PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Ziggy
01-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Nooks just forced the upgrade on the device so you cannot sideload apps. Boo.

It can probably be quite easily hacked.

chipso1
01-05-2012, 01:09 AM
I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I am LOVING it so far! :)

BigB08822
01-05-2012, 03:54 AM
I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I am LOVING it so far! :)

My one regret is that I did not upgrade my Kindle. I got the 3G so the price difference between it and the Fire was probably $70 or so. I had a $100 Amazon gift card so I should have returned the Kindle and used my giftcard along with the refund to buy the Fire. Oh well, I didn't know if I would even like it, hindsight is 20/20 and all...

jlai
01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Justread some headline about bn maybe spinning off the ereader business

Prancer
01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Justread some headline about bn maybe spinning off the ereader business

Not surprising, really, as I think Liberty Media wanted that all along, but it will pretty much mean the end for the bookstores.

topaz
01-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Does anyone's Nook Color not open to where you left off reading in a (EPUB) book? I'm trying to figure out if there's a problem with my Nook or if that's just the way it is.

I was having numerous problems with it before and upgraded to the latest OS. I'm trying to see if that helped things or if things are still glitchy w/ my Nook.

I'll have to check this out. I'll get back to you :)

Prancer
01-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I downloaded the update for the Nook Color and was annoyed with it at first, but now that I have everything set up, I am beyond happy with the improvement. So much faster and I lovelovelove the improvement in shelf organization.

jlai
01-06-2012, 04:13 AM
The Nook color update didn't improve Icenetwork speed unfortunately. Netflix seems fine though. (Glad I didn't get that for myself though I tested IN on the device .) I also prefer the old Nook color menu where you can touch the screen pull down to bring up the menu. Now you have to press the side button or the n button. I hate pressing the n button

Anyway, you wanna Nook tablet if you wanna watch skating on it. :)

Ziggy
01-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Okay, so I seriously need an e-reader because:

a) I hate having stuff - please no more books cluttering my living space and no more having to pack and haul heavy boxes every time I move

b) I hate having to hold books open, especially paperbacks that won't open fully (and hardbacks are expensive and heavy) :drama:

c) I am not able to make notes in books because it SPOILS them :drama:

d) the fact you can easily access all your notes and carry them across different devices is amazing for academic work, journalism and my OCD :cheer:

Nook is out of the question because I am not NA based (and I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a keyboard).

So I'll be getting a Kindle.

A question to those of you who have it.

Do you really need a cover for it?

For carrying it around, obviously yes, so it doesn't get scratched or chipped while it's in your bag.

But I mean for reading.

I would much rather be able to just hold it with one hand and not have to flip open anything and not have the rather decent design spoiled by some ugly ass case or skin.

I guess I'd be looking to buy something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Kindle-Sleeve-Keyboard-Black/dp/B003VPABNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=fiona-hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1326098075&sr=1-1) for carrying it around.

But as far as reading goes, I am a bit worried that over time, there'd be really ugly marks left in the places where I hold it with my sweaty palms, excreting reptilian fluids. :drama:

Maybe some kind of skin that will only cover the sides? But it would still look fugly. :drama:

Another extremely serious and upsetting first world problem that I have is the decision where to buy it from. :drama:

I am having a real headache with the whole international availability and pricing issue.

I've been googling for hours now but managed to find no clear answers on the issues of availability and pricing. :(

It looks like the UK store is cheaper (because of the Agency system in the US :scream:) but the US store has more choice?

And it looks like the international version of the US store (for people in funny weird countries like Poland) has limited availability and heinous surcharges?

I guess there's two things I could do.

I could order from the UK site via one of my friends travelling between UK and Poland. They'd pick it up in the UK for me and I would use my Amazon UK account, registered to a UK address to buy books.

Another thing I could do is make a US account registered to Prancer's house but order the Kindle to be delivered to Poland where I just happen to be on holiday at the moment, eating lots of pierogi. :shuffle:

I would prefer the former solution because I really wouldn't want to suffer US English and my Kindle would only last as long as I came across the first "color" or "pedophile," at which point it would get hurled against the nearest wall with great force. :mad:

(I've just come across "color" in Sophie's World that I am reading at the moment and I got so upset, I needed a double dose of Xanax :()

But there is a problem with both of these solutions. Wouldn't Amazon see that my IP is Polish and see that the books are being delivered to Poland and end up rerouting me to the international site anyway?

(I don't actually expect you to answer that question, given you're pretty much all NA based ;))

It looks like some British expats managed to use the UK one abroad without problems through their British account. I hope that's the case because if I end up paying more to buy from the UK store and then will only be able to use the international store anyway... :mad:

Why does it all have to be so complicateeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. :drama:

#firstworldproblems

DORISPULASKI
01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Ziggy,
For the keyboard version of the Kindle (which I have and which you sound like you're going to order), you need the cover for storage, and take it off before reading. It's easy to damage the screen if the cover isn't on. I fell asleep on it twice, and broke the screen both times. Amazon replaced it for free (since it was within the first year), and had the replacement to my house the next day.

I hold it in one hand to read, and operate the page turning buttons with my thumb. There are page turning buttons on both sides of the display so that pages can be flipped with either hand. It is lighter than a paperback.

Although the old style pre-Silk browser is clunky, there is something to be said for having a free 3G web connection, too. It can be found under the Experimental Menu, accessible from the home page. It is nice to be a passenger in a car, reading FSU while driving down the highway, and reflecting that I did not have to pay for an ISP.

Ziggy
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks Doris.

Yes, I shall definitely be ordering the 3G Keyboard one.

I just tried to order from the US and it turned out that once the shipping and customs charges have been added, I'd actually pay more than I would for a UK one. :/

So I might go with the option of having a friend who's going to UK in February pick it up for me. The UK store selection is a little smaller but I should be able to get away with temporarily swapping to the US store, by changing my location, hopefully should I ever need it.

Skittl1321
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
My husband didn't have a cover for his Kindle Keyboard for the longest time. However, I made him one due to visibility- I was worried I'd set something down on it, because it was dark colored and blended into the pile of stuff on our end tables. The cover I made for him is a wrap, so you don't take it off, just open it up, and flip the front cover around to the back. I think a sleeve style cover would be a pain, and another thing to track.

I don't doubt that dorispulaski's cover broke when she fell asleep- but it is kind of baffling to me how that could happen, unless she fell asleep ON it. Or fell asleep and dropped it.

I think if you are just reading in your house, a cover is no necessary at all. But you do need to take care of it.

Ziggy
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't doubt that dorispulaski's cover broke when she fell asleep- but it is kind of baffling to me how that could happen, unless she fell asleep ON it. Or fell asleep and dropped it.

Some people move while they sleep.

Skittl1321
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I guess I always set my book/reader on the end table when I fall asleep, I don't leave it in bed with me. If a cover fixed the problem she was having, then setting it off the bed would have done the same thing. If she has time to put the cover on, then she clearly isn't falling asleep AS she reads.

Ziggy
01-09-2012, 02:39 PM
I think the only way we can solve this is by installing a camera at Doris's house for a month and then analysing the footage. :COP: