PDA

View Full Version : Dube and Wolfe?? Comments??

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

flowerpower
07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Prior to Liberty, Sebastien had competed in exactly 6 pair events, all in Canada, and all at the junior level.

No, he has competed in more events than that. He competed in novice pairs with Justine Gosselin for a year, then spent two years as a junior with Tara Hancherow.

Absolutely, he needs more experience, but I see no reason to be negative at this point. He has very strong skating skills, is a good singles skater, and since he wants to continue his pairs career I'm glad that he has this opportunity.

Rome wasn't built in a day. :D

kwanfan1818
07-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Her posture and air position in the first lift was :swoon: and it looked like they had nice speed and good ice coverage.

He looked like he was tiring towards the end, which isn't surprising in a new partnership, when he's learning to pace with her.

orbitz
07-18-2011, 06:59 PM

No, but there was no internet, twitter, or utube back then either, so people couldn't criticize that it wasn't built in a day :lol:.

I thought the lifts looked scary, ie I was afraid he was going to trip on his skates and drop her, but like everyone said, they're a new pair and it's very early in the season.

Catherine M
07-18-2011, 07:30 PM
For me its too early to say what kind of long-term potential Dube & Wolfe have, especially with him being new to senior pairs.

I'm going to Montreal next month and hope to see them skate at Quebec Summer Skate if my schedule works out so I'll have more an idea then what I really think.

PRlady
07-18-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry but my reaction at Liberty was :yawn:

Jessica has the technique and she's certainly a quality skater. But there was no chemistry there and no magic in the program, it was snoozeworthy like most latter-day D/D stuff.

haribobo
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
I think maybe I was just in the right mood for what they had to offer, cause I was not at all bored, although part of that could just be that I was intrigued by them and just excited to see how she'd do with someone new- but they did skate 1st and Donlan/Speroff came next and as nice as Dube/Wolfe were, D/S program was a thousand times better. Then CastShnaps skates and rocked my world too. But I can't say I didn't enjoy them...but who knows, maybe I will see them on tv and think they are a total snooze- wouldn't be the first time that happened!

shutterbug
07-18-2011, 10:14 PM
No, he has competed in more events than that. He competed in novice pairs with Justine Gosselin for a year, then spent two years as a junior with Tara Hancherow.

Absolutely, he needs more experience, but I see no reason to be negative at this point. He has very strong skating skills, is a good singles skater, and since he wants to continue his pairs career I'm glad that he has this opportunity.

I stand corrected. So itís 8 or 10 competitions instead of 6. Still pretty inexperienced. I like Sebís skating and think he has the potential to be a nice pair skater down the road. But he needs to be allowed to develop according to a schedule thatís appropriate for him. Iím not entirely confident this will happen.

bek
07-18-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm sorry but my reaction at Liberty was :yawn:

Jessica has the technique and she's certainly a quality skater. But there was no chemistry there and no magic in the program, it was snoozeworthy like most latter-day D/D stuff.

I remember people calling V/T a disappointment when they saw the first clips with them. (Now obviously Wolfe isn't nearly as experienced as Trankov) But I think they DO need a bit of time before we can judge them. I'd think they first need to get comfortable with each other, and then we will see about chemistry.

clarie
07-19-2011, 03:49 AM
It all looked pretty ok to me for a new team. Give them time to gel. It just makes pairs more interesting here in Canada. I hope they do well and I wish them all the best.

mag
07-19-2011, 05:04 AM
If it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would love to see them try something jazzy and upbeat. Something with some energy and playing a bit to the audience. I would even be okay with the odd "oh" face if it meant there was some animation.

I don't know enough about pairs to judge, but stylistically it looked a lot like D&D with a triple flip and no Bryce. Did Sebastian actually land a triple or did he double it - I can't tell from the video.

I do wish them the best. I'm sure they just need more time together. Hopefully, like other have mentioned, there isn't too much pressure put on Sebastian.

MR-FAN
07-19-2011, 05:13 AM
For a partnership that's a few months old, not that bad at all. They were never gonna be V/T, but they could be on their way to challenge for top 2 at Canadians and earn a spot at worlds. Will be interested to see how they do at the Quebec summer competition in a few weeks.

FarFarAway
07-19-2011, 06:46 AM
I remember people calling V/T a disappointment when they saw the first clips with them.
There really were people saying this?:eek:
D/W definitely need more time anyway, regardless of everything that was said here, just because they have teamed up not so long ago, but I don't think it is really worth comparing D/W and V/T.

kwanfan1818
07-19-2011, 07:46 AM
There really were people saying this?:eek:
D/W definitely need more time anyway, regardless of everything that was said here, just because they have teamed up not so long ago, but I don't think it is really worth comparing D/W and V/T.

Dube had a world medal with her former partner before either Trankov or Volosozhar did, and even though she sounds like as big a head case as Trankov was before being coached by Moser and Morosov, she doesn't look as dire skating with Wolfe as she did for the last few years with Davison. Both Dube and Wolfe have excellent skating skills, but it's too soon for that to show, since they were relatively tentative.

When the first video of V/T came out, there were comments about how slow they looked and how simple their program was, which isn't surprising, given how short a time they had been skating together, not to mention the plan for them to not rush it all but to get the elements down one-by-one before they got fancy.

FarFarAway
07-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Dube had a world medal with her former partner before either Trankov or Volosozhar did, and even though she sounds like as big a head case as Trankov was before being coached by Moser and Morosov, she doesn't look as dire skating with Wolfe as she did for the last few years with Davison. Both Dube and Wolfe have excellent skating skills, but it's too soon for that to show, since they were relatively tentative.

When the first video of V/T came out, there were comments about how slow they looked and how simple their program was, which isn't surprising, given how short a time they had been skating together, not to mention the plan for them to not rush it all but to get the elements down one-by-one before they got fancy.

While I agree with the fact that it is too early to judge D/W and analyse their skating, but still I think that D/D lacked some stability and I am very much afraid this will happen here, although, of course, I hope for the best. I saw V/T at some Russian competitions, and even though they had been skating at the time just for some months - there were more emotions and energy than in D/W case.

In D/W skating I didn't see any emotions at all, the lifts were not very, well, stable and the death spiral was really surprising.

But, again, I agree with you on the point that they need more time.

Ziggy
07-19-2011, 11:46 AM
If it were up to me (which of course it isn't) I would love to see them try something jazzy and upbeat. Something with some energy and playing a bit to the audience. I would even be okay with the odd "oh" face if it meant there was some animation.

But all Jessica Dube can do is look either very uninterested or as if she's about to faint. :P