PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

orbitz
12-12-2011, 07:20 PM
If you get a Kindlefire for Christmas, buying a capacitive stylus fixes the touch screen issue by a lot.

You mean user should buy a separate pen-like device to touch the screen? Steve Job would've nixed that idea immediately and screamed at his team to fix the issue asap :)

DORISPULASKI
12-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Steve would have expected I would understand a bunch of icons that look like nothing much to me, and that I would not need a manual when a nonvisual person like myself has trouble with that sort of thing without something to read.

Yes, he would have hated needing a pen. But a 6$ pen is a lot cheaper than shelling out for an Ipad. Big fingers like my husband's have trouble with small touch screens. For ref, he also has trouble with the Iphone that way. The pen is a godsend.

Prancer
12-13-2011, 03:11 AM
Why were they going bad?

When I worked at Barnes, the issue seemed to be a manufacturing one with the way the wires were built or how they were used with the nook. Usually, we'd replace it once and returning customers did not have a problem with the replacement.

The wires tend to break inside the cable just below the connector. In my case, they thought it was because of the way I charge it--the Nook sits on the edge of a table and the cable hangs straight down from there at an angle, always bent the same way. I now put the Nook in the middle of the table and change its position every now and then.

I was told that a lot of people leave the Nook charging while they read in bed (not that *I* would ever do such a thing) and the way they hold the Nook bends the wire right near the connection (the connection is at the bottom center; if you prop the Nook on your stomach or lap, you bend the heck out of the cable). Another problem--although not mine--appears to be that a lot of people jam the connector into the Nook. It's a tight fit and you have to plug the end in carefully. The clerk told me that she sees a lot of bent male connectors and damaged female connectors because of this.

The Nook Tablet is designed the same way, so if anyone gets one for Christmas, keep that in mind.

Meredith
12-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Don't buy a Kindle Fire just yet: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/technology/personaltech/amazons-fire-some-say-may-become-the-edsel-of-tablets.html

Argghhh. I thought I had done my homework. :(

Prancer
12-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Argghhh. I thought I had done my homework. :(

Amazon has promised an update soon, probably in the next two weeks. I'd wait and see how that goes. It sounds to me like they are rushing it, which usually doesn't work out very well, plus any update will address only the software problems (http://www.pcworld.com/article/246037/kindle_fire_customers_biggest_complaints.html), not the hardware issues. But Amazon is not Joe's Tablets and Oil Change and they have a lot riding on this, so the update may work some magic.

If you do decide to get one and it's for Christmas, you might want to take the advice here: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-Brick-Android-Tablet,news-13477.html

DORISPULASKI
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
If you have purchased one for somebody else from Amazon, clearly you should try the unit when you first receive it and let it update. In normal times, if something occurs to a Kindle during the warrantee period, you can get next day replacement. At Christmas, I'd pay for one day ship (under $10) In fact, if you have an Amazon account, Amazon probably already has your credit card number, so that is not a worry.

Meredith
12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Amazon has promised an update soon, probably in the next two weeks. I'd wait and see how that goes. It sounds to me like they are rushing it, which usually doesn't work out very well, plus any update will address only the software problems (http://www.pcworld.com/article/246037/kindle_fire_customers_biggest_complaints.html), not the hardware issues. But Amazon is not Joe's Tablets and Oil Change and they have a lot riding on this, so the update may work some magic.

If you do decide to get one and it's for Christmas, you might want to take the advice here: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Amazon-Kindle-Fire-Brick-Android-Tablet,news-13477.html

Thank you.

ETA that the unit was purchased, delivered, wrapped and sent to my son already. I will send him the articles Prancer made reference to and let him work the issues out for himself.

Ziggy
12-14-2011, 12:01 AM
You mean user should buy a separate pen-like device to touch the screen? Steve Job would've nixed that idea immediately and screamed at his team to fix the issue asap :)

And then make you pay triple the amount of the competitors' prices for the product. :P

Has Barnes & Noble been saved then? No worry about it going under?

Prancer
12-14-2011, 01:16 AM
And then make you pay triple the amount of the competitors' prices for the product. :P

And lock you out of anything that doesn't make Apple money.

Has Barnes & Noble been saved then? No worry about it going under?

I think Barnes and Noble is doomed :shuffle:, but they're still afloat for now.

modern_muslimah
12-14-2011, 01:39 AM
If you think she might want to download books from, say, Smashwords or some of the other self-publishing sites, then no, she can't do that with a Kindle--at least not without being pretty tech savvy.

I am not sure how the Kindle lending works, as I don't have a Kindle, but I accidentally clicked on a Kindle library book the other day and it looks like it takes you right to the Amazon site, where you can download the book directly, even though it counts as a library book? I am sure someone else will know. That would be easier than borrowing books with a Nook, if so; you have to go through Adobe Digital Editions and sideload library books with a Nook. It's not hard to do and B&N gives demos and instructions in the store, but it is a little more fuss.

This is exactly how it works and quite a few librarians are not happy about that.

Another option besides the Kindle Touch and the Nook STR is the Sony PRS-T1. Sony just knocked the price to $99.00 and it has no ads like the Kindle. It has wi-fi and allows users to download library e-books directly to their e-reader. I've also read though that the firmware on some Sony Readers has been buggy. However, it appears that Sony released an update to fix that. Plus, you can't read books from Amazon or B&N on the Sony (unless you're a bit tech savvy). It's another option though.

Ziggy
12-14-2011, 01:57 AM
And lock you out of anything that doesn't make Apple money.

That's the case with most electronic products nowadays though. :(

I think Barnes and Noble is doomed :shuffle:, but they're still afloat for now.

Why would anyone buy a Nook then? :confused:

For reasons other than making a valiant but ultimately inconsequential stand against Amazon's global dominance. :P

rfisher
12-14-2011, 02:03 AM
That's the case with most electronic products nowadays though. :(

For reasons other than making a valiant but ultimately inconsequential stand against Amazon's global dominance. :P

Um, why indeed? They're offering a pretty nice discount to former Border's Plus members. And would I want that tablet or the plain version?

Prancer
12-14-2011, 02:15 AM

Well, for one thing, even if B&N bookstores go under, the Nook will probably survive. It's the Nook that got Liberty Media to invest in B&N a few months ago; LM is interested in developing the tablets in particular, although they see the bookstores as potentially viable as well.

For another, B&N isn't likely to go under soon. They will probably limp along for a few more years yet and if that's the case, the Nook you buy now will probably be obsolete before they go under--and if it isn't, again, it should still be supported. In the meantime, people can take advantage of having the stores there if they have problems with their devices.

Ziggy
12-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks. :)

And yes, it's definitely much nicer to have in-store support.

NancyNC
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
So far, I lurve my Nook Tablet. So light. Absolutely no problems reading it as far as the resolution goes. Have downloaded a few trial versions of magazines and quite like those on the Nook. Downloaded multiple ePub books and a few of the special buys on B&N (less than $5 each). I need to read all of the hard copy books I have laying around yet unread before I go too wild on the eBook buying LOL. It was a great Christmas present! :kickass: