PDA

View Full Version : Dube and Wolfe?? Comments??

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

flowerpower
07-20-2011, 03:36 AM
Here, Jessica is not skating like she has a World medal, and their elements are terribly simplistic. The first lift is something very simple. Things like the death spiral slip I don't understand, and what is falling out of a double axel -- a jump she has done for years. These are things that have nothing to do with new partnerships.

This is their first competition. They are thinking through every element, trying to get their timing right together, and learning how each reacts in competition, both off the ice and as the program unfolds. Throw triple loop, throw triple lutz (and a successful triple flip by Jessica!) are hardly simple elements.

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised by your comments, since you joined this forum in March when D&D split, and every one of your 4 posts so far has been to dump on Jessica. :rolleyes:

Sylvia
07-20-2011, 03:47 AM
For what it's worth, I did get a chance to watch the last part of a Dubé/Wolfe practice session at Liberty and they looked like they were enjoying themselves on the ice.

Ziggy
07-20-2011, 05:42 AM
The problem is, Jessica skates with no energy. Zero. She is extremely one-dimensional as a skater. She never shows any passion or artistic flare. I think Camerlengo tried to get some passion out of her with that Requiem For a Dream SP they had in the Olympic year but Jessica failed pretty badly at it.

Someone pointed out to me that she's not very musical either. She just skates through the music. Her musical range is really limited IMO.

Bingo.

Duhamel/Radford and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch also have their share of weaknesses (basics mostly) but at least they really attack their programs and you can see a real drive and flair in their skating.

victoriajh
07-20-2011, 06:52 AM
I don't know if Jessica even likes skating. You certainly wouldn't guess that she does watching her.
this- having seen her several times backstage and at competeitions I just dont ever see her happy while skating or off the ice- i hope that this partnership is what she is looking for- but i wonder why she is still skating- maybe she does not have anything else to focus on yet?

Bingo.

Duhamel/Radford and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch also have their share of weaknesses (basics mostly) but at least they really attack their programs and you can see a real drive and flair in their skating.

yes this this this= d/r have fight in them and she alwsy looks ready for battle! and MT is one feisty thang as well- whil they migth not be as refined as other teams they can develop that as they have shown they have the material to work with- i actually prefer d/r as they just seem to have that spark and interest that holds me but mt-m are deff a team to take us into the next olympics!

Japanfan
07-20-2011, 07:35 AM
I can't say I'm holding my breath for D&W to become the next great Canadian pair. Very few male skaters compare to Bryce IMO, including Wolfe - he actually reminded me a bit of Eric Radford and I thought the size difference between D&W was less than ideal (too much of a difference).

I certainly do wish them all the best. D/R and M/MT are decent Canadian pairs and D/W should at least make the competition for the podium interesting. But I expect no more than that. Though, I would be happy to be wrong.

FarFarAway
07-20-2011, 07:43 AM
I'm just saying pairings shouldnt' be written off right away. It takes time.
Surely. At least there will be more of a competition now in the Canadian team.

This is their first competition. They are thinking through every element, trying to get their timing right together, and learning how each reacts in competition, both off the ice and as the program unfolds. Throw triple loop, throw triple lutz (and a successful triple flip by Jessica!) are hardly simple elements.

Well, last season Katarina Gerboldt and Alexander Enbert were also a new pair, but this fact didn't prevent them from showing a lot of energy and emotions. They still have a lot to work on, but they are livelier and more energetic than D/W, they were even in the first months of skating together.

manhn
07-20-2011, 07:57 AM
OMG, Jessica Dube SUCKS!!!!

professordeb
07-20-2011, 02:13 PM
OMG, Jessica Dube SUCKS!!!!

Come on manhn - tell us how you REALLY feel :lol: ;)

Andora
07-21-2011, 01:53 AM
I expected them to be worse as a pair, but at the same time I expected Jessica to look alive, and agree with general consensus.

But the first time I saw Sale & Pelletier, I thought they were VERY meh, so I can't rely on early indications for teams. I also thought Duhamel & Buntin would have been much better than they wound up being.

geoskate
07-21-2011, 06:34 AM
But the first time I saw Sale & Pelletier, I thought they were VERY meh,

I certainly didn't. (They were skating in Kamloops, BC, at Skate Canada). I thought they were amazing for a new team. I distinctly remember Barb Underhill saying they had what it took to reach the very top. To quote her, " When I heard they were getting together, I expected them to be good, but I didn't expect them to be THIS good."

That was a different situation, though, since both skaters were already experienced pairs skaters, unlike the Dube/Wolfe situation.

kwanfan1818
07-21-2011, 08:32 AM
I think the world medal was more luck for standing up better in that particular time frame than other top couples (other top couples who soundly kicked D/D's butts pretty much from that time on), and 95% of the time it was Mukhortova, not Trankov, who was the "head case" in competitions....

Head case as in miserable with skating with his partner and hating his training conditions.

Although he was a headcase in competition in Vancouver.

laceup
07-21-2011, 01:55 PM
That was a different situation, though, since both skaters were already experienced pairs skaters, unlike the Dube/Wolfe situation.

Well I know Wolfe is new to senior and has no where near the experience of Dube but he's a 2 time Jr National silver medalist and did novice the year before that so he does have some experience. I find him lacking in technique. Hopefully Zimmerman can help that ... lord knows Annie and her camp won't.

kwanfan1818
07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
I find him lacking in technique. Hopefully Zimmerman can help that ... lord knows Annie and her camp won't.
He was the pairs skater who struck me most at Canadian Nationals this year -- sadly his partner couldn't land her jumps -- and I thought he was quite skilled.

Far too true about their coach.

frisette70
07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
On a positive note,:D they seem to have great speed(maybe better than with Davison) and it's nice to see Jessica landing the triple flip and both throw jump!! :)

geoskate
07-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Personally I think the situation is more like that of Cody Hay and Annabelle Langlois. She was experienced in senior. He had reasonable experience, but at a lower level and with less skilled partners. It took them about a year to get to matching levels, but it did eventually work out.