PDA

View Full Version : Is USFSA providing food for US athletes competing in China? They should.

Pages : 1 [2]

olifaunt
07-15-2011, 12:10 AM
For figure skating, it's more common to take things to calm your nerves (many of which aren't banned by WADA) and also to be involved in recreational drugs (marijuana, cocaine). Stimulants, in particular, help some people focus and improve alertness.

I know that most ADD/ADHD medications are controlled doses of amphetamine. I wonder if that's ever caused problems for any skaters during random drug testing.

Ziggy
07-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Yes, but it's not health that we are worried about, though there is that. It's the danger of athletes getting penalties!

Of course.

But when this thread was posted, I started to wonder if somebody eating a lot of non-organic US American meat and dairy could end up in trouble during doping control if he happened to be consuming products where certain growth hormones were used.

I guess it's extremely unlikely because we'd have scores of athletes failing doping tests but it's just me thinking aloud. ;)

orbitz
07-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Just out of curiousity, what kind of performance enhancing drugs would benefit a skater? Steroids add bulk, and most skaters are fanatic about not bulking-up. So I would think they would avoid steroids like the plague. It's not an endurance sport.

Skating at the elite level is an endurance sport, especially under the new IJS. 5 minutes of triples, most of which are performed in the latter half of a program, and exhausting footworks and spins take a lot out of a skater. I think blood doping could really help a skater last through his program, especially at high altitude.

Ziggy
07-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Genetic doping is what is "in" at the moment.

It's impossible to detect and I'm sure loads of athletes are using it.

Susan M
07-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, what kind of performance enhancing drugs would benefit a skater?
Steriod type drugs would be useful in dealing with an injury - reducing inflammation to speed recovery after injury. I guess some skaters probably also have Therapeutic Use Exemptions for the steroid type products used for asthma.

Some people have been cynical about Contador's claims since the drug is prohibited for livestock in the EU
It is prohibited there but apparently that does not always prevent unscrupulous producers from using it. There was some tainted beef seized in Spain just last fall. I think this is also a problem in some of Latin America.

The issue with Contador is really complicated, in that the levels were so low, it would have been nearly impossible to take a dose that small. It was also so miniscule that it was below the level labs are required to detect. It happens the lab Contador's sample went to was one that can detect these incredibly small amounts, while other WADA accredited labs would not have seen it. IMO, Contador's lawyers should have argued that when WADA has not prescribed a minimum threshold, the test level require for lab certification becomes a de facto minimum threshold. Otherwise, it means that a sample that reads positive in one lab would not be positive at another, which just seems wrong for the reliability and fairness of whole testing process.

If there was a problem with tainted food at a skaters banquet, then you would probably get more than one skater testing positive and the "tainted food" explanation would be more easily believed. I guess there is still also the problem with food skaters eat at restaurants. I wonder just what kind of testing was done to establish the safe list.

barbk
07-15-2011, 04:39 AM
I was (and am) pretty horrified at the percentage of ordinary visitors that came back testing positive from visits to China -- that took it for me from a, "yes, I know they have food safety problems" to "whoa -- they have HUGE food safety problems." Add to that the adulterated milk -- which is still happening, exploding watermelons, duck marketed as lamb after being marinated in sheep urine, and plasticized tapioca, my interest in visiting China is rapidly plummeting, unless I do it on the bring a suitcase of bars and nuts method. And meanwhile athletes go and risk their careers if they eat the steroid adulterated food. It does not seem right.

MacMadame
07-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Skating at the elite level is an endurance sport, especially under the new IJS.
No, it's not. Skating is about explosive energy which comes from fast-twitch muscles and not the slow-twitch muscles that are primarily used by endurance athletes. Also, the programs are less than 10 minutes which means ATP production doesn't have time to ramp up like it does in endurance sports.

Now if they skated for 20 minutes or more, we could talk. :lol: