PDA

View Full Version : Actress Greta Scacchi's Shocking Revelation: My Cousin Fathered My Son

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Beefcake
07-11-2011, 10:10 PM
IIRC, Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt were fifth cousins....were they not?
Yes. That's probably the sekret reason why those two weren't having torrid, hot, animal sex all the time. :saint:

Beefcake
07-11-2011, 10:21 PM
My cousins are more like brothers than my own brothers sometimes. It is just rrreally hard for me to imagine. :scream:
ITA. But my cousin, who is my age but went to a neighboring high school, apparently thought that first base wouldn't be too gross. Junior year she suggested to me that "we should 'practice' make out, so that we'll be better with the opposite sex." As I recall, she didn't notice my :yikes: the first time she made that suggestion, but caught it clearly the second time, a few weeks later.

That said, I fear wonder what would've happened if it were her older brother who had made that suggestion. :slinkaway

John 3 17
07-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Not sure what the fuss is either.

One set of great-grandparents on my mother's side were first cousins. It was quite common within their family, for first cousins to marry. I'd like to think I turned out ok!

Mine, too -- maternal great-grandparents were first cousins. They came to America from Ireland, and married once they were here.

Reading as many historical books from England as I do, I see it all the time. don't see it as that big a deal.

-Bridget

numbers123
07-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Common perhaps, but still icky. I mean, their parents are siblings! There are too many people in the world to date than someone who has the same grandparents as you.

The world is smaller because of modern transportation. But it wasn't always so small. At least in rural communities it was difficult to find a larger dating/marriage pool.

If you and your next door neighbor grew up together, played together, fought each other and later married, is that an ick factor? You grew up together, practically lived with each other, your parents knew each other - probably having family dinners together, etc.

Personally my older male cousin was not someone, even if we were not cousins, that I would consider dating material. The other male cousins were younger than me and I found them to be too "childish".

PRlady
07-11-2011, 11:31 PM
My daughter's cousins on my side of the family are not blood-related, since they're my stepsiblings' kids. I once pointed out to her that she could marry her eldest cousin, a Prince-William-look-alike who's a very nice and smart guy. Ewwwwww, was her reaction; they've grown up as cousins from birth and the incest taboo kicked right in.

My ex-husband had a short fling with his first cousin, though. I thought it was icky at the time and still do.

danceronice
07-11-2011, 11:38 PM
IIRC, incest doesn't necessarily mean anything as far as genetic problems or illness goes. I read a study that debunked that a while back.

You're not any more likely to have genetic problems with first cousins than anyone else unless the family's already known to carry a nasty double recessive. Full siblings and parent/child, obviously, there's a much higher risk of passing those on.

The Westermarck effect would only apply if you actually were closely raised with cousins from an early age. I wouldn't know most of my first cousins if I tripped over them, so that varies by family.

I wouldn't suggest you keep doing it repeatedly, but we linebreed and inbreed animals all the time and don't get freaks and monsters.

Clytie
07-11-2011, 11:59 PM
I have two first cousins who did'nt get married but they did live together and have a child about twenty years ago. Most of the family thought it was gross, especially since they had grown up together. Of course both those families did some stuff the rest of us considered less than normal. And in my dad's crazy family that is something. The kid is fine but I do think she has about five half-siblings between her parents other relationships.

What I was most surprised about from the OP was D'Onofrio. I knew he was off because I was a L&O:CI fan and I had read stuff about him that was ****!!! The way he treated his girlfriend and child was shocking though. He just up and left because he could'nt stand crying and did'nt want a family anymore? I had gotten the impression that his daughter lived with him and his current wife part of the time. Maybe I was wrong. But honestly what an ass****.

As for Greta I don't think its really bad. I am sure she saw stuff in Hollywood that would that story look tame.

skatingfan5
07-12-2011, 12:50 AM
Perhaps the fact that I don't have any cousins (my parents were only children) makes it hard for me to feel the "ick factor" that so many have expressed in this thread. A high school friend married her stepbrother (their parents married while my friend and her stepbrother were in 9th or 10th grade). Even though they were not related at all biologically, it did make me just a bit uncomfortable at the time.

Rex
07-12-2011, 01:46 AM
Yes. That's probably the sekret reason why those two weren't having torrid, hot, animal sex all the time. :saint:
:rofl: STOP IT!!!

moojja
07-12-2011, 04:26 AM
You're not any more likely to have genetic problems with first cousins than anyone else unless the family's already known to carry a nasty double recessive. Full siblings and parent/child, obviously, there's a much higher risk of passing those on.

The Westermarck effect would only apply if you actually were closely raised with cousins from an early age. I wouldn't know most of my first cousins if I tripped over them, so that varies by family.

I wouldn't suggest you keep doing it repeatedly, but we linebreed and inbreed animals all the time and don't get freaks and monsters.

I disagree. For example, if you compare the chihuahua to the wolf. They're just freaks and monsters that we want. :)

Although first cousins are not likely to have any genetic issues. It took a long time for a wolf to become a chihuahua and we were breeding for it.

duane
07-12-2011, 09:56 PM
If you and your next door neighbor grew up together, played together, fought each other and later married, is that an ick factor?
No, as long as the next door neighbor and I don't have the same biological parents or grandparents. Likewise, if I were to meet a long lost sibling or cousin who I had never met or known beforehand, the idea of a romantic relationship is ick to me and wouldn't cross my mind.

But in the end, to each his own. I've read stories of siblings having sex and/or marrying. Gross to me. Obviously, not to them.

Civic
07-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Yes, there can be medical problems if first cousins have a child, but it's not illegal in Europe so it's hardly a scandal.

I'm guessing it's not the potential for medical problems that had their family up in arms, but the boundary crossing. Among other things, it changes the relationships between she and his parents; he and her parents; etc.

Between this and what she said about her relationship with Vincent D'Onfrorio, it makes me wonder about Sacchi's judgement when it comes to sexual/romantic relationships.

MacMadame
07-13-2011, 01:42 AM
What if cousins simply fall in love?
People fall in love all the time and don't end up doing anything about it for various reasons.

taf2002
07-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Who is Greta Scacchi?

BTW first cousins used to marry all the time. As long as there aren't double first cousins it's ok genetically.

Louise
07-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Yeah, not too shocked here. Many of my family are interrelated. My sis one time had a romance with a first cousin. My parents were not thrilled but they didn't object. I guess it's how you were raised. Also, we didn't grow up around our cousins, so we weren't that close to begin with. As for children, the risk is higher when there is intersangunation, but the farther out you get the less risk of a recessive allele meeting the same allele diminishes.
If Greta had an affair and child with her brother, then I'd be shocked. But cousins? Eh.