PDA

View Full Version : Great routines of the past you'd like to see today's skaters doing

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TheIronLady
07-19-2011, 04:29 AM
I'd love to see someone do Sonja Hennie's life story in a movie, including reenacting her most famous numbers. I don't think any of our skaters have the acting talent. Can you imagine Rachael Flatt portraying Sonja?

Ok, seriously, I would love to see some skater, any skater, attempt to do Katarina Witt's showgirl number from Calgary 1988 complete with the high cut g-string. The sport has gone in a serious direction thanks to the influence of heavy Russian choreographers, and perhaps it's time for some lighter fare with sex appeal.

essence_of_soy
07-19-2011, 06:05 AM
This is a great idea for a tribute show, to have skaters recreate iconic programs that their mentors skated. Sure, it kind of seems like sacrilege, but itís also a beautiful way of connecting the past and present. It happens all the time in ballet that a piece is created for one dancer, and it lives on in repertory. The original dancer isnít forgotten; if anything it helps the dancerís legacy live on.

Here are my picks:

Katarina Witt's Carmen 1988 LP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rMfIyX4rM) performed by Carolina Kostner

The irony of having Kostner skate to Witt's free, is that Katarina has more technical merit in that performance than Caroline did this year at Worlds.

TheIronLady
07-19-2011, 06:24 AM
The irony of having Kostner skate to Witt's free, is that Katarina has more technical merit in that performance than Caroline did this year at Worlds.

Caroline Zhang maybe. Carolina had a 3F, so I cannot take your statement seriously.

essence_of_soy
07-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Caroline Zhang maybe. Carolina had a 3F, so I cannot take your statement seriously.

I can't take Kostner's podium result at Worlds seriously.

Sad to think this is a skater who used to have a 3lutz/3toe and a 3flip/3toe.

Her landings were all over the place in Moscow.

Witt's jumps were rock solid.

mia joy
07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I think a huge part of what makes those great routines of the past so special is that the skaters performing them added their own styles and personalities to them. Making them skated by someone else would destroy them. I think 90% of what was so amazing about those programs was the given skaters' unique skating styles, on-ice charm, emotional engagement.

For example, let's take Yu-na and Michelle Kwan. Both amazing, graceful skaters with lots of charm and yet I cannot imagine Yu-Na pulling off any of Michelle's greatest routines, simple because those were her routines and a huge part of their greatness was her interpretation and style.

I mean, many people don't even like the skaters of today using music of the masterpieces of the past, let alone the entire programs!

miki88
07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
For example, let's take Yu-na and Michelle Kwan. Both amazing, graceful skaters with lots of charm and yet I cannot imagine Yu-Na pulling off any of Michelle's greatest routines, simple because those were her routines and a huge part of their greatness was her interpretation and style.

I mean, many people don't even like the skaters of today using music of the masterpieces of the past, let alone the entire programs!

Interesting. Maybe that's the reason why I couldn't warm up to Yuna's Scheherazade program, which was a clear tribute to Kwan's (the red costume, ending pose).

Susan M
07-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Just as ballet dancers reprise famous dances...why can't great figure skaters occasionally try to perform some of the wonderful routines of the past?
I have long thought it sad that skating choreography is not valued enough to preserve and recreate. I thought this would have made a good premise for one of SOI's anniversary shows - a new cast recreating classic numbers from the past (well, new except Kurt, who could still skate his same parts).

Obviously, they would not really work as competitive programs today, but they could still be exhibitions done as tributes the the original choreographers. I have often thought it would make a great TV special to have more recent skaters recreate great programs of the past, perhaps even work with the original choreographers/skaters if possible.

Matching skaters to programs would be tricky. I honestly do not think any of today's pairs could do justice to any G/G or Mish/Dm choreo. Beresnaya/Sikharulidze were the last pair to get close to the G/G standard of pair-ness/elegance and Artur remains totally unique. Sui/Han ??? Volosozhar and Trankov ??? Not remotely credible, IMO.

I was also trying to think who could handle Chris Dean's paso doble OSP and drew a blank. Gwendal P was the only guy I could even begin to see carrying it off. (Yes, I know there's a girl involved, but this dance is all about the man.

I have long thought Weir could to justice to John Curry's Don Quixote free skate.

As I watched Robin I thought "Gee, I'd love to see Evan Lysacek skating to 'Satan Takes a Holiday' someday!"
I think Kulik would be an even better candidate for this program. I'm not sure Evan can move as loosely and lightly as this number requires.

AliasJohnDoe
07-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I'd like to see Alissa Czisny skate to Katarina Witt's "Robin Hood" SP. Tights and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94l4FauvHc

TheIronLady
07-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd like to see Alissa Czisny skate to Katarina Witt's "Robin Hood" SP. Tights and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94l4FauvHc

Me too! It would be wonderful and give Alissa something unexpected to do.

skatesindreams
07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Here's an example of why this idea rarely works:

John Curry - Tilt-A-Whirl with Peggy Fleming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRyOzq_ofQ

Tilt-A-Whirl - Ice Theatre of New York
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJoj03W-iPw

There's no comparison.
I say that, aware that John Curry believed in "Repertory", and a Company of Skating.

Susan M
07-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Here's an example of why this idea rarely works:
I don't really think comparing skaters regarded as great stylists (of their day or of any era) with mediocre skaters nobody ever heard of makes much of a case. I don't know what Ice Theater's hiring qualifications are, but that girl could not even hold up her leg in attitude position*, which was used a lot in this choreo. (*at least she did not do it in the places Fleming had in the portion I watched before getting bored)

I think the suggestions here, of asking today's best skaters to recreate historically great choreography, could produce some entertaining results.

attyfan
07-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Actually, it might be an interesting Disson show, with the "best skaters of today" doing the "best performances of the past". Maybe, Yu-Na could do Michelle Kwan's "Tosca" (from Worlds, 2004) with Peter T as the streaker? Or Ryan Bradley?

Frau Muller
07-22-2011, 05:52 PM
The Shibutanis are so smooth and technically brilliant, in a slightly old-fashioned way, that I could see them tackling some of the pre-Bolero routines by Torvill/Dean, such as Mack & Mabel or Barnum. In fact, I thought a lot about T/D as I watched the Shibs skate their amazing Let's Face the Music and Dance FD this past season.