PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Prancer
11-26-2011, 01:19 AM
I'd really be interested in hearing more about why he dislikes it. My workplace is jumping on the bandwagon with cloud and I think it's going to be a disaster if when it crashes.

That's exactly it, or at least part of it. If you store everything in the cloud, you are dependent on the availablity and reliability of the server where you have things stored. You are also, to at least some degree, hostage to your host. If everything you have is stored under someone else's lock and key, your access is controlled by that gatekeeper, not by you.

As an example, a Ph.D candidate I know had everything stored with Google. He had Google email. He had all his research and his dissertation on Google Docs. He had some other accounts with Google as well. Google suddenly eliminated all of his accounts for "violations of user agreement." He has asked repeatedly what the violations were, but gotten no reply. He has asked that he be allowed to download his documents, research and email; he has been refused. Everything is gone, for all intents and purposes, and he has no way to get it back.

As Doris said, the cloud (under another name) was very big news back in the early days of the internet, but the disadvantages presented themselves immediately. Things are both more stable (servers are more reliable and better, as are internet connections)and more fluid (smartphones have us all using cloud storage, whether we like it or not) now, but my husband thinks that the disadvantages are the same and that it's crazy to put your faith in the cloud.

OTOH, we are talking about someone who really does do regular backups, has EVERYTHING stored in multiple places and considers data loss to be the biggest irritation about computers.

vesperholly
11-26-2011, 05:03 AM
As an example, a Ph.D candidate I know had everything stored with Google. He had Google email. He had all his research and his dissertation on Google Docs. He had some other accounts with Google as well. Google suddenly eliminated all of his accounts for "violations of user agreement." He has asked repeatedly what the violations were, but gotten no reply. He has asked that he be allowed to download his documents, research and email; he has been refused. Everything is gone, for all intents and purposes, and he has no way to get it back.

That is terrifying. Makes me glad I'm "old-fashioned" and still download my Gmail to Outlook. Thanks for the explanation.

They're gambling and there's the potential to lose big with cloud storage. It's especially interesting considering my workplace has trended toward more security, more passwords, more locking down of access in the past few years. I work for a newspaper group that is particularly proud of printing 365 days a year, many of our papers haven't missed an issue in decades. If everything is on the cloud and it goes down, there is no paper.

Hopefully there are plans for a local backup. I don't even want to guess how much :bribe: we'd lose in ad and classified sales without a paper. I just hope it happens on a day that I'm not working. :yikes:

DORISPULASKI
11-26-2011, 07:35 AM
Big firms that are supplying secure cloud storage should have multiple backups, and in case of disaster, should have them at widely separated locations. Sourceforge did, I know (CA and Chicago). Contemplating the earthquake & tsunami in Japan should make it clear that a single location for server and back up would be a bad idea.

For that matter, it was something that mainframers in the 1980's were doing already (apocalyptic disaster plans).

The Google story is dreadful, but the man who lost his dissertation should keep looking for it from the search engine point of view, not from trying to log on to his Google account. I know I was able to recover most of a website I lost to Google that way. However, my stuff was publicly accessible, and I expect his was secured; but it may not be lost forever, particularly if he arrives with a lawyer. They didn't erase my stuff, after all.

I lost all my Google account stuff last year when youtube decided to infract a video of Wing & Lowe's FD from 2003 that I had uploaded. (I'm guessing it was due to the inclusion of a couple bars of Imagine by John Lennon, since other Beatles, and especially Lennon youtube videos have been disappearing.) I had had another infraction when youtube first started cracking down on skating vids, about 5 years previously, so that was it. Two strikes and gone. And the infractions don't expire.

Yoko Ono is tuf

In fact, my grandson, who was 12 at the time, got a first strike infraction for playing and uploading to youtube John Lennon's "So This is Christmas" on the guitar.. .

The moral is, don't put any public content on Google under your normal Google account name. And save backups of everything.

And I got no response about my website from the Google people when I complained--they have a contact us button, but you never get anything but a canned response from the computer.

This was particularly angry making since it was Google that made users merge the accounts, or they would lose their youtube content. My website was made prior to when the accounts were merged.

My response has been to completely distrust Google for anything other than searching, and to take the hint with respect to cloud storage-be very wary.

Meredith
11-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I just bought a Kindle Fire as a Christmas gift for my son. It will be interesting to see how he integrates it into his life.

DORISPULASKI
11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
If he has big fingers, buy him a capacitative stylus for it. It made all the difference for my husband between liking his Kindle Fire and loving it. And it was about $6 on sale.

jlai
11-30-2011, 12:27 AM
I figured out how to sideload android apps so I can now read Asian fonts in epubs in Nook Tablet. :)

Darn, those refurb Nook Color went on sale for like 119 and I missed that sale by a few hours.

star_gazer11
11-30-2011, 04:59 AM
A blog that is pretty comprehensive in posting free ebooks and promos and sales I find useful: http://randomizeme.wordpress.com/

Theatregirl1122
12-06-2011, 03:26 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I feel so alone. :wuzrobbed

I'll probably outlast you. I'm freakishly dedicated to paper.

My mom, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be.

So while I was on the train to New York with my mom, she was looking at a girl with an e-reader and said something along the lines of "I think I might like a kindle. Then I could bring it with me!"

Since I have very few ideas for Christmas for her, I'm thinking of buying her one. I don't think she needs a tablet or anything. She's not that tech intense, I'm opposed to tablets, and I don't have the money for anything too expensive.

