PDA

View Full Version : Skaters/Couples who were PCS gifted or ungifted

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

paskatefan
07-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I felt DelSchoes often deserved higher PCS than they were given.

ITA!

misskarne
07-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Evan Lysacek was always gifted with PCS. Those frenetic moves look very awkard on ice.

I am still traumatised by that Olympic LP. :lol:My first introduction to men's figure skating (okay not quite, we'd seen Lambiel, Weir, Takahasi and Chan before that) and we were greeted by this flaily, slimy, greasy, touch-myself-all-over, creepy guy. All the self touching was seriously creepy, gotta say.:yikes:

Never really understood how anyone could call Plushenko "flaily" but call Lysacek "artistry".:confused:

halffull
07-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Evan Lysacek was always gifted with PCS. Those frenetic moves look very awkard on ice.

Agreed!!!

Chan deserves every PC mark he gets :D

Susan M
07-14-2011, 10:58 PM
IMO, errors like falls, step-outs, two-footing, and cheated jumps should have negative impact on PCS marks. Afterall, how can skaters peform choreography or display skating skills when they are cleaning off the ice with their butts?

I agree. Most jumping errors also detract from the choreography (and pretty much always from the mood) of the program and that should be reflected in lower PCS as well as the TES. Often when a skater has jump problems, the skater also just seems to be not quite on top of thing in other aspects of the program as well. Even when that general roughness does not translate to falls, those skates should not get the same PCS as that skater's better skates.

Even without a fall, one of those clinging for dear life landings takes extra seconds and is often followed by a bit of rushed choreo to catch up, sometimes reducing the choreographic impact of the next element as well. There also are some top skaters whose post-fall body language just looks like they have stopped selling the program and are just going thru the motions. That too should be reflected in PCS scores

Except for maybe execution, which is held up because the judges don't want to be out of the window, Chan deserves high PCS all the time.

:lol: Even good skaters have days where they are skating tight and are "not quite over their blades today" as the announcers like to say and Chan is not immune to this.

museksk8r
07-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Never really understood how anyone could call Plushenko "flaily" but call Lysacek "artistry".:confused:

I TOTALLY agree with you! I find both Evgeny and Evan similarly annoying in the flail category.

Kasey
07-15-2011, 01:05 AM
I TOTALLY agree with you! I find both Evgeny and Evan similarly annoying in the flail category.

Ditto. And seriously overmarked on transitions as well.

Fozzie Bear
07-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Ryan Jahnke was another one who was hosed in PCS. If only he had a consistent axel, he might have received Buttle-esque scores.

Ozzisk8tr
07-15-2011, 05:08 AM
I am still traumatised by that Olympic LP. :lol:My first introduction to men's figure skating (okay not quite, we'd seen Lambiel, Weir, Takahasi and Chan before that) and we were greeted by this flaily, slimy, greasy, touch-myself-all-over, creepy guy. All the self touching was seriously creepy, gotta say.:yikes:

Yet you like Plush's style with all those hip rolls and genital thrusts? Yes, right, that's got it. :shuffle:

misskarne
07-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Yet you like Plush's style with all those hip rolls and genital thrusts? Yes, right, that's got it. :shuffle:

At least Plushy looked like he was having fun with the hip rolls. He was fun to watch. Lysacek looked like he was taking the self-touching extremely seriously. It was creepy.

Kasey
07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
At least Plushy looked like he was having fun with the hip rolls. He was fun to watch. Lysacek looked like he was taking the self-touching extremely seriously. It was creepy.

"Fun" is in the eye of the beholder. Truly not an objective criteria.

Zokko!
07-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Extremely gifted by the judges:
Lysacek, Chan. And Plushenko. :shuffle:

briancoogaert
07-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Gifted : Kavaguti & Smirnov, in the Olympic season.

RumbleFish
07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Gifted : Kavaguti & Smirnov, in the Olympic season.

agreed. ;)

ChelleC
07-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Your definition of fun to watch, and mine are light years away from each other. :lol:

Susan M
07-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I think, over the span of his career, that Johnny Weir was both PCS gifted and ungifted. In the early years of the system, Weir was about the only guy getting PCS marks close to Plushenko, then after about 06 or 07, he seemed to lose a point or two across the board.

I know they periodically rewrite the guidance for marking PCS, so that may have accounted for some of that, but it just always struck me as kind of odd the way the judges turned on him.