PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Prancer
11-16-2011, 06:28 PM
I read a rave review of the Kindle Fire on a blog yesterday, but I think Wired reviews carry more weight, and Wired is unimpressed: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/11/kindle-fire/

CNET is equally lukewarm about the Nook Tablet; there is a comparison of the Fire and NT at the end of the review: http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/barnes-noble-nook-tablet/4505-3126_7-35059751.html

I really wanted a tablet when they first came out, but I've been able to play with several versions for a few days at a time since and I am kind of meh about them now. I find that I use my Nook Color as a reader nearly all the time and rarely as a tablet. If I'm out and need something quickly, it just isn't as fast as my cell phone and it's sometimes more annoying to use. Someone on another discussion board I belong to described tablets as "passive entertainment delivery systems" and for me, at least, I think that's true. And that's just not something I really use except for reading; I'm not into watching video on small screens or playing a lot of games. If I have a choice between a computer and a tablet, I'll take the computer for the higher functionality, and there is nearly always a computer somewhere nearby.

This is not to say that I won't be happy to get one for Christmas, mind you, but I think that tablets, like e-readers, might be still be something of a niche market item.

DORISPULASKI
11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
My husband got a Kindle Fire for himself. It arrived today. It plays youtube very well indeed, and icenetwork acceptably.

topaz
11-16-2011, 10:25 PM
My husband got a Kindle Fire for himself. It arrived today. It plays youtube very well indeed, and icenetwork acceptably.

Sounds like what my Nook Color, which I bought in Feb does now. :shuffle:

DORISPULASKI
11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Probably. I have never used the Nook color-I can't say.

However, the sound quality is good with the Kindlefire, and now that I am a little better with the sizing, I'd give it a better than acceptable on icenework.

If I were to criticize something about it, I dislike the cloud computing direction that amazon is trying to take the Kindle Fire in-that's why it has a relatively small sized storage-Amazon wants you to buy cloud space for your extra stuff.

However, you can still off load stuff to your computer-so you really don't need to buy cloud space for it. I just don't like where I see this going.

Heck, TV used to be free. Now I pay more a month for it than I do for electricity.

jlai
11-17-2011, 12:54 AM
I just got a Kindle Fire (because I aaaabbbbbsolluuutely need to watch GP in France while I go to sectional championship :drama: )! And I can't wait until Nook Tablet comes out because I won't be near a Barnes and Nobles during my travel.

Just tried Icenetwork. It plays just fine. Not great but not bad

ETA: But I reserve the right to return my Kindle Fire in exchange for a Nook Tablet. :eville:

Prancer
11-17-2011, 12:58 AM
If I were to criticize something about it, I dislike the cloud computing direction that amazon is trying to take the Kindle Fire in-that's why it has a relatively small sized storage-Amazon wants you to buy cloud space for your extra stuff.

However, you can still off load stuff to your computer-so you really don't need to buy cloud space for it. I just don't like where I see this going.

Everything is cloud-oriented these days, which makes my computer programmer husband crazy. He thinks it's all a very bad idea to rely on cloud storage, but people do it all the time now.

Spinner
11-17-2011, 04:14 AM
The new Nook tablet is really amazing so far. Overall improved usage compared to the Nook Color is quite noticeable. I've played with it much so far and am being VERRRRRRRRY tempted by it. Would be fantastic for traveling and the improved screen resolution (along with the special anti-glare glass) made for easy reading.

jlai
11-17-2011, 04:21 AM
The new Nook tablet is really amazing so far. Overall improved usage compared to the Nook Color is quite noticeable. I've played with it much so far and am being VERRRRRRRRY tempted by it. Would be fantastic for traveling and the improved screen resolution (along with the special anti-glare glass) made for easy reading.

It's out already? I thought it's out on the 18th

Spinner
11-17-2011, 04:48 AM
It's out already? I thought it's out on the 18th

Yup, most stores received them yesterday. B&N had them shipped early in response to Amazon doing the same.

It's really too bad most media is comparing only the Kindle Fire to the iPad. From what I've learned, the Fire is more like last year's Nook Color. The new Nook Tablet has more tech specs that are similar to the iPad than the Fire.

jlai
11-17-2011, 06:03 AM
Darn, I drove the opposite direction today and didn't go by B&N.

