PDA

View Full Version : Lady Gaga Egged

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Dr.Siouxs
07-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Although you can't argue that lawsuits were filed against Madonna (and I don't deny that Madonna hasn't borrowed from other artists because most artists tend to do that), the woman who runs that website is freakin' nuts.

It was intended as a joke. :lol:

marbri
07-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Blondie, Marilyn Monroe, 50's/60's girl groups, Kate Bush....and here's (http://www.aishamusic.com/lawsuit_many_artists_madonna_stole_from.htm)a list of her copyright infringement suits to date :lol:

Honestly though, re: the gaga "issue", I went through high school during the "boy band" era where the ghastly musical acts of Jessica Simpson, J-Lo, and early Britney filled the airwaves. :saint: I wouldn't call her God's gift to music but I'd take Gaga over the aforementioned anyday :lol:

How do you figure Madonna took from Kate Bush?? I've never bought the Blondie comparison, musically I felt they were nothing alike, but I've heard that one before. But Kate Bush?? I ask as someone who a huge Kate Bush fan in the 80's who can't for the life of me recall anything those two women had in common.

Madonna and all those other movie stars from that generation is a given, even Madonna wouldn't deny her style was inspired by them throughout her career.

VIETgrlTerifa
07-20-2011, 05:37 AM
It was intended as a joke. :lol:

Whoops...:lol:

Cyn
07-20-2011, 05:49 AM
It happens all the time.

I will never forget when Marilyn Manson hit it big and tweens/teens started going nuts and gushing about how cool and original he was for being so shocking. My first thought was that Alice Cooper must have been laughing his ass off at that one :rofl: (and shame on those parents for not properly educating their offspring about rock music history :drama: :fragile: :P ).

manhn
07-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Why does a Jonas Brother get more sympathy than Lady Gaga? Surely, it was a hipster who threw that egg. Or, do hipsters not exist in Australia?

PeterG
07-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Have you taken a new job as PeterG's publicist? ;)

No...it's just that some are aware that I am FSU's fragile flower and must be protected at all costs.

:battingmyeyes:

allezfred
07-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Madonna and all those other movie stars from that generation is a given, even Madonna wouldn't deny her style was inspired by them throughout her career.

Greta Garbo and Monroe. Dietrich and DiMaggio. Marlon Brando, Jimmy Dean. On the cover of a magazine. Grace Kelly, Harlow, Jean. Picture of a beauty queen. Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. Dance on air. They had style, they had grace. Rita Hayworth gave good face. Lauren, Katherine, Lana too. Bette Davis, we love you.

marbri
07-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Greta Garbo and Monroe. Dietrich and DiMaggio. Marlon Brando, Jimmy Dean. On the cover of a magazine. Grace Kelly, Harlow, Jean. Picture of a beauty queen. Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers. Dance on air. They had style, they had grace. Rita Hayworth gave good face. Lauren, Katherine, Lana too. Bette Davis, we love you.

Exactly ;)

Now help me out with the Kate Bush comparison because I don't see it.

allezfred
07-20-2011, 03:03 PM

Well, I'll give it a stab.

http://www.alwaysontherun.net/kate1.jpg

http://www.bloodsprayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/kate_bush_bat-wings.jpg

antmanb
07-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Exactly ;)

I don't get the Kate Bush comparison either, but the one person I didn't see on the previous list that i would put at number one is Cyndi Lauper.

marbri
07-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Well, I'll give it a stab.

http://www.alwaysontherun.net/kate1.jpg

http://www.bloodsprayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/kate_bush_bat-wings.jpg

Meh but thanks for trying :D;)

I don't get the Kate Bush comparison either, but the one person I didn't see on the previous list that i would put at number one is Cyndi Lauper.

Madonna and Cyndi both released their debut album the same year, Madonna's coming out some months before Cyndi.

olympic
07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Whom was Madonna accused of ripping off?

Her pre-fame days - HEAVILY borrowed from Debbie Harry / Blondie

Her grab-bag style and 'Minnie Mouse on helium vocals' from Borderline and Lucky Star - Cyndi Lauper.

Opening chords of Like a Virgin - Michael Jackson's Billie Jean

Material Girl - well, borrowed everything from Marilyn Monroe's performance in 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'

Her whole True Blue look - Marilyn Monroe, down to the mole

Express Yourself - The video really borrows heavily from German film in the 1920s and Marlene Dietrich / Madonna herself said the music is a tribute to Sly and the Family Stone. [I think it's funny that Gaga is accused of ripping her off here, when Express Yourself is not exactly entirely original]

Dick Tracy - Marlene Dietrich

antmanb
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Madonna and Cyndi both released their debut album the same year, Madonna's coming out some months before Cyndi.

I didn't realise that at all, I thought Madonnas first album came out years after.

Actually I've wikipedia'd it it looks like Cyndi's album was released in Europe shortly after its release in the US. Madonna's was re-released in Europe in 1985 so I guess even though madonna's did come first, she didn't catch on in Europe for a while and seemingly came after cyndi lauper.

I have a friend who was at the infamous Hacienda night when Madonna was not well received (not surprising given the type of music that usually was played there).

marbri
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Her pre-fame days - HEAVILY borrowed from Debbie Harry / Blondie

Her grab-bag style and 'Minnie Mouse on helium vocals' from Borderline and Lucky Star - Cyndi Lauper.

Opening chords of Like a Virgin - Michael Jackson's Billie Jean

Material Girl - well, borrowed everything from Marilyn Monroe's performance in 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'

Her whole True Blue look - Marilyn Monroe, down to the mole

Express Yourself - The video really borrows heavily from German film in the 1920s and Marlene Dietrich / Madonna herself said the music is a tribute to Sly and the Family Stone. [I think it's funny that Gaga is accused of ripping her off here, when Express Yourself is not exactly entirely original]

Dick Tracy - Marlene Dietrich

If Borderline and Lucky Star are from her debut album that came out before Cyndi Lauper then how exactly is she ripping off Lauper's vocals??:P

olympic
07-20-2011, 06:42 PM
If Borderline and Lucky Star are from her debut album that came out before Cyndi Lauper then how exactly is she ripping off Lauper's vocals??:P

I meant the videos and her image - Even if Madonna released her album sooner, Cyndi raced to the top faster than Madonna and had her videos out on MTV rotation sooner. And Cyndi probably grabbed the originality award due to that, but the truth is they may have just been alike and coincidentally premiering around the same time.

Sorry if I mentioned the voice because that is something I forgot - Madonna was released in mid '83 and Cyndi's 'She so Unusual' was also released in '83, but just a couple of months later.

Madonna used to do this Cyndi imitation in her '87 'Who's That Girl' Tour which was a little mean-spirited. I wonder if she was resentful about being eclipsed by Cyndi for about a year.