So I think I'm deciding between the kindle touch with special offers and the Nook simple touch. Both are the same price. I like that the Nook doesn't have ads, obviously. And that they do have in store support. Although, if I ordered the Kindle from Best Buy, she could get support there I assume. Which I might do anyways so that we could exchange it if she wanted the other one. The upsides of the kindle are the fact that she could play mp3s and audio books on it which she might like. Both can now borrow from the library but I do like that the nook supports more formats than the kindle.

Ultimately I just feel like there aren't huge advantages from one to the other. I'm wondering if the ads will be annoying on the kindle and if anyone has ever had a problems with not being able to use different formats on the Kindle.

My plan right now is just to buy one from best buy and then let her exchange it if she prefers the other. But I'd like to know what she's in for since she's not that tech savvy.

Prancer
12-06-2011, 03:38 AM
My plan right now is just to buy one from best buy and then let her exchange it if she prefers the other. But I'd like to know what she's in for since she's not that tech savvy.

How does she normally shop for books?

If she normally shops with Amazon, she would probably prefer to keep her account there and just keep using that service. The ads aren't particularly obtrusive and don't show up while you are reading. Most people who buy from Amazon aren't even aware of the format conflicts because they are so used to buying from Amazon, anyway.

If she likes going to bookstores, I would think she would prefer the Nook, as they have a lot of in-store tie-ins, as well as in-store support. She can read some books in the store and she will get coupons and specials on her e-reader. She will have more formats available to her, but that's not really an issue for most people. I get books from all over the place, so it is for me, but most people just stick to the store that sells their devices.

Don't count on Best Buy being able to do anything with an e-reader; that's not their thing and they tell people to contact Amazon or B&N with any device issues.

The Simple Touch gets the best reviews of the e-ink e-readers, for what that's worth. But I think they're pretty comparable in most ways.

Theatregirl1122
12-06-2011, 03:49 AM
She actually normally uses the library. I've checked and the library loans books for both. She uses amazon a fair amount and she goes to Barnes and Noble a fair amount.

The only thing I'm worried about with formats is if she'll be able to take advantage of free offers. If I find them for her.

galaxygirl
12-06-2011, 03:55 AM
TG, I own a Nook so I may be a little biased here, but I played a bit with the Kindle Touch a few weeks ago and I found it to be kind of flimsy feeling. There is are little arrow-buttons that I found a little clumsy to use and I didn't find the interface to be particularly intuitive. Best Buy has both the Nook and Kindle Touch on display so you can play with both.

Prancer
12-06-2011, 04:02 AM
She actually normally uses the library. I've checked and the library loans books for both. She uses amazon a fair amount and she goes to Barnes and Noble a fair amount.

The only thing I'm worried about with formats is if she'll be able to take advantage of free offers. If I find them for her.

If you think she might want to download books from, say, Smashwords or some of the other self-publishing sites, then no, she can't do that with a Kindle--at least not without being pretty tech savvy.

I am not sure how the Kindle lending works, as I don't have a Kindle, but I accidentally clicked on a Kindle library book the other day and it looks like it takes you right to the Amazon site, where you can download the book directly, even though it counts as a library book? I am sure someone else will know. That would be easier than borrowing books with a Nook, if so; you have to go through Adobe Digital Editions and sideload library books with a Nook. It's not hard to do and B&N gives demos and instructions in the store, but it is a little more fuss.

Does she have Facebook? If so, you will want to introduce her to the piggies--Cheap E-reads (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210) for the Nook or Kindle on the Cheap (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Kindle-on-the-Cheap/183663855030523). They have websites, too (and a lot more other, more specific feeds), but it's easier to keep up on Facebook. Lots of freebies and books for $5 or less.

Theatregirl1122
12-06-2011, 04:11 AM
TG, I own a Nook so I may be a little biased here, but I played a bit with the Kindle Touch a few weeks ago and I found it to be kind of flimsy feeling. There is are little arrow-buttons that I found a little clumsy to use and I didn't find the interface to be particularly intuitive. Best Buy has both the Nook and Kindle Touch on display so you can play with both.

I don't actually have time to go to stores or the real world between now and exams so I'm trying to do everything online but I will definitely take her to best buy after Christmas to look. (I'm planning to order one online from best buy)

She does have facebook. I'll let her know about those. Thanks prancer! It does seem like you check the kindle book out and then it takes you to Amazon to download it. So that does seem convenient.

Spinner
12-06-2011, 04:50 AM
I don't actually have time to go to stores or the real world between now and exams so I'm trying to do everything online but I will definitely take her to best buy after Christmas to look. (I'm planning to order one online from best buy)

She does have facebook. I'll let her know about those. Thanks prancer! It does seem like you check the kindle book out and then it takes you to Amazon to download it. So that does seem convenient.

Just making a suggestion here...if she tries both devices and likes the Nook Simple Touch better, please consider ordering it from a Barnes & Noble store. There's no difference in price, they'll ship it for free and you'll have helped an actual store with sales.

I hope she likes whatever she chooses. I just read my first book on my new Simple Touch and couldn't be happier with the whole experience. Plus it's fun knowing I can take it into a store and sometimes have a coupon show up for a free treat in the cafe and I can take advantage of B&N's Free Book Fridays.

Prancer
12-06-2011, 04:58 AM
I just read my first book on my new Simple Touch and couldn't be happier with the whole experience.

*cough*