Anyway, I'm watching IN on Fire now, and it plays okay, but gosh I wish there were physical volume control.

DORISPULASKI
11-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Everything is cloud-oriented these days, which makes my computer programmer husband crazy. He thinks it's all a very bad idea to rely on cloud storage, but people do it all the time now.

Yes, and I definitely agree with him.

It is clearly an attempt to make palatable and then monetize something that has been free. And it comes with attendant risks to your data.

It amuses me because it is a return to the 1980ish version of IBM's VM. You have a relatively dumb PC (these days Ipad lookalike) as a terminal, and your entire life is on a mainframe (these days server) somewhere off in cyberspace (in those days, Sterling Forest ;) ). Indeed, you could go anywhere in the company, any state, any country, and sit down at a random desk and work like you were at home without any delay, loss or learning curve (except that overseas, you needed to use gml (very similar to html) to cope with the differences in printers set up for foreign languages). You could even do it at home. Needless to say, the PC concept won massively over this prototypical "cloud" concept, partially because IBM wasn't selling storage on their own big machines to PC buyers, but also because people liked having control of their own machine, software and data, and not being at the mercy of the corporate gods in the sky.

I do wonder why people are so interested in buying into a concept today that they so strongly rejected 30 years ago.

jlai
11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Last week in Colorado i went to a radio shack and asked if they had a nook tablet
The person said yes and went to the back and brought back a kindle fire
i think b&n needs to do better at getting their products to stores

VIETgrlTerifa
11-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Last week in Colorado i went to a radio shack and asked if they had a nook tablet
The person said yes and went to the back and brought back a kindle fire
i think b&n needs to do better at getting their products to stores

It's at Best Buy, Walmart, Staples, Books-a-Million and Barnes & Noble stores. To be honest, I think those are the most important ones to hit for an electronic device that is also centered on being an e-reader as much as being an everything-in-one device. That said, it will also be available at Target, Radio Shack, and QVC for the holidays.

jlai
11-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Okay, I've played with both Nook tablet and fire at length and here're my comparisons:

First thing first: When it comes to playing icenetwork, I'll vote for Nook Tablet all the way. I have trouble getting the Fire to go to full screen and I also have trouble with the controls once it starts playing. Nook also plays Netflix beautifully.

The other thing about Nook is the SD storage. The Fire's cloud drove me nuts. The fire only accepts certain files in the first place, so if the files you email to kindle aren't the right format, it won't show up at all. Sure, it may send you a little email saying it rejects the file, but who wants to go through all that just to upload some personal stuff? On top of that, for some reason I have trouble seeing my cloud in Docs. (and the fire doesn't come with the cable that connects you to the computer so you can't do a USB file transfer) That to me is a deal breaker--I actually took it back to the store and get a nook tablet instead. The nook feels better in the hand for sure. It also seems to charge faster though I haven't really tested that one seriously.

But that doesn't mean Nook is perfect. The SD slot is kinda hard to get to; the 'n' button is harder to press than the Fire's button, and on top of that, Nook relies more on that little button than Fire, which relies more on the on-screen menu. Nook reads Epub (a big plus) but not in Asian fonts (a real bummer); the menus are slightly less intuitive than Fire (though not a deal breaker). Also, there seems to be less free apps (or apps in general) available. Nook also doesn't play DRM-Mp4 videos, but then neither does Fire (not without tweaking apps anyway) The Epub thing and the apps are a real bummer, but then I guess there's no perfect product for that price. (Or perhaps I can root that thing eventually and solve some of these problems, lol)

So my suggestion? If you're already buying things from Amazon regularly, Fire may be your thing. But since I'm not a regular Amazon user, half of the things they offer aren't useful, and I opted for the Nook. (Wait till someone finds a way to jailbreak this thing to make my Asian epubs work :EVILLE: )

jlai
11-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I have also concluded my I-touch is the best thing ever
it does everything except flash and certain video formats
With these mini tablets you pay for irs handiness but with fewer functions