuc5xQY9A

Two of the three lifts worked in the LP. It might be a timing issue for them because they are still new together. I didn't realize Wolfe was only 21 years old. That's young for a pair guy. He has a lot of potential.

mag
09-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Yes, she was very good at all the pair elements, yet she could never land a triple sal :( :P.

I suppose you could also look at it as triple sal was the ONLY triple Davison COULD land. Why Dube and Davison never went for the triple flip is beyond me. At least then we might be moaning about how Davison could never land the side by side triple ;)

Morelli
09-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I am sure these 2 will get better as a partnership, but I don't see her connecting with him like she appeared to with Bryce in the first years I saw them on the world scene. Leaving the elements out of it, for me they look like 2 individuals rather than a partnership in the FD video.

robinhood
09-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Dube/Wolfe's Nebelhorn FS (7th place, 6th overall): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKNuc5xQY9A

thanks for the link, Sylvia!:)

One thing I will say is that this is a very handsome couple:cool: they look very good together, and their lines match very well. I far prefer them over the other top canadian couples MT/M and D/R

On the other hand, the music they chose and the choreography of that program are a definite cure for insomnia:o. Why they chose that snoozeworthy program i don't know, but I notice it's common from the canadian couples in the recent past, like D/B, L/H etc. to choose really dreadful music. Maybe somebody gives them money to perform that music:cold:

He needs a lot of help in the lifts. all of them looked very iffy to me and I suppose there must be an extensive off-ice training regime all around the corner:kickass:

I think this couple needs time to develop. they're not vol/tran but I see tons of potential there:)

reese
09-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I kinda like the Philip Glass LP...

Looks like lifts are going to be a huge problem for them. They don't even look novice-level right now, honestly...

casken
09-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I actually *really* like the music. It's what kept me watching all the way through. It's way more interesting than the usual pretty romantic "snot" (Trankovtm) we see in pairs.