PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

AxelAnnie
10-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Kindle will be coming out with a 10.1 screen next year.

I have a tab.....Samsung Galaxy 10.1.........and I love it.....but it is a little to big (for me) to take everywhere. I had the Galaxy 7 inch..........about the size of the Kindle, and I loved the size (the new Tab has way better features)....my kindle though, goes everywhere.......

I watched a video demo about the Kindle Fire's browser, called Silk (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Color-Multi-touch-Display-Wi-Fi/dp/B0051VVOB2/ref=amb_link_357575542_7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=07M4K7P3QW84FX8REX1Z&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321696362&pf_rd_i=507846#silk) - a "cloud accelerated split browser". It sounds really like it could (if it works as advertised) be fabulous.

Frankly............there are just too many things. I used to try to keep up....but it is not possible. My brain just won't handle it!

modern_muslimah
10-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Bumping up this thread as Amazon is announcing its new Kindle touch for $99 and the new

Kindle :EVILLE:

ETA: Regular kindle is down to $79.

Amazon is working real hard to price other competitors out of the e-book market aren't they? :EVILLE:

I really wonder what competitor (B&N, Sony, Kobo, etc.) can compete with $79 and $99 e-readers? I'm thinking none. :shuffle:

Prancer
10-01-2011, 03:08 AM
I have a tab.....Samsung Galaxy 10.1.........and I love it.....but it is a little to big (for me) to take everywhere.

I want a tablet, but that's my problem with them--they're too big to throw in my purse and haul around. My Nook Color is awfully heavy as it is.

I did find a small, light tablet that I liked a lot, but the reviews aren't very good and I think the particular technology they were focusing on isn't going to last :wuzrobbed.

But tablets make me droooooooooool. My Nook Color is very nice, but it's not really a tablet and it shows.

jlai
10-01-2011, 03:11 AM
What's the cheapest and user-friendly device I can get if I wanna watch Icenetwork on a WIFI-enabled bus (or some place like that?)

ETA: How does Nook Color work out when watching skating videos?

Spinner
10-01-2011, 04:34 AM
You all should keep in mind too--all those low prices Amazon is now offering are for the ad-supported devices. You can get them without ads for an increased price, almost identical in most cases to all the Nook models.

Zemgirl
10-01-2011, 05:40 AM
You all should keep in mind too--all those low prices Amazon is now offering are for the ad-supported devices. You can get them without ads for an increased price, almost identical in most cases to all the Nook models.
From what I gather, the ads aren't intrusive - it's just the screensavers. But you can't buy special offers Kindles if you're not in the US, only the full-priced ones, and the Fire and the Kindle touch 3G are unavailable, period. So for international readers, this announcement doesn't change much. I do like my Kindle, though, so it's not like I was going to get one of the new ones.

modern_muslimah, I thought one can get a Kobo for under $100 in many places - am I wrong?

Spinner
10-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Another note about the Nook--B&N just confirmed ability to purchase and download content directly over wifi anywhere in the world as long as you have a US or Canadian based credit card linked to your bn.com account. They also emailed out coupons to many customers for $25 off Nook Color and $10 off the other models.

woodstock
10-01-2011, 05:03 PM
This probably is true for BN accounts also, but my amazon account was compromised by a hacker, forcing me to close it. I lost all my kindle books because of it! (since they are attached to your account, and for some reason they have not figured away to switch over purchases like that to new accounts made by the kindle owner) However, kindle support was really helpful in setting up my kindle to my new account with amazon. And they emailed me a list of all my kindle books and calculated the cost to re-purchase them, plus gave me a amazon credit for the cost to replace all my lost books. (BTW, it was really obvious my account was hacked and not my fault it had to be closed, so that may be why they were so generous). A big pain, yes. But I will say amazon customer service was top notch in fixing the problem as best a possible. They credited me around $200 to rebuy my books onto my new account. More than fair.

modern_muslimah
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
modern_muslimah, I thought one can get a Kobo for under $100 in many places - am I wrong?

