PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Spinner
12-06-2011, 06:18 AM
*cough*

Oh :P I meant ease of use. I still have more tree-books to get through than I have years left to live. ;)

Lurking Skater
12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I am not sure how the Kindle lending works, as I don't have a Kindle, but I accidentally clicked on a Kindle library book the other day and it looks like it takes you right to the Amazon site, where you can download the book directly, even though it counts as a library book?

That's how it works. You choose your book and it sends you to Amazon's site to sign in and then it downloads to your Kindle. It's pretty simple.

Prancer
12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Oh :P I meant ease of use. I still have more tree-books to get through than I have years left to live. ;)

Of course you do. So do I.

I am on my way to Barnes and Noble to bitch about my USB cable. My first one went out; they sent me a new one and now it's doing the exact same thing after what--two months?

Will you be there to be snarled at? :soapbox:

ETA: Love Barnes and Noble :cheer2:. They tested my cable, agreed it had gone bad and gave me a new one on the spot. I think we figured out why they keep going bad for me, too :).

orbitz
12-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm enjoy reading my Nook Touch on the metro ride to/ from work. My very minor complaint so far are the ridges on both side of the Nook to forward or backward a page; I find them somewhat unpleasant to press down, but I actually prefer them to touching the screen to naviage fwd/bckward though. So I guess maybe I don't really need the Touch option :)

I thought I would miss the feeling of having an actual book in my hands, but I haven't really at all. My prime concern is that I'll spend too much money on eBooks to justify me forking out $ for the Nook, LOL.

ArtisticFan
12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
I love my kindle fire. My only complaint is the location of the power button.

Prancer
12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Don't buy a Kindle Fire just yet: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/technology/personaltech/amazons-fire-some-say-may-become-the-edsel-of-tablets.html

Spinner
12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Don't buy a Kindle Fire just yet: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/technology/personaltech/amazons-fire-some-say-may-become-the-edsel-of-tablets.html

I read this (and re-posted) on Twitter earlier. It's the second non-favorable review of it I've read so far, though this one is the better and more convincing of the two.

Prancer
12-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I read this (and re-posted) on Twitter earlier. It's the second non-favorable review of it I've read so far, though this one is the better and more convincing of the two.

I've read a lot of reviews and it's been pretty much split down the middle--half give it an unenthusiastic endorsement and the other half give it a qualified thumbs down. Everyone seems right in the middle except the iPad lovers (who invariably hate it) and the Amazon lovers (who love the integrated features).

But after reading that article, I'd hold off on buying one because Amazon is sure to come out with a new and improved one very quickly. It's well known that their master plan is to take over publishing and media; they need a good tablet to do that.

Prancer
12-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd really be interested in hearing more about why he dislikes it. My workplace is jumping on the bandwagon with cloud and I think it's going to be a disaster if when it crashes.

Speaking of Twitter, I just found this article there and thought you might find it interesting: http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/39163/

DORISPULASKI
12-12-2011, 03:59 PM
If you get a Kindlefire for Christmas, buying a capacitive stylus fixes the touch screen issue by a lot.

I do think waiting is always a good policy with a new product (either hardware or software). V 2 is almost always better.

However, Fires are likely to sell...the highest rated Kindle, the 3G one for 139$, but 99$ if you don't mind an ad screen saver is now sold out. After that, the choice is to go more expensive (perhaps to the Fire or the $139 model, or less to the $79 basic.)

The Village Idiot
12-12-2011, 05:50 PM
ETA: Love Barnes and Noble :cheer2:. They tested my cable, agreed it had gone bad and gave me a new one on the spot. I think we figured out why they keep going bad for me, too :).
Why were they going bad?

NancyNC
12-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I finally made a decision and asked for a Nook Tablet for Christmas. I will be happy to post my review after I get a chance to use it. :) I was at B&N ogling various covers on Saturday...I always get a gift certificate there for Christmas so I will be putting it to good use lol.

Yazmeen
12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
DH bought me the Kindle with keyboard (but no ads) this summer for the main purpose of having it for travel and "sunny spot" reading on the beach or poolside as you can read the screen easily in bright sunlight. Love it, don't need anything more as we travel with a laptop to download his underwater photos on. Very happy with it.

VIETgrlTerifa
12-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Why were they going bad?

When I worked at Barnes, the issue seemed to be a manufacturing one with the way the wires were built or how they were used with the nook. Usually, we'd replace it once and returning customers did not have a problem with the replacement.

vesperholly
12-12-2011, 07:02 PM
Speaking of Twitter, I just found this article there and thought you might find it interesting: http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/39163/

Very interesting indeed, thank you. Some of the tech stuff is over my head, but I'm glad to see that the proprietary dominance is at least being questioned.

However, Fires are likely to sell...the highest rated Kindle, the 3G one for 139$, but 99$ if you don't mind an ad screen saver is now sold out. After that, the choice is to go more expensive (perhaps to the Fire or the $139 model, or less to the $79 basic.)

I got the ad model for my birthday in July, and I think I've see an ad ... twice? And I'm not even sure they were ads, because they advertised the Kindle. :lol: