PDA

View Full Version : A Dance with Dragons

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

MarieM
08-09-2011, 08:23 AM
I think critics don't get fantasy at all.
The point is not to make one terrific book. It's to make a truly terrific SERIES of books.

jen_faith
08-09-2011, 03:19 PM
I thought the book was a disappointment. There's world-building and then there's wandering in circles f.o.r.e.v.e.r. Half the book was pointless meandering. The tightest/best part of the book was set in the North but even then, if there was one more scene of Jon inventorying his store of turnips, I was going to scream. I thought the cliffhangers (Jamie, Jon) were just plain bad/amateur storytelling. Too bad, because the first three books were nice and tight. I even didn't mind the fourth too much although it really went nowhere fast. This one is too cumbersome, too many characters, too many loose plots, and far too much detail.

dbell1
08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
"You know nothing about turnip inventory, Jon Snow." :lol:

Buzz
08-09-2011, 08:26 PM
As much as I loved the book, I could certainly see where the critics of book 5 are coming from. The five deaths of major characters or supposed deaths were a bit much for me and knocked the wind out of me a bit. I read somewhere before the book for released that no major characters would be killed off in this book but that will not be the case in book 6 so you could imagine my surprise at the end of the book! But then again it is Martin so I should not have been that surprised although if he killed off Melisandre and Daenerys I would be very happy. LOL