The old wifi model was selling for $99.00 in some places (notably Borders). The new touch model is selling for $129.00.

topaz
10-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Amazon is working real hard to price other competitors out of the e-book market aren't they? :EVILLE:

I really wonder what competitor (B&N, Sony, Kobo, etc.) can compete with $79 and $99 e-readers? I'm thinking none. :shuffle:

Nook wi fi is $139 that's comparable to the Kindle Touch which is $99.

Nook Color is $249 now, but its a e reader tablet. It actually uses Android OS for the tablet portion, Amazon Kindle Fire is not. Also, Nook Color is currently "rootable". I know a few folks who have rooted their Nook Color which makes the Nook Color an actual 7 in Android Tablet for $249.

modern_muslimah
10-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Nook wi fi is $139 that's comparable to the Kindle Touch which is $99.

You think so? I think a lot of people will decide to keep the $40 and go with the Kindle Touch (with ads). The Kindle Touch without ads is $139.00 but I think more people will decide to live with the ads for the cheaper version.

Nook Color is $249 now, but its a e reader tablet. It actually uses Android OS for the tablet portion, Amazon Kindle Fire is not. Also, Nook Color is currently "rootable". I know a few folks who have rooted their Nook Color which makes the Nook Color an actual 7 in Android Tablet for $249.

I know. However, again the Kindle is cheaper and it will probably rooted in the near future (where hackers have a will there is a way).

I'm sure there are people who will choose the Nook over the Kindle (I'm one of them) but it's going to be a lot more who are going to pick the Kindle because of price.

jlai
10-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm thinking about buying Nook but it's only because I've used their physical store as meeting places so many times (without buying anything) and it's only right to support them in some way....

Prancer
10-02-2011, 02:58 AM
You think so? I think a lot of people will decide to keep the $40 and go with the Kindle Touch (with ads). The Kindle Touch without ads is $139.00 but I think more people will decide to live with the ads for the cheaper version.

Gah, not me. I get so sick of ads. It's well worth $40 to me not to have them.

However, again the Kindle is cheaper and it will probably rooted in the near future (where hackers have a will there is a way).

While that's true, I wouldn't count on that. B&N has taken an extremely laissez-faire approach to people rooting their Nook Colors because B&N knows it's a selling point. Amazon, however, is likely to not take the same approach because they are developing tablets. Why would they want you to buy a cheap Kindle and have it be a functional tablet when they want to sell you a tablet instead?

I think it will be a lot like jailbreaking a cell phone. Cell companies have always known when people have done it (they CAN tell) but now they are beginning to penalize people for that.

Allen
10-02-2011, 03:35 AM
Gah, not me. I get so sick of ads. It's well worth $40 to me not to have them.

The ads don't bother me. They are only on the screensaver, so I don't really ever have to see them.

topaz
10-02-2011, 04:03 AM
I know. However, again the Kindle is cheaper and it will probably rooted in the near future (where hackers have a will there is a way).

I'm sure there are people who will choose the Nook over the Kindle (I'm one of them) but it's going to be a lot more who are going to pick the Kindle because of price.

Alot of people are buying of the ipad and imacs not due to the price but due the quality of the product and what the product can do for them.

Amazon created their "own" browser and OS so they could prevent hacking. Amazon's main goal to create a venue for their products and services, i.e Amazon Instant Video. If hackers could hack into the Amazon's video library and cloud server, it would be mayhem. Amazon just signed a big deal with Fox to offer their movies and tv shows in their Instant Video library. This is big because of Netflix losing the Starz deal. Starz may even sign with Amazon, ie. they can make money with streaming Starz and having Starz products to buy. It would be a win/win for both Starz and Amazon.

I do think the Amazon Fire will do well, if it performs well out of the gate. There are few things that I fell would make it stronger, i.e micro SD card slot(it doesn't have). There are going to be some things consumers will think the Fire can do that it wont' be able to do nor do it well.

The fire's success will depend on how well it functions in the real world and what Barnes and Noble do with the Nook. Barnes and Noble as a company the Nook Color has been a savior for them and the company is not giving up on the product.

B&N will announce if we'll see 1 or 2 Nook Color product updates. I read on a tech web site that B&N is coming out with Nook Color 2(encore and/acclaim) shortly that will have Netflix app, ESPN and hbo go apps. I'm sure it will have more "android" apps and possibly run Google Gingerbread and maybe Honeycomb.