PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Bans Kids Under 6: Discrimination or Smart Move?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

jamesy
07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
I served and bar tended during undergrad. I would have been thrilled to work in a restaurant that banned kids.
Why? Were they bad tippers?

Prancer
07-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Sorry, at 10pm, the adults have no one to blame but themselves if they don't like the language or loudness of the table next to them.

Um, what if I don't have kids and their behavior is bugging me because *I* find it obnoxious? Is it more or less so with kids? How about at eight instead of 10?

If you are swearing and cutting up at a table in a restaurant, people around you generally don't appreciate it any more than they appreciate listening to a kid whine and cry.

aliceanne
07-13-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't think a ban on children under 6 is harsh in these circumstances. This particular restaurant sounds like one you would visit in the evening and enjoy a leisurely meal. Young children would be up past their bedtime, and sitting through a leisurely evening would try their patience. I don't know why a parent would bring them anyway.

I don't have a problem with young children in restaurants if the parents are prompt about removing them when the become unruly or explode.

JJH
07-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Loud, raucous behavior is annoying whether the noisy attention-seeking participants are 3 or 33.

BigB08822
07-13-2011, 08:52 PM
You mean like this situation?
So let's see--there was a table of obnoxious drinkers carrying on way above the ambient noise level, yet they found it funny to act like jackasses when asked to pipe down.

Ironic that the child at the neighboring table wasn't causing any problems--only the blowhards sitting next to them.

So are these the kind of adults you think should be removed?

I pointed out very specifically in my post that we were NOT being loud. This restaurant is small and our tables literally were right next to each other. There was just enough space for a person to walk through SIDEWAYS. We werent acting like jackasses either, we were having some drinks and laughing at each others stories. Am I missing your point?

FigureSpins
07-13-2011, 08:58 PM
Loud, raucous behavior is annoying whether the noisy attention-seeking participants are 3 or 33.

Very true! One of the loudest groups I've ever heard in a restaurant were a group of 50-something ladies having a (hs?) reunion. They screeched and squealed through all their stories and remembrances, oohed and aahed over every boy they ever dated or looked at sideways. Anyone in the restaurant heard every word and outburst, lol. (They were actually kind of cute, using phrases from their youth like "Jinkies!" and "Jiminy!")

We once went to a nice restaurant in Bay Ridge for dinner, just DH and myself. The tables were very close, so it was easy to overhear things. The waiter brought our appetizers and the maitre' d' seated a young couple at the next table. They were on a first date, having met through the Village Voice ads. The young woman said, very loudly, "I think I'd be horrified to bring a child into the world today!" I was eight months pregnant with twins and it was very obvious, lol.There was an older couple sitting to our left and the husband leaned over to me and quietly said "Thank God!" I tried really hard not to laugh, but it didn't work. My eyes were running, I laughed so hard and long. He loudly said "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Hey, don't have that baby here and now!" At this point, the young couple fell very quiet and ate in silence for the rest of the meal as we chatted about babies and grandbabies with the couple to our left. As we left, my husband asked me how I thought the young couple's date went, which brought on a fresh set of giggles.

Jenny
07-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Awhile back we spent the weekend at an inn that had a popular restaurant patronized by inn guests, locals and even people making the trek out just for a meal. They had three rooms - one was all tables for two, one was off to one side and more casually furnished, and then there was a big central area. They put the couples having a romantic weekend in the first, the local families in the second, and the others all in the third - including the groups of friends having a girls spa weekend or other larger parties. I thought it was a great solution for a place that attracts a broad range of customers.

FigureSpins
07-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Great solution, indeed!

genevieve
07-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Very true! One of the loudest groups I've ever heard in a restaurant were a group of 50-something ladies having a (hs?) reunion. They screeched and squealed through all their stories and remembrances, oohed and aahed over every boy they ever dated or looked at sideways. Anyone in the restaurant heard every word and outburst, lol. (They were actually kind of cute, using phrases from their youth like "Jinkies!" and "Jiminy!")

That sounds 12 kinds of awesome :cool:

FigureSpins
07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
That sounds 12 kinds of awesome :cool:
They were loud, but really just having a good time. They weren't obnoxious or mean, just enjoying each other and flirting with their waiter, lol. (Who was probably 17 and not sure what was going on!)

Jenny
07-13-2011, 09:39 PM
They were loud, but really just having a good time. They weren't obnoxious or mean, just enjoying each other and flirting with their waiter, lol. (Who was probably 17 and not sure what was going on!)

:lol: Did this happen in the official hotel lobby bar at a skating event?

FigureSpins
07-13-2011, 09:46 PM
LOL, no, it was at a place near the Jersey shore.

hydro
07-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Um, what if I don't have kids and their behavior is bugging me because *I* find it obnoxious? Is it more or less so with kids? How about at eight instead of 10?

If you are swearing and cutting up at a table in a restaurant, people around you generally don't appreciate it any more than they appreciate listening to a kid whine and cry.

Yeah, again, they can leave. If someone is swearing or acting crazy on the street, I cross the street. If I'm uncomfortable in a situation, I leave. I don't go out of my way to tell someone they are ruining my evening, especially in a public setting where noise and chatting and drinking is acceptable. If I'm in a concert hall, sure, but there are also ushers for that sort of thing, too.

I think context is important, and in this context, those parents were completely out-of-line.

Wiery
07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I can't even think of a time I've had an issue with kids or adults or anyone in a restaurant. I'm sure there have been some, but they must not have been too traumatic or they'd pop right into my head.

I seem to lead a much-less-troubled life than a lot of people here do. I go out in public and get things done and rarely run into annoying people who say or do things that irritate me. I don't understand it at all.

Same here! The only annoying people I know are my friends and family. :D

Andrushka
07-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Yahoo! Article (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/restaurant-bans-kids-under-6-discrimination-or-smart-move-2509487/)

Thoughts? Would you even pay more for a meal at a restaurant if you were guaranteed to not hear disruptive children? For those of you that are parents, does a restaurant doing this make you upset? Think childless people are selfish? (And trust me, I get that feeling from many people who have kids.)

I am divided over this. As much as I don't like policies that blanket all kids as disruptive, it amazes me how many people let there kids misbehave - whether it is at a restaurant, movie theater, concert, or sporting event - and they do nothing, with TOTAL disregard to everyone else (and many of them are also parents) who have also paid sometimes A LOT of money to be there.

I think I was well behaved as a child and would have gone most places without bothering anyone. But: 1) My parents didn't really take me out to restaurants, movies, etc. AT ALL until I was about 4, and 2) if I had a habit of misbehavior, I am 100000% certain that I wouldn't be going anywhere.

No I would not pay more for a meal where I would not be disrupted by children,but that's also because unless there is a loud argument or fight in a restaurant(which I have actually experienced twice).I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to what is going on with anyone else.I mind my own business.

As a parent,no it doesn't make me upset.Because I wouldn't be likely to take my children to a restaurant like that anyway.

Do I think that some childless people are selfish.Yes.Before i get attacked.I said "some" not "all". :P

I think restaurants wouldn't have to make such rules if people (1 used common sense and didn't take small children to upscale restaurants and (2 if people had manners and then taught their children manners so there wouldn't be a NEED for such rules. My boys are pretty well behaved for the most part.They say "yes/no ma'm","yes/no sir","please","thankyou","excuse me","your welcome" etc... But they are also ages 4 & 5 and are still learning how to behave properly in public.You couldn't pay me to take them to an upscale restaurant at this point and time.Because we would be in the bathroom having "talks" so much that I would never get to actually eat.lol So,no I don't have a problem with this.