PDA

View Full Version : Dube and Wolfe?? Comments??

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

FarFarAway
07-19-2011, 12:23 PM
But all Jessica Dube can do is look either very uninterested or as if she's about to faint. :P

She is very concentrated, probably?:rolleyes:

Blair
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm of two minds on D/W. On the one hand they clearly show great potential with their skills. They could very conceivably develop into a fine and elegant pair that challenge internatioanlly once they gel together.

On the other hand, with dometic competition like Duhamel/Radford, MT/M and even Lawrence/Sweigers they have a huge curve to catch up to. All these teams are VERY hungry and set to prove themselves, especially D/R. I'm not sure D/W are nearly as hungry as the others.

In fact, I think D/R are so focussed and determined at this point, that if their development arc continues they could be crowding the world podium.

Rafter
07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
If it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would love to see them try something jazzy and upbeat. [/b]Something with some energy[/b] and playing a bit to the audience.

The problem is, Jessica skates with no energy. Zero. She is extremely one-dimensional as a skater. She never shows any passion or artistic flare. I think Camerlengo tried to get some passion out of her with that Requiem For a Dream SP they had in the Olympic year but Jessica failed pretty badly at it.

Someone pointed out to me that she's not very musical either. She just skates through the music. Her musical range is really limited IMO.

Jenny
07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
The problem is, Jessica skates with no energy. Zero. She extremely one-dimensional as a skater. She never shows any passion or artistic flare. I think Camerlengo tried to get some passion out of her with that Requiem For a Dream SP they had in the Olympic year but Jessica failed pretty badly at it.

Someone pointed out to me that she's not very musical either. She just skates through the music. Her musical range is really limited IMO.

ITA with this. When she first came on the scene she was so lovely, and I think we all thought she could be one of the greats. Turns out that was largely a result of Wilson's choreography, someone's smart music choices, and good costuming. Over the years, one began to see that what we saw in the beginning was all we were ever going to see, and even that became rather hollow.

I wonder if a different coach might have been able to bring out more personality and flair? Team Annie strikes me as so coddling and protective of their skaters that I wonder if they slot them into a box too much, and aren't open to fresh ideas?

flowerpower
07-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Annie didn't seem to push them (their elements rarely changed, they stuck to one approach musically). Unfortunate.

In the early days, Jessica sparkled. It would be wonderful if she could get that energy and zest back.

Erin
07-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I hate to dump all over Dube, but I'll add a "me too" about the lack of energy and passion in her skating. She has nice lines and positions, but that's all. The Phillip Glass music probably doesn't help in this particular program, but even where she has skated to dynamic music (Requiem For a Dream, that Galicia Flamenco SP from a few years ago, even Carmen), she's very flat. I agree with Jenny, it's especially sad considering the potential she showed at first.

Kasey
07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Dube had a world medal with her former partner before either Trankov or Volosozhar did, and even though she sounds like as big a head case as Trankov was before being coached by Moser and Morosov

I think the world medal was more luck for standing up better in that particular time frame than other top couples (other top couples who soundly kicked D/D's butts pretty much from that time on), and 95% of the time it was Mukhortova, not Trankov, who was the "head case" in competitions....

FarFarAway
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I think the world medal was more luck for standing up better in that particular time frame than other top couples (other top couples who soundly kicked D/D's butts pretty much from that time on), and 95% of the time it was Mukhortova, not Trankov, who was the "head case" in competitions....

Yeah, definitely Maria was. I wonder how I missed this.

lavenderblue
07-19-2011, 11:58 PM
The Liberty site (http://www.libertyskating.org/Results.php) has posted detailed protocol from the events. It's interesting to compare the breakdown in scores for each of the three teams (though I do hope video of C/S's skate will turn up sooner or later).

bek
07-20-2011, 12:28 AM
There really were people saying this?:eek:
D/W definitely need more time anyway, regardless of everything that was said here, just because they have teamed up not so long ago, but I don't think it is really worth comparing D/W and V/T.

I wasn't saying at all that D/W are the next V/T. I was just pointing out that people were early on calling the best new team we've seen since S/S a disappointment when they weren't looking like world beaters after 2 months of being paired.

While Dube has a world medal (and no I don't think she's as good as Tatiana) Wolfe isn't any where near as experienced a partner as Trankov is. So to expect them to be super wonderful right away is a bit ridiculous too. In someways they should have more time together to wait and see.

I'm just saying pairings shouldnt' be written off right away. It takes time.

flowerpower
07-20-2011, 12:40 AM
^
ITA.

Sylvia
07-20-2011, 01:52 AM
The Liberty site (http://www.libertyskating.org/Results.php) has posted detailed protocol from the events.
Liberty doesn't publish the detailed protocols online, just the TES/PCS scores and the averages of the 5 PCS categories (which is what you meant to say, I'm sure).

lavenderblue
07-20-2011, 02:03 AM
Liberty doesn't publish the detailed protocols online, just the TES/PCS scores and the averages of the 5 PCS categories (which is what you meant to say, I'm sure).

Yes, it is. I've spent a week involved in road travel and plans for moving, my brain may be slightly fried.

Subway
07-20-2011, 02:43 AM
[QUOTE=bek;3240146]I wasn't saying at all that D/W are the next V/T. I was just pointing out that people were early on calling the best new team we've seen since S/S a disappointment when they weren't looking like world beaters after 2 months of being paired. I do not remember V/T being called a disappointment at all. There was much excitement over the gigantic 3 twist and the unison in the sbs spins, and so much happiness that Tatiana would get a chance to show her stuff. Yes, people understood they were in development but disappointment was far from the reaction to the first viewing if we are remembering what the reaction was in general. Much excitement and anticipation of a long career.

Here, Jessica is not skating like she has a World medal, and their elements are terribly simplistic. The first lift is something very simple. Things like the death spiral slip I don't understand, and what is falling out of a double axel -- a jump she has done for years. These are things that have nothing to do with new partnerships.

reese
07-20-2011, 03:31 AM
I don't know if Jessica even likes skating. You certainly wouldn't guess that she does watching her.