PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Bans Kids Under 6: Discrimination or Smart Move?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

vesperholly
07-13-2011, 02:53 AM
I seem to lead a much-less-troubled life than a lot of people here do. I go out in public and get things done and rarely run into annoying people who say or do things that irritate me. I don't understand it at all.

Me too ... I do get annoyed, but I forget about it quickly. I've always said my road rage was car-specific: once I get to my destination and exit the vehicle, I'm happy as a clam :lol: it's just the :mad: :wall: :rolleyes: driving experience on the way that gets to me.

Allen
07-13-2011, 02:56 AM
I don't think kids should be allowed in restaurants where severing is going on either :D

:rofl: This is exactly why I have gotten a little more sympathetic toward my students where proofreading is concerned ;)

triple_toe
07-13-2011, 02:59 AM
I don't think kids should be allowed in restaurants where severing is going on either :D

Well, it certainly wouldn't help with the noise levels. :P

Louis
07-13-2011, 02:59 AM
I guess I've become a true New Yorker and/or a snob since I can't even recall the last time I saw a child in a restaurant. :lol:

PDilemma
07-13-2011, 03:03 AM
I wish they'd ban cellphones in restaurants :D

This^^^

Sometimes I'd like them to be banned completely. Like when two went off near us at Shakespeare in the park last week. Right in the middle of the "to be or not to be" soliloquy in Hamlet. Even worse, the woman who happily and loudly took her damn call. :scream:

As for kids in higher end restaurants. It is too bad that some people can't figure out that some places are not appropriate for children. I don't mind children at Applebee's or such places. But when my husband and I are out for prime rib on Valentine's...it shouldn't be too much to ask that we are not surrounded by screaming toddlers.

PrincessLeppard
07-13-2011, 03:33 AM
I've never had a bad experience when I've had dinner out, but when I was a waitress, and thus in the restaurant all the damn time, I saw some :scream: children. Like the one who flung the corn from the salad bar....everywhere.

Kasey
07-13-2011, 03:35 AM
Like the one who flung the corn from the salad bar....everywhere.

Truly the only reasonable thing to be done with that vile vegetable....:yikes:

rfisher
07-13-2011, 03:45 AM
By the time my son was 5, I could take him to a nice restaurant and he was very well behaved. The key was to go early and make it special. The only time he was a problem in a restaurant was when he was about 14 months old. We were in a cafeteria style restaurant. He was on the inside of the booth (that prevented any running around). He stood up in the booth and was looking around. He started giggling and then I heard this man and his wife laughing. The man was bald and my son was patting his head. I was embarrassed, but the man thought it was hysterical. It really depends on the parents and the kids, but I'd have had no problem if a restaurant imposed an age limit.

PrincessLeppard
07-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Truly the only reasonable thing to be done with that vile vegetable....:yikes:

I live in Nebraska. I'm not allowed to hate corn.

VALuvsMKwan
07-13-2011, 03:58 AM
It is well within the rights of the restaurant to have a no children policy. Like Matry says, the public can vote with their wallets.

Let it be written - let it be so.

Garden Kitty
07-13-2011, 04:03 AM
I wish they'd ban cellphones in restaurants :D

Some restaurants definitely have a no cell phone policy, although it usually applies to talking on a cell phone and not to reading messages, texting or surfing the net on a cell phone.

rfisher
07-13-2011, 04:21 AM
How about screaming while your fellow diner smacks the phone with his shoe?

KHenry14
07-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Couple of thoughts...

I think a restaurant has the right to set a minimum age limit, and as a consumer, I can safely say that I will never patronize any establishment that does so.

A few quick stories...

BrokenAnkle and I, along with my parents took our 4 year old daughter and 2yr old son to a nice restaurant in Kenosha WI, who took one look at our little kids, and instead of seating us in the restaurant, put us in a side room. Part of the experience of that restaurant was a really nice view, and instead we got a cold dark windowless room....and were forgotten about. Our waitress kept apologizing everytime we had to leave the room to go find her so we could order, or get some water or food. She later admitted that the maitre'd saw our kids and assumed that they'd be bad so they shunted us into this unused room.

The exact same thing happened four years later but in Torrance CA. Same group of people, but older kids, yet the restaurant assumed they'd be a problem and basically hid us from the public.

Needless to say, we let both Maitre'ds know we'd never be back at their establishments. Funny thing, our kids were/are angels, never once in their entire lives have they acted up in public, so I admit this discrimination probably bother us more because of that.

No doubt, misbehaving kids can be a problem, and the responsiblity lies with the parents of course. But rather than deal with us poorly but still take our money, we'd have much rather they'd just turned us away.

mkats
07-13-2011, 04:23 AM
My dad, a lawyer, likes to tell this story whenever bad children and restaurants come up in a conversation.

He and a bunch of fellow law school students had gone out to dinner with a friend who was not a law school student and had a very badly behaved toddler... at one point in the meal the toddler literally crawled onto the table, amongst all the plates and stuff. The father (their friend) did nothing to stop him.

When he finally got enough dirty looks that he tried to encourage the kid to get off the table, the kid reacted by getting to his feet and kicking plates of food off at the guests.

The father's response?

He told his friends that they were all going to become lawyers and judges soon and begged them to have mercy on his son when he ended up in their court.

Grannyfan
07-13-2011, 04:39 AM
I think it's a good idea.