PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

missing
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Thank you everybody for your information and insights.

The idea of prepaying with a gift card is brilliant and I never would have thought of it!

orbitz
07-11-2011, 07:53 PM
The new Nook seems pretty cool. It's smaller, lighter and touch-screen control. I want to see what what the next version of Kindle will do though.

modern_muslimah
07-11-2011, 08:17 PM
All I'll say is by getting a Nook you support a bookstore and in turn it can support you--in person--whenever you need it for your Nook needs/concerns. ;)

I really think this is very important, especially if your e-reader breaks quickly. My first nook's (old B&W model) screen broke in less than 24 hours. It just died for no apparent reason. It was great to be able to take it to a store, have someone look at it and then give me a new one on the spot. No having to mail it in or be put on hold while waiting for someone to help me. That will always be a plus for B&N in my book.

Prancer
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I really think this is very important, especially if your e-reader breaks quickly. My first nook's (old B&W model) screen broke in less than 24 hours. It just died for no apparent reason. It was great to be able to take it to a store, have someone look at it and then give me a new one on the spot. No having to mail it in or be put on hold while waiting for someone to help me. That will always be a plus for B&N in my book.

ITA. I've never taken one, but they have Nook classes at my B&N for all new buyers, which is another nice thing. Technology makes a lot of people nervous. B&N also tempts you to take your Nook to the store for all kinds of reasons. I see people with Nooks buying print all the time; I do it myself. I have a reader, but my husband and kids don't, so I buy books for them, then head over to the cafe to check out the books you can read in the store and use the mighty eagle in Angry Birds to take out a level is driving me crazy and have whatever cafe special pops up when I walk in.

People think that buying a Nook means giving up the bookstore, but I go just as much as I used to. And while I don't buy as much in the store, I somehow end up giving B&N more money. :shuffle: I figure it all goes toward keeping the bookstores afloat and we still need bookstores.

pilgrimsoul
07-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Another really nice thing about having a Nook is the in-store support. If you have any sort of problem with your Nook & don't feel like dealing with it on the phone, you can just take it to a B&N store, hand it over & have the problem diagnosed & resolved WHILE YOU WAIT. Pretty sweet.

judiz
07-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Another really nice thing about having a Nook is the in-store support. If you have any sort of problem with your Nook & don't feel like dealing with it on the phone, you can just take it to a B&N store, hand it over & have the problem diagnosed & resolved WHILE YOU WAIT. Pretty sweet.

I've actually been impressed with Kindle's support, especially since you can ask them to call you back and so far, they've called me back exactly when I've asked them to.

Spinner
07-12-2011, 06:48 AM
The new Nook seems pretty cool. It's smaller, lighter and touch-screen control. I want to see what what the next version of Kindle will do though.

Just wanted to add that true, the new Nook is smaller, but the screen size is exactly the same as the previous model (and Kindle's).

jlai
10-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Bumping up this thread as Amazon is announcing its new Kindle touch for $99 and the new

Kindle :EVILLE:

ETA: Regular kindle is down to $79.

myhoneyhoney
10-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm really interested in the Kindle Fire.

AxelAnnie
10-01-2011, 12:46 AM
I love my Kindle. I got one of the first to come out (hubby got it for me). It is my favorite thing. The new Kindle Fire (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051VVOB2/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=7892149688&ref=pd_sl_je9ik9x9d_b)looks fab. However, it does not have the 3G access.

We were just in Mendocino for a few days. Very sketchy phone service, no internet, not even my trusty Verizon Broadband............but my Kindle! Supreme. Downloaded a couple books.

I am going to wait for the 3G version of the Kindle Fire.

I take my Kindle everywhere. I love the fact that I can look up words, and that I can buy (really easily) other books by the same author. I have over 500 books in my archives (and Kindle hasn't been out that long).

Hannahclear
10-01-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm really interested in the Kindle Fire.

Me too. I haven't got an e-reader yet, but one with a web browser and cloud data storage for $200. I think they might be able to count me in.

The only thing I was wondering.....you don't need a service plan, like with a monthly bill, do you? I'm not interested in that.

myhoneyhoney
10-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't think it requires a service plan but you would need access to wifi. I've been using the Kindle app on my droid incredible and I enjoy it. It might be time to "upgrade" but then there are the tablets.... so many choices!

Lara
10-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Me too. I haven't got an e-reader yet, but one with a web browser and cloud data storage for $200. I think they might be able to count me in.

The only thing I was wondering.....you don't need a service plan, like with a monthly bill, do you? I'm not interested in that.

The Fire is wifi only, no 3G. So no service plan, but you might be restricted in where you can use it. If they do release a 3G version someday I definitely would expect a monthly fee unlike the e-ink versions.

AxelAnnie
10-01-2011, 01:18 AM
The Fire is wifi only, no 3G. So no service plan, but you might be restricted in where you can use it. If they do release a 3G version someday I definitely would expect a monthly fee unlike the e-ink versions.

Kindle has always come with 3G. There is no service plan involved. And, it works everywhere. I don't know what their network actually is, but it is, in my book (pun intended) fabulous.

topaz
10-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I have a nook color and I love it.

I heard that Barnes & Noble will be having two Nook updates. Nook Encore and Nook Acclaim. The Nook Acclaim is suppose to be 10.1 in screen for approximately $349. We'll see when it is announced and what the price will be.