PDA

View Full Version : London (The Real One!) Travel Tips and Advice

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

kylet3
07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi All,

I'm going to be heading to London (and Paris) on a Contiki Tour. I have about three (or so) days in London. I land at 2 PM and I'm hoping I won't be jet lagged (plan to sleep on the plane as much as possible)because I really want to get out and see all I can of course. I plan to tour Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, The Tower of London, Big Ben, Harrods, Maybe Hyde Park? There's also a side trip to Stonehenge but I think I'll skip that and go to Windsor Castle instead.

Does anythone think this can all be done in that time frame? Is this all accessible by subway/bus? Is it difficult to get around? I don't have much time before I depart off to Paris for about 5 days. Any help of course would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Kyle

PDilemma
07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
My friend and I spent about three and a half days of our ten day England trip in London. We did Buckingham, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben the first day after arriving about two p.m. The Tower for a morning and Harrods and few other sights that afternoon. So you certainly have time for Windsor and a bit more.

The subway is easy to use and if you aren't afraid of walking a bit, things are even easier. You can easily walk the area around the Abbey and Parliament, and even from there to the Palace, Trafalgar and go by 10 Downing on the way.

We didn't go to Windsor, but I believe you will have to take a train to get there.

JasperBoy
07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I was just in London for a week and did very different things this time. Saw parts of London that I had never seen before. But for a first-timer, you want to see the main attractions.

I imagine your ConTiki tour will include a half day bus tour of London at some point. That might be enough to view Big Ben and Buckingham Palace, since you really can't get inside them anyway.

How about a Hop On Hop Off bus? It will take you to many tourist highlights and you can jump off at the ones you want to see. There seems to be a bus every 20 to 60 mins, depending on the route. That's better for a first-timer than using the tube, where you won't see anything.

The Tower is a good distance from most of the other landmarks. You can rent a self-guided audio tour at the gate or join a Beefeater tour (if you can understand him!) I don't know what to say about Stonehenge vs Windsor Castle. It all depends on your interests. Stonehenge was a bit of a letdown, but it is still very significant. Windsor Castle is very crowded but thrilling.

Oh, and don't forget Trafalgar Square. There are so many important buildings and memorials there. It will be on every bus tour and is a beehive of activity.

Two other suggestions: Take the London Eye (a HopOn HopOff stop). Walk across the Millennium Bridge from St Paul's to Bankside. It's a bit out of the way on the transportation link, however.

Have fun.

kylet3
07-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Actually I have plans to tour the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace since it will be open to the Public at that time while Liz is up at Balmoral... :shuffle:

Cheylana
07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Love, love, love London! A few thoughts off the top of my head:

Try to find out which spots in London your Contiki tour will focus on, so you don't spend a bunch of time seeing something that you'll repeat on the tour.

I cannot recommend The Tower of London enough -- great fun!! Though I love English royal history (have read several Alison Weir books) and love seeing where famous English people were kept locked up.

Westminster Abbey is also worthwhile IMO (but again I love English royal history).

Hyde Park is beautiful and worth a walk-through. Rivals Central Park, IMO.

Harrod's is also fun for a stroll. (Although they have a weird Princess Diana shrine that I thought was a little :scream:)

If Buckingham Palace is open for tours when you go (it's only open during certain parts of the year), do it; the interior is beautiful. ETA - Oh, I see you already have this covered! You'll love it! :)

Thought the London Eye was overrated -- nice view of the city but glass is cloudy so unless you have a state of the art camera, I wouldn't expect to take amazing photos from up there. Especially if you go at night. And it's mad expensive (IMO)! :slinkaway

All of this is definitely accessible by train (Tube). Strangers are very friendly and helpful in my experience.

If you have time for a junket outside London and you are so inclined, I recommend a day trip to Bath. Love Bath. Not sure how much the train ticket would cost, and I'm assuming this isn't already part of your Contiki tour.

pollyanna
07-11-2011, 06:15 PM
St. Paul's Cathedral, where Prince Charles and Princess Diana wed, is also breathtaking. I believe the cathedral just underwent a massive restoration project, so it should be quite a sight this summer.

Allskate
07-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Try to go to Evensong when you go to Westminster Abbey. The choir is wonderful.

