PDA

View Full Version : If you could have a rule created, what would it be.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

misskarne
07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
No more tights over the boots unless you are a synchro team.

Oh my god, YES PLEASE.

just curious.... for professionals wanting re-instatement, what IS the rule?

It depends on the nature of their "ineligible" status.

Revising the step sequence rule (levels), so that they don't have to last forever (and at the speed of a tortoise with a bad foot) and do not have to use every turn ever invented. I preferred the pre-COP step sequences.

Yes, me too. Steps like Yagudin's "Winter" sequences or Plushenko's circular in his MJ medley SP, which may not have been the most complicated step sequences ever invented but matched the music and theme of the program.

I would like to see a rule against re-using your program more than once. If you've had an injury hit year the year before, that's okay. If you've become World Champion with the damn thing...

olympic
07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
'Deregulate' PCS scoring - allow big fluctuations from component to component; example - Miki could receive an 8.25 for skating skills, but perhaps 4.0 for transitions, 5.5 for choreography, etc.

Ladida
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
There should be a 30 points deduction in PCS for repeating same choreography for one more season.

attyfan
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
This is a little more than just a new rule, but: I would like to see the points to be earned in the SP earned by perfection, with enough GOEs available so a perfect triple (or perfect basic layback spin) earns more points than a quad or "higher level" spin, whereas points may be earned in the FS on a slightly different system that would encourage a little more difficulty.

DORISPULASKI
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
A boost in points, either in GOE or base value, to recognize that a combo of a double jump is followed by a triple jump is harder than a triple jump followed by a double jump.

I'd like this so that we can see more variations in combos-and perhaps a few skater would do a 2/3 who can't do a 3/3 or are perpetually underrotating the second triple.

Macassar88
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Revising the step sequence rule (levels), so that they don't have to last forever (and at the speed of a tortoise with a bad foot) and do not have to use every turn ever invented. I preferred the pre-COP step sequences.
I think the problem isn't the code. It's the fact that skaters aren't trying to do fast step sequences anymore. Remember in 2006 when Sasha and Irina were doing level 3 steps with good speed?
I think that the slow sequences should result in lower PC's in composition and skating skills (since part of skating skills has to do with speed across ice)

antmanb
07-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Another vote for getting rid of the full body momvement requirement in step sequences. Just because it's harder to do footwork with your head between your legs, it doesn't mean that it's good to watch or enhances the step sequence.

I'm also in agreement that death spirals should lose the levels. It is the single element that has been ruined the most by COP. Why give greater points to a couple entering a death sprial in a shoot the duck, than a classic proper entrance which is so much more difficult than already beeing down close to the ice in a shoot the duck :mad: :mad:

Macassar88
07-14-2011, 04:05 PM
1. I like combos having a multiplier.

2. A special -GOE for elements with falls (-3 isn't low enough) with multiple falls specifically decreasing program components (one fall doesn't have to, two should, and three/four/five definitely should)

3. Bring back the second leveled step sequence. It's funny watching what passes for footwork from some of the guys.

What's a second leveled step sequence?

Also, i think that falls should be penalizes more. Maybe have the -3 to +3 GOE and then if you fall, you get the equivalent of a -4 or -5?

Also, bring back spirals. Maybe in the FS, you can say two step/spiral sequences. And I don't mean the 2 point spiral. I mean spirals that go from level 1 to level 4 so there's a reason for innovation.

Erin
07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
A boost in points, either in GOE or base value, to recognize that a combo of a double jump is followed by a triple jump is harder than a triple jump followed by a double jump.

I like this one and think it should be recognized somehow that combos are more difficult than individual jumps. I'm having some difficulty with how to accomplish it. The best I can come up with would be either to have a multiplier for both the first and second jump of the combo (e.g. 1.1 for first jump, 1.2 for second) or only have a multiplier on the second jump (but might have result of over-encouraging double-triples at the expense of triple-triples). The one issue I have with both of these approaches is that I feel like the triple toe-triple toe is overvalued in the short program compared to a triple lutz-double toe, but maybe that's something I can get over. Having a bonus for a complete set of triples in the free might help compensate for this a little bit on an overall basis.

I would also eliminate the 0.8 for sequences, which I always thought was rather unfair. It makes sense for a combo to be more than a sequence but not for an individual jump to be worth more than a sequence.

gkelly
07-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Is this supposed to be a serious thread or a fun casual thread? Maybe we need one of each?

aliceanne
07-14-2011, 05:09 PM
This is mine! :cheer2:

This!!! A fast centered spin that looks good, please.

Also no credit for a flexibility move unless you are actually flexible and able to achieve an aesthetically pleasing position that has something to do with the music. (Sean Sawyer = yes, Robin Szolkowy = no).

her grace
07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Falls are disruptive to programs, and since judges don't seem to think so when they judge PCS (well, for certain skaters :shuffle:), then the automatic deductions for falls should be increased.

Ex.
-1 deduction for first fall
-2 deduction for second fall
-3 deduction for third fall
-4 deduction for fourth fall

There should be a bonus for including each type of jump in one's program.

Zemgirl
07-14-2011, 07:08 PM

And may I add to that the removal of the full body movement requirement to stop the random bobbing up and down, butt in the air (ladies and men), which imo adds nothing to a programme.

Yes. And a straight line sequence should go back to being a straight line.
Yes, all those things. It would be nice if the straightline step sequences went back to being just that, rather than a "meander around the ice while bobbing about" sequence. And the upper body movement in particular is an evil that must be eradicated for the good of skating. Unless one is portraying a drunken pirate ;) it never adds anything.

I realize what Yags did in Winter wasn't all that hard, but it went with the music, it was fun, and it was memorable. Some skaters today have great edges, but the step sequences themselves are just forgettable.

gkelly
07-14-2011, 07:28 PM
So, serious question (I'll make another thread if appropriate)...

Suppose we want to encourage and reward skaters for
1) step sequences that cover the ice with good speed
2) step sequences that demonstrate good edge quality
3) step sequences that fit the musical phrasing and choreographic theme of the program
4) ability to demonstrate variety and difficulty of turns, steps, and other skating skills, in both directions

If requiring 4) in the step sequences seems to work against also achieving 1) and 3), would it make more sense to make all step sequences "choreo step sequences" and then to reward the skills under 4) with GOE when demonstrated with the choreo sequence, or to reward them with more specific incentives than the current Skating Skills component when demonstrated throughout the program, or to reward them in their own separate part of the competition outside the program by reviving school figures or introducing some other purely skating skill segment of the competition?

Or should advanced skating skills not be officially rewarded?

carriecmu0503
07-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Changing underrotations to a GOE deduction instead of a downgrade. This would change so many results for the better, such as Nakano's 2008 Worlds placing.

In an ideal world, this would work. I would have no problem with this rule in the case of a skater who normally full rotates the jump but happens to make a mistake in competition.

However, this rule could encourage skaters (and coaches!) to not learn the proper jump technique. With this rule, skaters could actually PLAN to only do a 2.5 Lutz because they would then get the points for a triple with -GOE, which would still likely yield more points than a double jump. I don't see how this could change ANYTHING for the better!