PDA

View Full Version : Happy National French Fries Day

Pages : [1] 2

orbitz
07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
July 12 is National French fries day (http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/07/13/breakfast-buffet-national-french-fries-day/?hpt=hp_bn8). Who knew? So don't feel guily if you need to stop my McDee today.

Thank God I have no craving for the stuff :P.

soxxy
07-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I love French Fries. I have to work up the nerve one day to make some really good home made ones.

Artemis@BC
07-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Arbys in Canada is giving away free curly fries in honour of the day. (So I guess that makes it international french fry day!) I don't normally do Arbys, or fast food in general ... but for free fries I might make an exception. :P

Japanfan
07-14-2011, 12:32 AM
I love French Fries. I have to work up the nerve one day to make some really good home made ones.

I by far prefer home fries. Though I don't use a deep fryer and oven roast instead.

I slice up the potatoes fairly thin slices, more oval than long and thin in shape (it's easier to cut this way). Then I roast them at 400 degrees in lots of olive oil with a bit of kosher salt and a liberal amount of fresh ground pepper. It takes 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and you need to turn the them at least once because they tend to stick to the pan.

Sometimes I add slices of garlic for the last five minutes and take the dish out when both potatoes and garlic can make a meal out of it by adding some fresh parmesan and sliced tomatoes.

It's so yummy because of the olive oil, which is far more flavourful than the oils they use at fast food restaurants.

And you can pan fry instead of roasting, but roasting is easier because you have to continually turn the potatoes if you pan fry.

Andrushka
07-14-2011, 03:45 AM
I ate sweet potato fries but I am a big fan of french fries. I blame my childhood of eating pom frites when I lived in Germany.

BigB08822
07-14-2011, 04:32 AM
I think you meant July 13th. I was very confused, haha. I had fries today, so good for me!

soxxy
07-14-2011, 11:08 AM
I by far prefer home fries. Though I don't use a deep fryer and oven roast instead.

I slice up the potatoes fairly thin slices, more oval than long and thin in shape (it's easier to cut this way). Then I roast them at 400 degrees in lots of olive oil with a bit of kosher salt and a liberal amount of fresh ground pepper. It takes 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are crispy and you need to turn the them at least once because they tend to stick to the pan.

Mmmmmm....What kind of pan do you use for oven roasting? I'd want them as crispy as possible, so I'm wondering how thick you layer them.

Japanfan
07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Mmmmmm....What kind of pan do you use for oven roasting? I'd want them as crispy as possible, so I'm wondering how thick you layer them.

Just a rectangular glass pan. I don't layer them at all, just like the slices flat out. This is necessary to get them crispy.

An oiled cookie tray might do the job equally well. The trick for crispy is that both sides of the potato need to roast in the oil directly.

Bev Johnston
07-14-2011, 04:08 PM

Sometimes I add slices of garlic for the last five minutes and take the dish out when both potatoes and garlic can make a meal out of it by adding some fresh parmesan and sliced tomatoes.

It's so yummy because of the olive oil, which is far more flavourful than the oils they use at fast food restaurants.

And you can pan fry instead of roasting, but roasting is easier because you have to continually turn the potatoes if you pan fry.

These sound yummy. Anyone have suggestions for making fried fries retain their crispiness? I've tried the soaking in sugar water thing and they are crispy when they are first out of the pan, but they begin to get soggy and floppy pretty quickly.

Aceon6
07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
These sound yummy. Anyone have suggestions for making fried fries retain their crispiness? I've tried the soaking in sugar water thing and they are crispy when they are first out of the pan, but they begin to get soggy and floppy pretty quickly.

The double cook method works for me. I cut them in half and par boil until I can start to get a fork in (about 15 minutes), let them cool a bit, then slice them up before tossing in olive oil and baking The starch molecules are already breaking down, so they get a really good crust. This is the only way I do sweet potatoes as they're so hard to cut raw.

Artemis@BC
07-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Anyone have suggestions for making fried fries retain their crispiness? I've tried the soaking in sugar water thing and they are crispy when they are first out of the pan, but they begin to get soggy and floppy pretty quickly.

Here's the method I use for oven yam fries. Never tried it with regular potato fries, but it would be worth a go:

Soak the cut (sweet) potatoes and dry them off. Dust with a mix of half flour/cornstarch. (You can leave them plain or season the flour mixture with pepper, chipotle powder, curry powder, or whatever you like.) Then dip in whipped egg whites.

Baked them for 15 minutes @ 450. Add just a little oil, turn them over, and cook another 15 minutes.

Fries should be perfectly soft inside and super crispy outside.

fan
07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
if you add egg white to the fries before baking, it crisps them up

Bev Johnston
07-14-2011, 08:15 PM
The double cook method works for me. I cut them in half and par boil until I can start to get a fork in (about 15 minutes), let them cool a bit, then slice them up before tossing in olive oil and baking The starch molecules are already breaking down, so they get a really good crust. This is the only way I do sweet potatoes as they're so hard to cut raw.

and

Here's the method I use for oven yam fries. Never tried it with regular potato fries, but it would be worth a go:

Soak the cut (sweet) potatoes and dry them off. Dust with a mix of half flour/cornstarch. (You can leave them plain or season the flour mixture with pepper, chipotle powder, curry powder, or whatever you like.) Then dip in whipped egg whites.

Baked them for 15 minutes @ 450. Add just a little oil, turn them over, and cook another 15 minutes.

Fries should be perfectly soft inside and super crispy outside.

Thanks for the suggestions! I haven't heard of the parboil method. I did read about a 2 minute blanch in hot oil. I will definitely try both of these. Darn, all of this french fry testing. Whatever will I do.... ;)

IceAlisa
07-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I adore sweet potato fries. :swoon:

halffull
07-14-2011, 10:46 PM
absolutely the best kind of fries :)