If you like good theatre, you might check into what plays are going to be on while you're in London.

Cheylana
07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
St. Paul's Cathedral, where Prince Charles and Princess Diana wed, is also breathtaking. I believe the cathedral just underwent a massive restoration project, so it should be quite a sight this summer.
Second this. You can climb the stairs to the top, which is a bit of a workout but worthwhile.

Marge_Simpson
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
My very first trip to Europe was on a Contiki tour, in 1985 - I had no idea they still existed. Of course I am WAY past their age limits now. :lol:

StarshineXavier
07-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I'd also add the Natural History Museum and Science Museum to the list if you're into that. They've got great collections and interactive exhibits. They're free too!

There is a bus tour that goes to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath all in one day. I've done the tour myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's a link to one of the companies that run the tour: http://www.sightseeingtourslondon.com/windsor-stonehenge-bath-tour-p-38.html

If you're going to be taking the tube/busses a lot, get a daily travel card. You can select the travel card for the zones of your preference and have unlimited travel for that day. Zone 1-2 daily travel card is 8 pounds. Not bad when a single trip paying cash is 4 pounds.

Another shopping place to visit is Westfields. It's a huge mall with designer stores just off of the Shepherd's Bush tube station.

I live in London, so if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. :)

IceAlisa
07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Harrods has a nice food court so if you are going, don't miss it. I second a day trip to Bath. Loved it.

millyskate
07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Bath is nice. I actually really liked the London Eye, but the weather has to be right (and I went when it was cheaper).
I also recommend trying to see a Shakespeare play, for instance at the Shakespeare Globe. http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/exhibition/tickets-booking

Cheylana
07-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Ok, one more thing on Bath and then I'll shut up (maybe). If you go, consider taking your tea at Sally Lunn's tea house (http://www.sallylunns.co.uk/). Go one flight up to the Jane Austen tea room and treat yourself to some of their delicious tea and one of their amazing buns! You won't be sorry! :swoon:

Artemis@BC
07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Wow, 3 days isn't very long, you probably won't have time for much more than the top tourist spots.

For Westminster vs. Stonehenge, they're so different it's hard to compare, but it does depend a lot on your tastes. The disadvantage of Stonehenge for you is the time it takes to travel there.

If you do have some gaps in your schedule, here are some of my favourite things that might not be on the obvious top 10 list:
~ At least one London Walk (http://www.walks.com/). They're mostly "off the beaten path" tours of neighbourhoods, led by enthusiastic guides, and very reasonable. The evening ghost or Jack the Ripper ones are fun too. Esp. the ones that end in a pub. ;)
~ A Thames river cruise -- nicer than a bus tour IMO. And if you don't get to go into the Tower of London, the cruise will at least take you by it.
~ If you really want to splurge, treat yourself to a tea at Clariges, Harrods, or Fortnum & Mason's.
~ Do at least one market. Portabello Road is good for the classic market experience, or Camden.
~ All the public museums and art galleries are great, plus they're free! (donations requested) My faves are The British, V&A, Museum of the City of London, and the Tate Modern.
~ Go to Evensong at Westminster Abbey or St. Paul's. Beautiful.
~ Go to Highgate Cemetery on a Sunday afternoon for a tour of the west cemetery. Amazing.

And I personally like The London Eye. It's touristy, but everyone should do it once. Buy your ticket in advance to save the lineup (well, one of the lineups anyway).

victoriajh
07-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Actually I have plans to tour the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace since it will be open to the Public at that time while Liz is up at Balmoral... :shuffle:

i have been in - it is FABULOUS!!! the throne room was such a dream come true for me :)
I love love love london-

I alwasy go to oxford circus and have a boo down the shops- I also really like carnby street- super cute boutiques and irregular choice (which is the BEST shoes ever)

knightsbridge is also lovely to windwo shop in ( monsson down there is the best one in london)

victoria station is lovely and if you are a harrry potter fan then you gotta go there

I aslo highly reccemnd wicked at the victoria apollo ( rachel tucker is amazing as elphaba)

if you are a royal fan-then you gotta go to westminster abbey it is fantastic (elizabeth the first is worth the price of admission right there)