PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Bans Kids Under 6: Discrimination or Smart Move?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

FigureSpins
07-13-2011, 05:06 AM
I usually never curse when having a conversation in public. But...

Am I the only f**king person who deliberately laces their f**king conversations with f**king curse words just to get f**king parents with disruptive f**king kids to f**king leave my f**king vacinity?.....It really f**king works.
Even as a bystander, I would ask the management to cut you off from drinks and speak to you about your behavior and language. If that didn't work, I'd call the cops when you left, giving them your description and plate number and explaining your behavior and my concern for your sobriety.

I had two guys thrown out of Shea Stadium for a drunken foul-mouthed tirade. They were cursing left and right about their ex-wives as they downed beer after beer. I explained to them (and the cops) why they were divorced. Losers. Did I mention that we were all season ticket holders? They got moved over three sections to left field. We kept our seats behind home plate and under the overhang, ahhhh. The people who replaced them were very nice and we bought their unused tickets several times.

IMO, it's fine to have adults-only restaurants as long as it's announced in advance. If it's a fancy restaurant, they should be notifying customers when they make the reservation. Their business will probably drop in parties and catering moreso than in dinner reservations because family parties usually include children. That's their choice.

reckless
07-13-2011, 05:17 AM
I approve.

Boyfriend and I went to a Hibachi restaurant once and although we had a reservation for two, there was some miscommunication and they seated us at a table with a family with four children (apparently the restaurant didn't have tables for less than eight, but okay). All was fine until the children started picking up their knives and forks and started banging them on the plates and table. The dad looked at us, grinned, and said, "Aren't our little drummers so cute?"

We apologized to the waitress and left.

I laughed at this because I remember a time when my family was refused entry at a Benihana because I was six. I actually was always extremely well-behaved at restaurants, so my parents were furious. However, I love the idea of adult-only restaurants. I also would approve of restaurants adopting certain adult-only hours.

genevieve
07-13-2011, 05:33 AM
I seem to lead a much-less-troubled life than a lot of people here do. I go out in public and get things done and rarely run into annoying people who say or do things that irritate me. I don't understand it at all.

you're magic?

like others, I spent a lot of time waiting tables when I was younger. I saw a ton of ill-behaved children when I worked at Perkins, and I can recall some of the worst ones even now...but I don't have any memories of disruptive kids in the higher end places I worked. I know that there must have been kids there from time to time, but overall they didn't make an impression.

ETA: in case anyone isn't familiar with Perkins, it's like an IHOP, and it's very family friendly

agalisgv
07-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Even as a bystander, I would ask the management to cut you off from drinks and speak to you about your behavior and language. If that didn't work, I'd call the cops when you left, giving them your description and plate number and explaining your behavior and my concern for your sobriety. Yeah, I'm finding some of the attitudes/ responses in this thread way worse than any behavior I've witnessed from kids (and I used to wait tables at one point too). Personally I don't care if the restaurant wants such a policy--it's their choice :shrug:. But the level of vitriol expressed by some here is just :scream:

allezfred
07-13-2011, 10:19 AM
I usually never curse when having a conversation in public. But...

Am I the only f**king person who deliberately laces their f**king conversations with f**king curse words just to get f**king parents with disruptive f**king kids to f**king leave my f**king vacinity?.....It really f**king works.

Wouldn't work in Ireland. :lol:

Truly the only reasonable thing to be done with that vile vegetable....:yikes:

((((Corn))))

antmanb
07-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Going out for dinner in the evening I can't say that I can remember the last time I saw children in a restaurant so i can't think it would be a big issue with or without the rule in place here.

The thing I appreciated the most was the cinema recently introducing over 18 showings of films with lower certificates because teenagers are far more disruptive than any young children at the cinema.

I made the mistake of going to see a 7pm showing of Harry Potter and the half blood prince in the first week of release and the cinema was packed with teenagers who did not shut up all the way through. They kept setting the fire alarm off throughout the film until eventually it was taken seriously and the film was stopped at a crucial part exactly at the point snape kills dumbledore and we had to file out into the parking lot until thje fire brigade allowed us back in, when we got back the film resumed some seconds after it had paused and the key moment was lost :mad:

I always book for the over 18 showing now!

