PDA

View Full Version : HGTV Design Star: Ace Hardware, Fuscia, Cottonballs, Rnd 4

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Matryeshka
07-12-2011, 02:06 AM
Tis the season for competition reality TV! Early poll set--which will be more of the Ultimate Talent Competition Trainwreck: this, FN, or SYTYCD.

Looking at the fashion shenanigans alone, I have HIGH HOPES for some epically bad four walls this season.

Let the mixed print wars begin!

PrincessLeppard
07-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Who got auf'ed? I missed the ending. Or the frightening orange wall scared me out of the room. One or the other.

emason
07-12-2011, 04:40 AM
I've already forgotten her name; the one who had the stupid tea lights stapled to the walls and the badly executed wallpaper in the frames IIRC.

Matryeshka
07-12-2011, 04:46 AM
I'm shocked--Design Star might be going for the unthinkable...legitimacy. They actually had the worst two as the bottom two, and kicked off the youngest, most attractive, most boring contestant.

There doesn't seem as yet to be a villain a la Penny.

My world is askew. If they kick off the right person and focus on design rather than good TV, I don't know if I can watch. I'll give it a few more chances, but if someone doesn't throw some cottonballs, I might have to give this season up.

emason
07-12-2011, 12:54 PM
There doesn't seem as yet to be a villain a la Penny.

I thought Ms. I Used to be in TV and have 3 Emmys might be the villain candidate.

Fergus
07-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I've already forgotten her name; the one who had the stupid tea lights stapled to the walls and the badly executed wallpaper in the frames IIRC.

Au revoir, Blanche!

The second she put those fakakta tealights on the wall, I knew she was toast.

Rob
07-12-2011, 03:43 PM
And that wallpaper art with the bubbles and rips -- yikes.

Matryeshka
07-19-2011, 02:32 AM
BUMP! I love the white box challenge, and I like that they're doing it early so you can see the designers' individual styles. Much better than that stupid team concept they had last season.

Though I'm not OK with cheese ball abuse. That's just WRONG. :(

Fergus
07-19-2011, 04:47 PM
^ LOVED Mark's Air Force mural! :swoon:

I've been begging my better-half for ages to let me do a really bold and dramatic mural on our apt's big wall (which we affectionately call "The Bulkhead" :lol: ). Everytime he comes home after one his late nights, he worries about what I paint mischief I've been up to!

I liked Cathy's idea of the spice mosiac...but I'm sort of not loving Cathy herself. :shuffle:

I thought Bret would have done something with the bomb motif, other than just tracing them on the wall. Maybe he could have filled them in with some kind of camoflage pattern or maybe even a metallic paint?

Cheese Puff gal with the Lucky Strikes voice? Ugh. Shmearing the coffee didn't help! :lol:

LadyGray
07-19-2011, 07:44 PM
I thought Ms. I Used to be in TV and have 3 Emmys might be the villain candidate.

Ahem! FIVE Emmys thankyouverymuch :drama:

;) :P :saint:

emason
07-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Ahem! FIVE Emmys thankyouverymuch :drama:

;) :P :saint:

So sorry! That shows you how much credence I give to an Emmy win.

reckless
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I think Cathy is getting the villain edit. Not only is she being portrayed as arrogant because of her Emmys, but she's also <gasp> somewhat conservative in her designs. I always like the white-box challenge, but I also find it a bit unfair that a designer has to "go crazy" to win. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with a designer that creates a functional room out of unusual supples if that is who the designer is. And, frankly, I think a lot of viewers would get more out of Cathy showing them how to make a pseudo-mosaic coffee table using broken plates than they would out of a giant wall mural that most of us don't have the skill to do. (And I personally loved the mural and the boldness of the room.)

I also think it's a bit unfair to Cathy to label her as arrogant, when she only mentioned her Emmys during a confessional. I'm sure she was asked about her experience in front of the camera and responded. I actually like that it was presented up-front since the alternative would be to pretend she was some random designer who was surprisingly natural in front of a camera and then have people accuse her of being a ringer.

What surprises me is that Ms. Former Dallas Cowboy chearleader is not getting the villain edit.

skatesindreams
07-19-2011, 11:37 PM
I didn't find Cathy's room boring or conservative, either.
Duplicating Keith Haring wasn't "creative".
I admired Haring greatly; but, copying him makes me question what Doug's design style is.

Matryeshka
07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
I actually think it would be a more difficult challenge to create a functional room out of non-traditional items than to just go crazy. Seeing a crazy room doesn't really give me a sense of what I can do in my own home--I'm sure as hell not going to be turning a futon into a plane with bowls for representational wings anytime soon. The camera challenge was at odds with the design challenge--you can't tell the designers, go insane, make a non-functional room...and then tell the designers they have to give a practical tip.

My two favorite rooms didn't make it to the top--the guy that did the lighting fixture out of plastic to-go boxes and the girl that dipped her feet in the paint and walked across. I found that room so intriguing--occasionally, I go to a writer's group and we do these odd little writing activities. I would love to bring a picture of that room as a ten-minute create-the-story exercise.

Fergus
08-02-2011, 06:58 PM
*BUMP!*

Ooooh, Uncle Fester vs. Claire Huxtable! :watch:

I'm surprised Miss Lucky Strikes pulled it off so well, but she did! Well deserved win. :)

I'll miss the little hipster dude. :(