PDA

View Full Version : Chorus Line Fans or Italians from New Jersey question

Pages : [1] 2

The Accordion
07-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey everyone.
I am directing A Chorus Line and I wondered if anyone can tell me if Mike from New Jersey's Italian name - "Costafalone" is pronounced.

Costafalonay or Costafalone - rhymes with phone.
Thanks!

soxxy
07-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Costa - fa - lo - nee

Here's a clip from the OBC - Introductions - where Mike introduces himself and pronounces his last name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUb5er8bNE&feature=related
(at about 1:35)

Where are you directing this? I love seeing productions of ACL.

soxxy, an Italian from Rhode Island

GarrAarghHrumph
07-12-2011, 02:06 PM
This thread title cracked me up. "Chorus Line Fans or Italians from New Jersey". It's so random, until you open the thread. ;)

The Accordion
07-13-2011, 08:16 AM
:) Thanks so much!!!

Yeah - I struggled with the thread title :lol:

I am directing the show for a youth summer theatre on Vancouver Island. I have such a great cast! But we have to put the show together in about 2 weeks - so it's long days!

I knew I could count on FSU for the answer!

Allen
07-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Hey everyone.
I am directing A Chorus Line and I wondered if anyone can tell me if Mike from New Jersey's Italian name - "Costafalone" is pronounced.

Thanks!

Here is a link to a bad quality video of the original cast doing their introductions. Wayne Cilento is playing Mike here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QUb5er8bNE

Huge ACL fan here, so I'll be excited to hear how your production turns out. I'm always interested to see how different people portray Sheila, Val, and Judy.

Fergus
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
My 100% Sicilian better-half from Bay Ridge says that his family would pronounce it 1/2 way between "Costafalon-eh" and "Costafalon-ay". :lol:

Basically, there's some sort of "eh" at the end of it...just don't rhyme it with "phone"! :)

caseyedwards
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Does he say his last name in the movie version?

Allen
07-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Does he say his last name in the movie version?

I don't think so, but the movie version is :scream:

taf2002
07-13-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't think so, but the movie version is :scream:

That's partly because Michael Douglas is not believable in the least as a choreographer.

dbell1
07-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Ahh, that dreadful movie. It still gives me nightmares. :scream:

Have a great production! Loved the original Broadway album (and, yep, I had the album ). :P

Cachoo
07-13-2011, 07:36 PM
This thread title cracked me up. "Chorus Line Fans or Italians from New Jersey". It's so random, until you open the thread. ;)

^This^

Allen
07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
That's partly because Michael Douglas is not believable in the least as a choreographer.

They also changed Cassie's situation quite a bit, which made her really unsympathetic in my opinion. Making Bebe a lead and inserting a backstory didn't work for me at all. The new choreography was horrendous. I really wish they had let Michael Bennett had more influence on the film version. The only performance that really resonated with me was Vicki Frederick as Sheila. She was a Cassie on Broadway, but was to me, almost as good as Kelly Bishop as Sheila. Val is one of my favorite characters and Audrey Landers did okay, but she made Val seem stupid, which she isn't.

pingu
07-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey everyone.

Thanks!

The final "e" sounds like the "é" in Stéphane. The accent should be on the second "o".
the sound "ee" (like "bee"), is an "i" in italian.

skatesindreams
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Indispensable viewing for all who love ACL:

"A Chorus Line" on Donahue (1990)
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=A+Chorus+Line+on+Donahue+&aq=f

taf2002
07-14-2011, 05:03 AM
Thanks for posting these videos. I love ACL. One thing I learned today...Kelly Bishop who played Sheila was Jennifer Gray's mom in Dirty Dancing.