PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

BigB08822
01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I got a Kindle as a graduation gift and I absolutely love it. The only complaint is that there is no built in light so I can't read in bed if my bf is sleeping unless I want to turn on a lamp which is inconsiderate to him. I am sure they have some kind of attachment but it seems an obvious choice to add on.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Having no built-in light is annoying at night, but I prefer the e-ink E-readers because it's so much easier on the eyes than the new tablet readers. It's just like having a regular book in your hands that comes with a book store and other features.

The Village Idiot
01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Does anyone's Nook Color not open to where you left off reading in a (EPUB) book? I'm trying to figure out if there's a problem with my Nook or if that's just the way it is.

I was having numerous problems with it before and upgraded to the latest OS. I'm trying to see if that helped things or if things are still glitchy w/ my Nook.

Bostonfan
01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
I had the older version of Kindle. I bought myself the Kindle Fire a few weeks ago and am loving it. No issues for me. I gave my mom the older Kindle and I'm able to loan her my titles as she wants them. So far, so good!

Prancer
01-03-2012, 08:05 PM
So far, I lurve my Nook Tablet. So light. Absolutely no problems reading it as far as the resolution goes. Have downloaded a few trial versions of magazines and quite like those on the Nook. Downloaded multiple ePub books and a few of the special buys on B&N (less than $5 each).

Cheap e-reads is your friend: http://the-cheap.net/

I find it easiest to follow them on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210 There are days where the piggies completely take over your feed, but I like that better than some of the other things that come in my feed.

All the books on their list are $5 or less, and they often find freebies. They have some specialized feeds (romance, Christian, YA, Apps, etc.) and another line called Ten Below for books that are $10 and under.

Oh, yeah, and you Kindle people have lines, too: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Kindle-on-the-Cheap/183663855030523 and https://kindleonthecheap.wordpress.com/

Does anyone's Nook Color not open to where you left off reading in a (EPUB) book? I'm trying to figure out if there's a problem with my Nook or if that's just the way it is.

Every now and then, my Nook Color gets kind of "hung up" and doesn't load very quickly, but I have never had it actually lose its place in a book.

NancyNC
01-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Oooh thanks Prancer!!! I have liked them on FB. :) I love books. I love cheap. I love cheap books. :-D

BigB08822
01-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the links, Prancer. I liked the Kindle one. :)

orbitz
01-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Is anyone disappointed that the black & white E-book readers don't display pictures in the book very well? I like reading books with my Nook Touch, but I'm a little disappointed that the photographs or illustrations in the book don't display very well. I know its main purpose if for reading text, but if I'm reading an autobiography, for example, then I really want to see the photos included in the book.

Spinner
01-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Is anyone disappointed that the black & white E-book readers don't display pictures in the book very well? I like reading books with my Nook Touch, but I'm a little disappointed that the photographs or illustrations in the book don't display very well. I know its main purpose if for reading text, but if I'm reading an autobiography, for example, then I really want to see the photos included in the book.

I also have the Nook Simple Touch. With some images, if you adjust the font size they get better.

pair mom
01-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Are any other Sony PRS T1 owners having trouble with battery life? While it's advertised to last about a month...I'm recharging every 3-4 days! Haven't contacted Sony customer service yet...but just wondered what others are experiencing...:) And no, the Wifi is not "on"...Comments?

jlai
01-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Nooks just forced the upgrade on the device so you cannot sideload apps. Boo.

I must say the apps are one thing Kindle Fire has over Nook, which has expensive apps and a poor seelection at that

NancyNC
01-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Nooks just forced the upgrade on the device so you cannot sideload apps. Boo.

I googled to see if it can be set back to the previous version and it appears that it can, so you can still sideload apps. However, being completely no technik, I have no idea what's involved with setting it back to the previous version... :confused: Perhaps someone can help with that. I wasn't planning on doing it because I wasn't going to sideload anything anyway, but it would be nice to know how.

jlai
01-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I googled to see if it can be set back to the previous version and it appears that it can, so you can still sideload apps. However, being completely no technik, I have no idea what's involved with setting it back to the previous version... :confused: Perhaps someone can help with that. I wasn't planning on doing it because I wasn't going to sideload anything anyway, but it would be nice to know how.

I did look into the rollback option. Unfortunately, rolling back means resetting the whole device and resinstalling everything again :wuzrobbed The new sideloading without rollback option so far hasn't worked for me.

Sideloading is important to me because without it I can read only English (or western languages) books on this device. Thankfully, I sideloaded the one major Chinese epub reading app I needed before the update but I wish I had uploaded another that reads Chinese (or Japnaese) pdbs before Nook quashed the ability to do so. :(

modern_muslimah
01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Are any other Sony PRS T1 owners having trouble with battery life? While it's advertised to last about a month...I'm recharging every 3-4 days! Haven't contacted Sony customer service yet...but just wondered what others are experiencing...:) And no, the Wifi is not "on"...Comments?

I have a 350 and it lasts two weeks before I have to charge it. There is no is way that you should have recharge a brand new e-ink e-reader every 3-4 days. I have read about bugs with the Sony T1 batteries. You may want to take it back to wherever you brought it from and exchange it. Even my Nook classic (which was criticized for having relatively poor battery life) usually went a week or more before I had to charge it again.

Skittl1321
01-04-2012, 10:49 PM
DH bought me the Kindle with keyboard (but no ads)

My husband says he regrets spending the extra money to not get ads. We saw one with it, and they are barely noticeable. They come up on the screensaver, and even without ads you still get random pictures on it.

I used his for the first time over Christmas and found it to be delightful. Buying a book from the couch when the day got boring was quick and easy, and reading was great- no glare no matter what light I was in, not something I can say for my phone (or anyone's ipad) or even a book. Plus my arms didn't get tired like hardcovers sometimes cause.

We set up the regular kindle for his grandmother and am glad that we got the keyboard- it is much nicer. I also played with a kindle fire, and it was nice, but it's not really a kindle, it's more like a tablet.