Ozzisk8tr
07-13-2011, 11:02 AM
What a smart restaurant. Now if only they owned airlines I would fly them forever. ;)

Prancer
07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
But rather than deal with us poorly but still take our money, we'd have much rather they'd just turned us away.

I've had the same experience and share your conclusion.

Even as a bystander, I would ask the management to cut you off from drinks and speak to you about your behavior and language.

Yup; some people think that misbehaving little kids are cute; others think they are obnoxious. And some people apparently think that misbehaving little kids are obnoxious, but their own misbehavior is cute.

It's amazing any of us ever set foot outside the house.

danceronice
07-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't particularly care if they banned them or not (I don't believe children should be taken out just anywhere until one can be reasonably assured of their behavior, and removed promptly as soon as they step out of line, ie scream, cry, throw things, etc.)

And that's my biggest issue--if it is screaming, remove it. If it's throwing things, remove it. If it can be heard over the average ambient noise of the place, REMOVE IT. It's no different than a party of drunken racous adults--just because it's a child doesn't make it oh so precious when it's disruptive.

Rex
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I think it's a great idea and have no problem with it at all. But I can see where it will cause problems with some people.

What would I look like if I walked into a "family" restaurant and demanded that they seat me away from children so that I could do "adult" stuff? I'd be laughed out of there...

And no, I don't hate kids.

Gil-Galad
07-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't particularly care if they banned them or not (I don't believe children should be taken out just anywhere until one can be reasonably assured of their behavior, and removed promptly as soon as they step out of line, ie scream, cry, throw things, etc.)
So what about parents with special needs children? ADHS, Autism - those children might never behave to your satisfaction. Are the parents supposed to keep those children away from society until the end of days? Should the parents and siblings of those children live a life in seclusion because the special needs child's behaviour does not fit in our/your expectation of "normal" behaviour?

And that's my biggest issue--if it is screaming, remove it. If it's throwing things, remove it. If it can be heard over the average ambient noise of the place, REMOVE IT.
Yes, remove that disturbing organic material! Right now!

taf2002
07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
For every quiet well-behaved child, there are probably a hundred who do things that their parents don't even notice but are driving some other adults crazy. For example, small children have loud piercing voices. Little ones will squeal for no apparent reason. They aren't being naughty but it is disruptive & can sure kill the ambiance.

In a family restaurant (and on airlines ;)) you have to expect there will be children & put up with it. The place where it really bothers me is in a bar. You can't sit & have a quiet drink with someone without some small child making noise & running around. And when we complain (because if it was an adult out of control they would do something) we are told that they don't have a no children policy & there is nothing they can do.

Worse example: a man came into the bar with his wife & 4 kids from about 1 to 6 yrs old. He put them at a table & stayed until they ordered a meal & then moved to the bar & watched football. The 2 middle kids got out of their chairs & started running around the bar & into the restaurant & the mother was holding the baby & couldn't or wouldn't do anything. One of the waitresses & the oldest kid kept corralling them & bringing them back & they would just go wild again. The father ignored the whole thing until the game was over.

agalisgv
07-13-2011, 03:09 PM
If it can be heard over the average ambient noise of the place, REMOVE IT. It's no different than a party of drunken racous adults You mean like this situation?

Some friends and I went out to eat at a rather nice place...It was getting late, about 10 PM (!) and we were having drinks and cutting up and enjoying ourselves. We weren't being loud but we were right next to their table and not in a booth so there was no sound barrier at all. They finally asked us to watch our language and our conversation topics. We told them to put their children to bed like a real parent. :lol: Liquid courage, hehe. So let's see--there was a table of obnoxious drinkers carrying on way above the ambient noise level, yet they found it funny to act like jackasses when asked to pipe down.

Ironic that the child at the neighboring table wasn't causing any problems--only the blowhards sitting next to them.

So are these the kind of adults you think should be removed?

Prancer
07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
For every quiet well-behaved child, there are probably a hundred who do things that their parents don't even notice but are driving some other adults crazy.

100 to one? Really?

antmanb
07-13-2011, 03:44 PM
What would I look like if I walked into a "family" restaurant and demanded that they seat me away from children so that I could do "adult" stuff? I'd be laughed out of there...

I don't really get this example. Do parents walk into restaurants and ask to be sat somewhere different than everyone else so that their kids can do "kids" things? :confused: