PDA

View Full Version : A Dance with Dragons

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

MarieM
07-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Jaime. I want him. Now. IT's like Eric in TB :P

Hedwig
07-20-2011, 12:05 PM
:lol: Hedwig, I know exactly where you're coming from. You've waited years for this book (and were tortured :P with the half baked FFC) and then you get a book you love. I'm brand new to the series and have only waited a month for this one.

Feel free to tell me "you know nothing, floppy rabbit ears". :)

You know nothing, you floppy dbell. :drama: ;)

Incidentally, I like the phrase "You know nothing, Jon Snow". Maybe because I liked Ygritte. But also because bf and I now use it all the time if one of us is stupid. :lol:

rfisher
07-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I can't wait to find out why in the hell Dany is wearing floppy rabbit ears. :lol:

Buzz
07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Read an article on The Globe and Mail about the author George Martin and in it he says he is being bugged about The Winds of Winter already. LOL George says TWOW will be finished when it is finished but is extremely happy about the continued success of both the tv show and the books.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/books/george-rr-martin-at-the-top-of-his-game-of-thrones/article2093774/

Buzz
07-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Just want to say that for me it is ok if Jon survives his wounds but if he dies I want his character to stay dead and not get the un-cat and un Gregor treatment. Let the dead stay dead in these novels for once. But I do hope he survives, I mean if he does not what was the point of the bird squawking "king...Snow....Jon Snow...Jon Snow...".

Buzz
07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Anyone care to speculate what Varys is up to? I mean it sounds like he had a hand in bring down Aerys and turning father against son. Now he is clearing being working to destroy the Lannisters and make sure the realm is in as much chaos and termoil as possible so the invasion by Daenerys and/or Aegon will go much smoother. But he was partly responsible for both of them being taken care off and formenting plans for both to raise armies and invade Westeros but on the other hand didn't he help in being down the Targayens in the first place? Someone said the true touble with Aerys did not happen until Varys showed up. So what on earth is he really up too?

Hedwig
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
IMO, Varys is one of the "good" guys. (If that is even possible with GRRM where any character seems to be bad and good at the same time.)
But I believe Varys when he says that he serves the realm.

Clearly, Aerys wasn't fit to rule and Robert was a bad king as well. Not even talking about the ones after him.

Therefore, my guess is that Daenerys and Aegon were always his backplans in case Robert turned out to be a bad king - as he did - seeing that the realm would probably rise for a Targaryen if they were unhappy with the current rulers.

That would also explain why Aegon was so carefully schooled to rule. If it were just for Varys to get power it wouldn't matter if Aegon was well educated etc. It would probably be even better to keep him stupid in order to have a pawn to just toss around. But it seems to me like Varys really has the "small folk" in mind.
"why is it that is always the small folk that has to bleed when you lords play the Game of Thrones?" (or sth like that, phrase is from memory)

Buzz
07-22-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't by it. Not sure what Varys motives are but I doubt very much they are entirely altruistic. He murdered Kevan in cold blood for no reason despite Kevan doing a good job as regent and why the kids with knives especially since Kevan was dying anyway. Too besidea those kids reminded me of the movie "Village of the Dammed" waaay too much. I think that those kids are un-dead. That would make them the perfect spies because they could stay underground for as long as necessary. All this scheming, plotting and murdering Varys has done has resulted in war and unstability which has effected the small folk to most which shows me that he cares little for the cost of everything he has been doing so long as he wins the game.

Buzz
07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
BTW Here is an interview with Martin in which he is asked why he killed off Jon Snow...

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/21/dance-with-dragons-shocking-twist-g/

MarieM
07-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Ew. What a crappy question to ask him.
I won't read that. I still want, need hope !

rfisher
07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Ew. What a crappy question to ask him.
I won't read that. I still want, need hope !

:lol: In that case you might want to read it.

MarieM
07-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Ah ? There is a Light then ? ;)

intheknow
07-22-2011, 05:58 PM
This has turned into the most expensive book of my life! I pre-ordered the book from Barnes and Noble. When I found out it wouldn't arrive until Monday, the 17th, I borrowed spouse's Kindle and bought an electronic copy. Then, I kept reading so late into the night that I feel asleep and dropped the Kindle. The screen broke (apparently, they are pretty vulnerable) and I had to buy a replacement Kindle. So I bought a hard-back copy, an electronic copy, and a new Kindle. But the book is worth every cent!

Hedwig
07-22-2011, 08:06 PM
This has turned into the most expensive book of my life! I pre-ordered the book from Barnes and Noble. When I found out it wouldn't arrive until Monday, the 17th, I borrowed spouse's Kindle and bought an electronic copy. Then, I kept reading so late into the night that I feel asleep and dropped the Kindle. The screen broke (apparently, they are pretty vulnerable) and I had to buy a replacement Kindle. So I bought a hard-back copy, an electronic copy, and a new Kindle. But the book is worth every cent!

That is the kind of dedication that I like! :respec:

(Sorry about your Kindle)

Buzz
07-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Now that is what I call dedication! hehehe I pre-ordered my book and paid full price but if I had waited to until the first day to buy it I would have gotten the book at 30%. hehehe But I just had to be sure to have my own copy and it was well worth it. :D