Buzz
07-18-2011, 10:05 PM
1. Martin love of killing off popular characters
2. The ease by which the BWB kill off Freys
2. Jaime being lead off to his death
3. Daenerys constantly being described as the world's saviour
4. Jon constantly saying to himself "you know nothing Jon Snow"
5. Deanerys repeating endlessly " I am a young girl..."
6. Daenerys whinning about being Queen as if the Meereenese asked her to be Queen
7. Everything Melisandre does.
8. Yeah Bran and the tree thing...
9. Killing off Stannis and making to way clear for Daenerys the saviour of the world to storm into Westeros without a Baratheon heir standing in the way.

Verbalgirl77
07-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Ok, I don't know if it's because I've had a soft spot in my heart for the past 13 years for Jon Snow, or if it's because of these fertility drugs I'm taking, but I cried my eyes out when Jon was attacked. I started tearing up when he was thinking about his siblings, and then the attack itself :yikes: I was actually spoiled that he is attacked, but I did not know who did it or the circumstances.
I don't really think he is dead, but I just felt so badly for him in that moment. I wanted to reach through the book and save him. .

That scene was awful. The way he says, "Why?" at the end then thinks about stick them with the pointy end and Arya. It's the worst because he thinks the guys on the Wall are almost the only friends or family he has left. Come back, Sam! :wuzrobbed

Then you have Theon's scenes and Bran trying to communicate with him through the trees, and when Theon hears Bran crying... :wuzrobbed

But I'm on the Jon = Azor Ahai bandwagon now. I'm not sure where this leaves Dany though and I'm a fan of hers. :shuffle:

Buzz
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I remember reading that no point of view character would die during this book but more deaths should be expected in book six. Imagine my surprise reading about the at best uncertain ending to Jon, Jaime and Stannis three main characters in the story. Not happy about Kevan either but that is George Martin. He also have a nack for reviving his charactes even though they seem to be done for. So in that I guess it is possible that all three (Jon, Jaime and Stannis) will survive book five.

MarieM
07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
What is funny with dear Georges is that he loves killing fans favorite. So far, Jon & Jaime are fan favorites. I'm not sure Stannis is.

Hedwig
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I am very sure that none of the three characters you mentioned, Buzz, are dead. GRRM, unlike most other authors I know, is not afraid to kill of main characters as we have seen, but even he has to keep a few around to keep the book going. ;) And if we don't see someone get his head chopped off, I don't believe in his/her dead.
I still believe that the Hound is still alive as well for instance (and is the grave digger mentioned in book 5).

The general feeling I get from this thread is that most of you are somehow angry or fed up with the books or some storylines? That surprised me because I really like Dance with Dragons. I found it had the magic of SoS again and was fast paced and witty. But most I read in here is how this character goes on your nerves and how you cannot read that particular sentence again etc.
Do I get the feeling right?

MarieM
07-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Fed up with it ? No way !
Fed up with waiting for the conclusion for sure IMO ;)

Book five wasn't a disapointment AT ALL. I loved it from start to finish. I didn't throw it on the wall like I did with book 3&4 :lol:

dbell1
07-19-2011, 04:02 PM
I want to re-read it at a slower pace. I think for me, rushing through a bit to get to a favorite storyline might had done me in. I was also expecting another Jaime chapter.

I don't know what I was expecting with Bran's storyline, but the Weirwoods didn't enter into my brain. The boy who can't walk is now going to be a tree. Or communicate through trees. I really have to read that stuff again.

But, I will happily say that I hate how Martin keeps repeating the same things over and over. People get abandoned and we don't know what happened to them. So many different new people pop up and you're not sure who should be important. And people get new names/cutesy chapter titles.

Anyone who has read all 5 books knows that Yigrette thinks Jon Snow knew nothing. We know Arya bites her lip. And we most certainly know that Dany doesn't like donning her floppy rabbit ears. He almost seems bored with his characters. Or it's lazy storywriting. Or he doesn't trust a reader to not remember these things? It's not like a new reader, unfamiliar with the storyline, is going to pick up book 5.

Does Martin have an editor? Or is he allowed to write whatever he wants due to the popularity of the series? Maybe this is a transition book and he was tired by the end of it?

I felt the same with Tom Claney books years ago. The characters kept repeating the same popular phrases. The evil people were way over the top. Characters appeared to die, but didn't.

But, I did like it. Honest. :lol:

Buzz
07-19-2011, 06:19 PM
I loved the book really!

dbell1
07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
:rofl: I just opened up my email and the ad at the top had a child hugging a tree. I thought of Bran and this thread. :rofl:

Hedwig
07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
But, I did like it. Honest. :lol:

:rofl:

Good. I was already feeling gullible because I just adored most of it and devoured it without all these literary (or whatever) criticisms. ;)

Buzz
07-19-2011, 11:16 PM
BTW... The letter sent to John does not seem to be a strong enough indication that Stannis is dead. Bolton could be lying or Stannis could have faked his own death. I refused to accept all my favourite characters are gone in one fell swoop. Guess I am in a state of shock and not everything has sunk in yet. While I am at it, what on earth is Varys playing at? He has a hand in both Daenerys and Aegon adventures as well as creating a rift between the now deceased King Aerys and Rheagor. (according to Barristan anyway) Is Varys and Littlefinger working together? Is he really interested in restoring the Targayen dynasty or just have his own goal in mind. And the description of the little kids.... YIKES!

mindy74
07-19-2011, 11:56 PM
:rofl: I just opened up my email and the ad at the top had a child hugging a tree. I thought of Bran and this thread. :rofl:

:lol:

Yeah, GRRM likes to re-use similar words and phrases. I would have loved DwD even more if the words "you know nothing Jon Snow" had been deleted. My least favorite phrase of all time.

I also want to do another read at a slower pace after I'm done re-reading SoS and FfC. Just got to the Red Wedding--it never fails to depress the hell out of me :(

The theory that Jon=AA is interesting...not sure if I want it though.

dbell1
07-20-2011, 01:22 AM
:lol: Hedwig, I know exactly where you're coming from. You've waited years for this book (and were tortured :P with the half baked FFC) and then you get a book you love. I'm brand new to the series and have only waited a month for this one.

Feel free to tell me "you know nothing, floppy rabbit ears". :)

rfisher
07-20-2011, 01:28 AM
I haven't got to Book 2 yet, but I'm :wideeyes: that Jaime becomes a favorite character. :rofl:

Buzz
07-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Well Jaime has evolved over the course of the series. He was lost a bit partly due to his affair with Cercei but hopefully he regretts his actions and has partly paid for them.